1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question Free up space on MX box

Discussion in 'Android TV boxes (Kodi, XBMC, etc)' started by enrabtap, Mar 26, 2016.

1. paulie57

paulie57 Regular member

Melody Your best is good enough for me lol ...........
    Cheers......
    Btw did you check out tongs links on his post ........

Melody1 likes this.
  2. Melody1

Melody1 Member

@paulie57

I downloaded tongs Njm / Awesome / Stallion and thank him for these.

moneysports no - can't find it on seo-michael, or can one download it from areswizard in box?

Always big THANKS to you/tongs/piopat etc who help us so much!

3. atghawkin

atghawkin Regular member

4. SOGLAD

SOGLAD Newbie

Here is my reply... Be VERY careful with ANDROID APPS! Tools like "DEFRAG" and "CLEANUP" can be quite destructive... "DEFRAG" sounded like a great tool because I keep my WIN7 clean and peppy ~ so why not "Defrag" my ANDROID MXQ too?

The Defrag tool was free and "I" ~ being anxious to speed up my MXQ to make it as efficient as possible (also the APP looked very cool too); I installed it... but at almost the same time I found a "Cleanup APP" for ANDROID MX ~ YES...

So OK... lets do the "Cleanup" first ~ that wipes empty directories, useless skeletons of other past APPs and removes and other useless stuff too... So life and my MXQ will be better! That cleanup took about 60 seconds.

So now the junk is gone and now it's time to "DEFRAG" and IT was done in about 60 seconds too ~ impressive! I tried it again and hey, it was done in about three seconds! YEA. The chart looked great too... My MXQ memory was in ship shape.

Then I read that POSSIBLY some of my 4 CPU Cores may not be running and 'enabling' them all fixes LOTS of issues... so I tried that too! Sure enough ~ it appeared that my other three cores were in a 'standby' mode (if you will) and on a sort-of 'on call' basis? So YEA! I want all 4 Cores blazing ~ don't you? Well I activated them but saw no improvement... another app uninstall.

NOW for the bad news
    ... Since then my WiFi and CAT-5 connections are more than unstable... in fact they are unpredictable and also my MXQ locks-up so frequently that I need to do a total power-down (unplug the power supply) to start over. Also I've reset the MXQ with my (only) friendly toothpick (just kidding) and started over at least three times, but my Internet connections remain like a Mex***n bus... maybe here today but maybe not?

Both my WiFi and Ethernet power-on options in the Menu keep randomly turning OFF and staying off ~ OR they are ON and I still can't connect?! So OK... they may be trying to communicate to my Router (a newer Netgear) so why not reserve BOTH MAC addresses from the MXQ (WiFi and CAT-5) and things got a little better but this MXQ is still like that bus ~ and without the Internet there is little joy with ANDROID TV... it's that simple.

*** Today I am seriously considering flashing and updating to ANDROID 5.1? I mean what do I have to loose? Please ~ anyone have any recommendations with that?

Before you ask ~ yes I did a full 'virgin' backup and tried a restore to this MXQ several times... I still have the same connection problems. I have 50% of internal storage available and ANDROID memory 'cleanup' often goes to about 40% and sometimes slightly less. XBMC added a lot of cool tools (and Arab sites too (I think)) but none of them including "Fresh Start" rescues me from the rabbit hole.

So that's it. After just two weeks of ownership this MXQ REMAINS a true adventure. I now know how to hunt for apps/zips and how to install them. In fact I got so tired of the USB Flash Drive trips that I use a FTP connection to transfer apps and and zips to the MXQ... but ONLY when I have a Internet connection ~ otherwise it's back to the Flash Drive, argggg

Friends, the words of wisdom still apply (although I didn't listen very well)... 'if it ain't broke'... and 'less is better'. Also, it's written on the pyramid walls ~ "back it up" but sometimes even that won't work...

I remain,
    SOGLAD

MXQ ANDROID Version: 4.4.1
    Kernel Version: 3.10.33
    Build: KOT49H20151223testkeys

5. Melody1

Melody1 Member

I use Clean Master and it seems reliable enough.

6. paulie57

paulie57 Regular member

Ive found in the past To sum it up the key to andriod boxes really is Internet speed and reliability, have set up boxes for mates of mine with slow Internet and the box can be iffy , set the same box on my own Internet which has top speed an works a dream , also stating the obvious keep cache clear frequently, keep addons tight as in don't overload the box with apps that are useless and should have little problems. ,
    The firmware you mention is working fine but should have no issues installin 5.1 lollypop
    Cheers ..........

Melody1 likes this.
  7. SOGLAD

SOGLAD Newbie

Melody1, thanks so much for your reply. Actually I am gun-shy at this point and if I could restore my Internet connections again I personally would not try a cleaner again... I'm happy that Clean Master worked well for you, though.

Melody1, I think the cleaner I used clobbered some of my TCP IP files/protocols because my connections/handshaking are so unstable. Odd that it works sometimes but most times not?

Now my plan is to order another MXQ and start fresh. Please tell me, can you recommend a MX ANDROID Backup that will 100% capture/clone *everything* to USB ~ except the MAC addresses? That would be great so I can try a fresh start on MXQ-1...

One final point: I note that the 'toothpick-reset' does not appear to reset everything? In example, my screen adjustment to 95% remains at 95% and not 100% as it was new? It's a mystery.

Dang, SO much for this grasshopper to learn. Thank you again, Melody1 for your reply and time.

SOGLAD

Melody1 likes this.
  8. paulie57

paulie57 Regular member

Sogland if buying mxq ,checkout the mx111 has 2gb ram as compared to 1 in mxq , I have both boxes and found the mx111 to have a bit more grunt ........

Melody1 likes this.
  9. SOGLAD

SOGLAD Newbie

Wow! Thanks for your prompt input, paulie57!

I will check the MX111 out right after this reply to you... Actually the MXQ is so reasonable (read cheap) I may as well order one of those too so (hopefully) I'll be able to clone/restore my MXQ(1)? I can always give one away or keep one as a spare.

paulie57, it's also amazing how quickly the market and supporting technology (read Apps and software) is changing! Awesome too how folks like XBMC and ANDROID have so many dedicated worker-ants ! I must add that this MXQ is keeping me off of the 'streets' too... heck I am forgetting to eat now and then...

I remain,
    SOGLAD

10. paulie57

paulie57 Regular member

Soglad yep kodi constantly updating as are addons but the old reliable addons, repos still working great lol ...

Melody1 likes this.
  11. SOGLAD

SOGLAD Newbie

Hummm.... Paulie57, I've found decent prices on the MXIII and I will order the MXIII instead of the MXQ ~ thank you! I wonder why they (MX) is sticking with ANDROID 4.4 and didn't make the move to 5.1?

Also I hope to clone the new MXIII to my old MXQ(1) and I hope there won't be any issues with the firmware and the different model settings? Maybe the MXIII is just a DDR3 upgrade?

Thank you too paulie57 for mentioning Internet speed. I am blessed to have blazing fast Internet at almost 100Mbps on other devices (PC etc), but the MXQ only does 15.6Mbps with WiFi and about the same with CAT5 ~ which should be fast enough. My REAL problem is connecting to my home server dependably.

Film at 11:00
    SOGLAD

12. paulie57

paulie57 Regular member

Soglad it best toconnect via hardwire if possible , does suit the boxes better , as for firmware 4.4 kit kat still working fine , most don't update firmware until the new one becomes stable as in past the beta stage , lollipop now very stable and working well , so it's a case which version of firmware you're happy with lol......

Melody1 likes this.
  13. SOGLAD

SOGLAD Newbie

Got it! Thanks again paulie57. Google hunts are often very confusing and many hints/tasks don't apply to the MXQ. Hey for under $30 bux I'm getting a great flogging and having lots of fun too.

I greatly appreciate your help and time paulie57 and Melody1
    I remain,

SOGLAD

and I'll keep reading

Melody1 likes this.
  14. Melody1

Melody1 Member

I deleted 5/6 add-ons from Kodi but the Storage remained the same even after i had exited and switched off and then went in again the next day.

Shouldn't the available storage be greater after deleting?!!

15. piopat

piopat Active member

enrabtap you say your box is telling you that you have only 390 mb free , usually these boxes have 4 gb / 8gb or 16gb memory capacity . it is possible to use up a lot of memory capacity very quickly . i had a friend who installed everything he could , and saved everything he liked from many apps in his favourites . when that happens and the memory capacity of the box is nearing being full the box in essence stops you doing anything or installing anything that will fill the box completely . what i mean is that a certain amount of memory is reguired in order for the box firmare and for it to boot up and run . lets say for example you have 350mb free , and lets say the box firmware is 200mb , and lets you are trying to install kodi which is 150mb , well if the box let you install kodi it would compromise the box ability to run at all .

if the box can boot up and run to some degree you can work on it and clear space , if its filled to capacity and inoperable you will have a problem . so i can only assume that the box makers ensure that atleast 350mb remains free at all times and blocks you using any memory beyond that .

something has seriously consumed your box memory . now if you go to settings , and then go to apps if you individually check all android apps installed you will see that each has a data cache and a regular cache . if both caches only amount to a small amount of mbs then that app isnt using a lot of memory . but check all apps and see what size both caches are .

now you can clear the regular cache of any app at any time with no real affect to the app . however if you clear that data cache of an app that means that you are erasing any saved data . the app itself will be unaffected but all saved data in it saved by you will be gone . for example if you cleared the data cache of the kodi app what would happen is kodi would remain and it would be in its condition when first installed , but it would have no addons in it , you would have to reinstall addons .

now if you found that kodi had consumed several gb of memory then clearing the data cache would be a simple solution to freeing up memory , kodi can take up 2 / 3 or 4 gb easily and quickly if allowed . if that were the case here you would be freeing up a lot of memory , however as i said you would then have to re install your favourite addons .

if all apps show a minimal of memory usage in both caches then the memory is being used up elsewhere . go back one step from apps and go to STORAGE , it should show you total space and the available space . down along that list of options will be an option called MISC , thats short for miscellaneous . this option can be known to consume a very large amount of memory , if yours in the several gb region then you probably have the problem .

if MISC is severally full i can only suggest a factory reset . where you were where you chose apps and then storage look down the list of options and you will see a reset option , that will set your box back to factory settings . basically all you should need to do after that is re install kodi and then install your favourite addons . also suggest that you never download any files direct to the box if possible , download files to a usb stick and insert the stick into the box and install that way . but one app i would suggest installing is clean master , use that once a week or very two weeks and that will clear any unneeded files from your box .

Melody1 likes this.
  16. piopat

piopat Active member

kodi keeps a sort of copy of addons in the background . just as an example to prove this . in kodi if you go to system , and then down to file manager , then you will see options , select PROFILE DIRECTORY , then select ADDON DATA . you will or should see a list of addons in there , likely addons that you have uninstalled . i dont know the reason why kodi does this , i assume their is a valid reason but it does unknown to people take up space . if these are full copies f all addons then in essence you have the same addons using twice the memory space .

what you can do is go down the list of addons and if you see one that YOU HAVE UNINSTALLED go to it and highlight it then press menu button (or what ever button you press to bring up the context menu ) and then options will appear including delete , you can then select delete . obviously only do this for addons that you have already uninstalled , if you do this for addons that are currently installed those addons will of course be uninstalled and then you will have to re install them .

this method of removal of an addon can have its uses in other ways . for example youtube addon wasnt working . and i needed to install a working version , because several of my addons used youtube the box would not allow me to uninstall youtube by the regular method . also it seems that i couldnt install the new working version properly while the old was still there . so by going in and deleting youtube via the method above i was then able to get rid of the non working version and then successfully installed the new working version .

obviously im only talking about plugins in the addon data folder , dont delete anything in any other folder .

Melody1 likes this.