1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Free Window's Security Software! :- ) *UPDATED*

Discussion in 'Windows - Virus and spyware problems' started by rav009, Jan 22, 2006.

1. sanecrazy

sanecrazy Regular member

Hi rav009

First of all great work on the guide youve put alot of work in and I found it very useful.

Anyway ive just bought a laptop with Vista on it im trying to install Zonealarm but its not liking it. Is it compatible with vista?

If not which is the best one to use?

cheers

Ok update -- I tried to install Comodo and a popup came up saying that it wasnt compatible. When i clicked ok a box came up saying windows compatibility and asked if i wanted to try again using default settings. When i clicked yes it installed it fully but then a box came up again saying there a compatability issues and i might not be getting full protection i should uninstall comodo and use windows firewall.

Just rebooted my Laptop and it says in the summery section all the securaty monitors are set to off and they wont turn on.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2007
  2. janrocks

janrocks Guest

Vista currently doesn't have adequate anti-virus or firewall solutions.. They are more bothered what YOU do with your computer than what others can do to you..

Virus definitions list, info and cleaning methods. http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/virusinfo/

Remember..the best anti-virus is no internet explorer and no windows.

* NOTE TO MODERATORS... this is supposed to be a resources thread, not a free for all help me thread.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 5, 2007
  3. staxx

staxx Regular member

Well, I've had those programs in your list on my computer for a while now. Just recently I've gotten some sort of virus/spyware on my computer...Has a little bubble that pops up in the bottom right corner telling me to click on it to download some spywarelocked program (which i'm pretty sure is spyware itself) Anyways, my father ended up clicking on it and downloading it thinking it would stop the bubble from popping up. Now when i use avg, and spybot to search for infections, no threats show up. However, i downloaded a program called spyware doctor and did a scan with that. It showed i had approximately 56 infections. (desktop hijacker, trojan, worm, and a few others) So my question is...is there anything free out there i could use to fix these infections since the freeware listed here that i have tried doesnt seem to pull any results (spyware doctor only lets me scan, doesnt let me fix since its not registered)

Thanks for any help.

4. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

staxx, run Trend Micro "Housecalls" from here

http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

then run "Smithfraudfix"

also run "Spysweeper" in safe mode
    then post a HJT log file

5. staxx

staxx Regular member

My father ended up going out and purchasing spyware doctor today, so the problems are gone now.(except 2 which is only adware and cookie tracker) But I'm going to do what you suggested when i get in from work tomorrow.

6. jimmy88

jimmy88 Member

hello guys!!

i hv Mcafee's whole package...dont knw exactly wat all is in there...
    probably antivirus, spamkiller, site advisor, personal firewall and some more...
    and i hv spybot s&d, spyware blaster, ccleaner, google toolbar and windows defender....

u think this is enuf or should i install zone labs firewall ???

7. Jam35

Jam35 Member

dude there's no such thing as to much protection

each one of those programes defends a whole variaty of stuff but some don't protect some things that others do

8. jimmy88

jimmy88 Member

yea i knw tht bond...
    but i just wanted to make sure coz spyware blaster and spybot s&d dont run in taskbar...

9. drunkeyez

drunkeyez Member

I got some kind of virus in my notebook. Whenever i double click any drive partition it opens 'open with' window and then i can open it by selecting windows explorer n by doing right click it shows unknown characters instead of open, explorer.
    I tried norton2006 antivirus but it didnt help.
    Even i re-installed windows but still its doing this on all other drives except C:
    can any1 plz help me out....

10. navskin

navskin Regular member

i would download nod32 the trail version and scan your computer for the virus and it will find it and kill it as soon as it got it. it will also remove any spyware in your computer. i sware by it. what ever you do dont install norton ever again it can take over your computer. i think it safe to says that.

11. Sickley

Sickley Regular member

nice compile. you guys should check out merjin's site http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/
    it contains a lot of freeware anitmalware. he is also the original creator of CWShredder and Hijackthis(he sold both to trendmicro). be aware that most tools on his site are for the more advanced pc users

also two tools you should get are
    unlocker http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/System-Miscellaneous/Unlocker.shtml delete files that won't let you delete them!
    startup(cpl) http://www.mlin.net/ a better application startup list program, will list more than anything else
    these also are geared more towards the advanced pc users

also the best (imo) PAY for antivirus/security suite is kaspersky http://www.kaspersky.com/. it has updates almost every hour.

12. ChrisC586

ChrisC586 Regular member

13. crazyman1

crazyman1 Member

I'm in need of a Firewall that will run/work with win98.
    I have searched and cant seam to find one. Does anybody know of one or have one? If so PLEASE point me to it or post a link to where i can download it from.
    Thanks in advance.

14. borhan9

borhan9 Active member

The only firewall that comes to mind is Zone Alarm. You can try that.

15. drunkeyez

drunkeyez Member

Chris thnx for ur help but this HijackThis just check c: drive and my c: drive is working fine it is D: drive which i cant open. Let me tell you again, when i double click on D: drive it opens OPEN WITH window. And if i do right click on it, it shows me different language characters instead of OPEN and EXPLORE.... further more it dont let me copy data across D: drive...
    Can any1 plz help me to fix it...

16. Krazymale

Krazymale Regular member

Last edited: Jul 15, 2007
  17. miketran

miketran Guest

Are those free to download but must be paid to get them updated? My AVG says the trial version will be expired in 30 days. Anyway, its not fair longing for some useful software that is totally free, and AVG kills 43 out of my computer, nice.

18. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

AVG has a free version

19. legend999

legend999 Regular member

And the free version is good as hell. =)

20. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

yes the free version is very good and highly recommend . its a hell of alot better than programs like Norton that you pay for but what isn't lol