1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Free XBOX .. My First, But ...

Discussion in 'Xbox - General discussion' started by tinga81, Nov 30, 2004.

1. tinga81

tinga81 Member

Sorry to have the subject mislead you, but I did obtain a free XBOX from a friend of mine. But, there was a catch to it. Apparently it is broken. My friend had tried many different methods to get it to work, but was unsuccessful in his attempts. He mentioned that he was having problems with the CD drive, at least I had some idea as to what the problem is. I told him that I'd take a look at it, and if I get it fixed, I get to keep it. Pretty sweet deal, eh?

I have only dealt with PS2 in the past, and don't even know where to start with the XBOX.

So, I plugged the XBOX in, and everything booted up fine. I am also able to play an audio cd with no problems at all (which would rule out cd reading errors, no?). I then tried to put a game in the cd tray, and that's when I noticed the problems. The error message says: "Your XBOX can't recognize this disc. Make sure it's an XBOX game, DVD movie, or Audio CD. Also check to see if the disc is dirty or damaged. Remove the disc to continue." So, that's where I'm stuck now.

I don't want to replace the cd drive, unless it's absolutely necessary.

Any thoughts, suggestions, ideas on the subject material would be appreciated.

Thanks a lot!

2. neo7333

neo7333 Guest

I had the same problem. I couldnt get it to work either so i said to hell with it and bought a new one.that xbox, i got when it first came out so i got a clue thats the problem.. maybe some error in the xboxes when the first sold them or whatever,

3. tinga81

tinga81 Member

I figured that I'd end up buying a new DVD drive for it. It's cheaper than buying a new XBOX anyway. Can you, or anyone else recommend a DVD drive to buy, and how much I would/should end up paying for it.

Thanks!

4. Achilles3

Achilles3 Guest

It's best if you can get a Samsung drive on Ebay.

5. Cappy

Cappy Member

If it's a 1st gen X-box, try calling Microsoft. I think they are obligated to fix the 1st run x-boxes due to a class action lawsuit that they recently settled on. All you need to do is read them the serial # and give them your name, address & phone if your x-box qualifies.

you could also try this site for help if you already opned the box up and voided the warranty.

http://www.llamma.com/xbox/Repairs/xbox_dvd_repair.htm

6. tinga81

tinga81 Member

Before I call Microsoft and look like a fool, how do I figure out if it's a 1st Generation XBOX?

7. Cappy

Cappy Member

Flip the box upsidedown and check to see if the manufacture date is the year 2001