1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Freesat receiver recommendations

Discussion in 'Digital TV - UK & Europe' started by mick087, Apr 2, 2012.

1. mick087

mick087 Regular member

Im having troble in finding a freesat receiver that does the following

8-Day EPG
    Full BBC Text and Interactive RED Button Service
    Automatic Update and Auto-Tune for the UK FREESAT channels
    Also pvr ready so i can record direct to the hard drive in the receiver

I live in Ireland and i am wondering does such a box exsist and does all of the above.
    I know i can get PVR boxes but wish to know can any do all of what i am seeking.

2. MICKAH

MICKAH Active member

did you google the above? I did the first one that came answers your questions on freesat.ie, lastly why would you look at freesat, have a look at the Sat and DTT combo boxs, such as ferguson ariva 120, they are HD, recordable and also you get the Irish chans on them free, such as Rte, Tv3 etc etc, way better than freesat

3. fintannl

fintannl Regular member

mickah, is there really a freessat box that offers more than now and next epg? as i understand it sky supplies 7 day epg via an encrypted system. sharing boxes use an internet solution to get same 7 day epg. as i understand all other boxes are limited to now and next epg?

4. cactikid

cactikid Active member

for example if you bought say a vu+duo box you could use that as a freesat box without a sub and you could record onto an internal hard drive as this box has 2 tuners and 7 day epg.now if you wanted to go further you could get a sub and open up those channels without having to buy another box.

on the combo boxes you will get 7 day epg on the dtt side but only now and next on the sat side which sucks if you want to set timed recordings,maybe this may change.

5. MICKAH

MICKAH Active member

Hi Fint,

According to the blurb here, they do a 8 day! EPG on Freesat box

http://www.freesat.ie/index.php?cat=What_is_Freesat_

But no terrestrial chans like RTE/TV3/E3/ etc, depends if the 8 day guide is a selling point over your terrestrial chans, the combo boxs are now and next on Sat, but 7 day on DTT as Cacti says above, I just think with the combo u can open up a lot more than a standard freesat box

6. fintannl

fintannl Regular member

ok i'm a twit. i use crossepg which is a 7 day download of program guide via sat dish. it works off hip hop radio station on 28.2 and downloads radiotimes program guide for most any channel for 7 days. so of course it is possible since i already have it :). must be getting confused in my later years :)

7. MICKAH

MICKAH Active member

Happens to the best of us mate, its when yer slippers start getting warm on their own is when ya worry! Ha ha ha