1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Freeware DVD Shrink 2.0 released

Discussion in 'DVD2One forum' started by Shoey, Jun 6, 2003.

1. Shoey

Shoey Guest

[bold]No changelog [/bold] Yet...
    --------------------------------------------
    What is DVD Shrink :
    DVD Shrink is software to backup DVD disks. You can use this software in conjunction with DVD burning software of your choice, to make a backup copy of any DVD video disk.

DVD Shrink does not burn DVDs! The output from DVD Shrink is saved as files on your hard drive, which you can then burn to a DVD-R using separate burning software, such as the software provided with your DVD-R drive.
    Why Use DVD Shrink :
    Most DVD titles are designed to prevent you from making copies.

The first preventative measure is encryption. Most DVD titles are encrypted, which prevents you from either copying them to your hard drive, or if you manage to do so, being able to play the resulting files. DVD Shrink overcomes this problem with built-in decryption algorithms.

The next problem is not so easy. Most DVD video titles are simply too large to fit, without modification, onto a single recordable DVD-R disk. DVD Shrink overcomes this problem by modifying or "shrinking" the data from your original DVD.

DVD Shrink provides two ways of shrinking your DVD disk. These are re-authoring and re-encoding. You can use one, or the other, or for maximum "shrinkage", both combined.

Last but not least, why use DVD Shrink? Because DVD Shrink is free!

DVD Shrink 2.0: http://www.dvdr-digest.com/software/software.php?file=dvdshrink

DVD Shrink 2.0 official website:http://www.dvdshrink.org/

DVD Shrink guide (v1.03):http://www.dvdr-digest.com/articles/articles.php?article_id=23

Shoey :)

2. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

3. Shoey

Shoey Guest

dRD,
    The guide (link) I provided is one that "most" people use. Additional tools like DVD Image do come in quite handy along with IFO Edit. Maybe reconsider renaming this forum DVD2One\DVD Shrink or just add an additional forum for DVD Shrink?

4. dRD

Been considering renaming this as "Compressed domain transcoding forum" -- not that anyone would have a slightest idea what that means, but it means basically tools such as DVD2One, DVD Shrink, XPRESS, Pinnacle, DVD2DVD-R and DVD Copy.

5. Shoey

Shoey Guest

I honestly believe that would throw a "curveball" to nOOBs, lol. Maybe rename this form to DVD2DVD-R(W)Encryption and underneath post Software related to DVD2One, DVD Shrink and any other DVD2DVD-R(W) encryption tools(DVD Image, IFO Edit)? Just a suggesstion boss.

Shoey

6. dRD

"One-click DVD to DVD-R tools" like d9 has?-)

7. Shoey

Shoey Guest

Sounds good to me boss!

8. ryan2107

ryan2107 Member

im a noob to this stuff but does DVD Shrink work with a DVD + RW drive and DVD+R discs?

9. dRD

The content of the DVD is identical on "minus" and "plus" discs, so the format doesn't matter at all. More of an issue whether your DVD player supports + discs or not.

And Shrink doesn't come with a burning tool, you need to use separate program, such as Nero, to do the burning anyway.

10. ryan2107

ryan2107 Member

ah very good.
    as you can see im very new to this. thanks again!