1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Freezing during playback of VCD version of Gangs.Of.New.york(cd2)dvdscreener-Ninja.avi

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by Maverick®, May 6, 2003.

1. Maverick®

Maverick® Member

Does anyone know of a problem with the "Gangs.Of.New.york(cd2)dvdscreener-Ninja.avi" file widely available on the Net? It's Xvid Video with MPeg layer 3 Audio.

I've followed the Afterdawn Guides for conversion to VCD. The CD1 file converts OK but the CD2 file has a funny problem after conversion, ie. the resultant MPG file freezes about half way through playing - the sound keeps playing but the picture freezes.

Has anyone experienced this problem with this file? Does anyone know a way around it?

The overall object is to play this movie on a stand alone DVD player.

Thanks

2. goodswipe

goodswipe Guest

try splitting the file up into two parts with DVtool. I use to have audio sync problems and what not when I used TMPGEnc to split the files into two,but when I used DVtool it fixed the problem so maybe it would fix your problem. Im not sure though

3. Dela

Dela Administrator Staff Member

This is most likely a video stream error. Look for avifixed and repair the second avi file. I recommend making a backup copy before you let avifixed do anything though!! Then try and encode!

4. Maverick®

Maverick® Member

Thanks for your replies.

Goodswipe, I'll try splitting the file with DVTool, ie. from where the problem occurs ... but other posts from people who have experienced similar problems with "Lord of the Rings" suggest that this might lead to audio sync problems.

Dela, I ran avifixed and the program said it fixed a few problems but the resultant file was quite blotchy and the audio was out of sync. Also, the audio isn't audible until about 20 seconds after pressing play. For some reason the "fix" isn't working on this file.

Thanks for your suggestions anyway.

Has anyone managed to succesfully convert this file to a working VCD or SVCD?

Thanks

5. goodswipe

goodswipe Guest

i never have any adio sync problems when I use DVtool. Is it just me or did the text change on the website??

6. Maverick®

Maverick® Member

From what I can gather, there might be some some sort of protection which is causing bad frames during recoding. It plays fine as an avi - the problem only occurs when playing back the converted mpg file.

Has anyone successfully converted these Xvid files ("Gangs.Of.New.york(cd1&2)dvdscreener-Ninja.avi")to S/VCD?

Thanks

Last edited: May 10, 2003
  7. Dela

u try dvd2svcd with cce sp??

8. Maverick®

Maverick® Member

Absolutely. When using dvd2svcd with cce sp, the encoding process would not complete due to errors. When I tried dvd2svcd with TMPG, the process completed but the resultant Mpg had the same problem, ie. video freezes during playback but the sound keeps playing.

I think I may have a solution along similar lines to your solution for "The Ring" - I'll post later today if it works.

Cheers

9. Dela

What were the errors you got cause i'm pretty good with DVD2SVCD!