1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Frequency to Shutdown the PC

Discussion in 'Audio' started by tzade, Jan 4, 2005.

1. tzade

tzade Member

Hi,

Since one week I have not shutdown my pc. Now its speed is slowed down. I want to know whether shutdown of PC will work and how frequently i should shut down my pc. Is the locking system everytime is a good practice.?

2. queeg

queeg Member

I am asuming here you are using Windows as an operating system. I have had the same problem in the past using windows XP on my PC. I think the problem is caused by windows s**t memory manager but dont quote me on that. Install cacheman (Freeware) and your PC should run better for longer. I regualary leave my PC running for periods of 2-3 weeks before rebooting with out any major speed or running problems. The other alternative is to bin windows and install linux I have Mandrake Linux running on my old Compaq Prosignia Server. To date it has been up for over 6 months with no problems and without the need to reboot.

The practice of shutting down your PC regulary is another thing a lot of people will argue about. Some say its better to shut it down other say its not. You have to decide for yourself.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2005
  3. djscoop

djscoop Active member

you will probably get more help and more responses if you post this in the correct forum. Try PC Hardware.