1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fried Hard Drive

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by JoeSoGood, Aug 13, 2007.

1. JoeSoGood

JoeSoGood Member

My computer started up and then shut right back off and i noticed an electrical fire/ burn smell and then checked all my parts and realized my hard drive fried. Now I am wondering what could of caused this? Also is there people out there that can get files off a fried hard drive? Thanks

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Out of interest, what make is the hard drive?

The only way you can usually get files off a damaged hard drive is by using a data recovery service, and that costs several hundred dollars/pounds/euros, whatever.

If you can live without the data, replace the drive. If you can't, have it recovered.

3. JoeSoGood

JoeSoGood Member

It's a maxtor.

4. JoeSoGood

JoeSoGood Member

Well I think I figured out a solution to my problem. I didn't know that the front circuit board comes off like nothing and so i am going to buy the same exact harddrive and replace the fried board with the new one and see if it works. I don't see why it wouldn't, you know.

5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

It's worth a try.

Is it maybe 1 1/2 to 3 years old?
    maxtors had a big problem with that, some drives just randomly catch fire after a certain amount of time...

6. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

just for future reference, it's always a good idea to have your data backed up on a separate drive. seagates are inexpensive and have a 5 year warranty--great for backup drives.