1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

From lower to higher bitrate (MP3)

Discussion in 'Audio' started by ReLTeL, Dec 31, 2002.

1. ReLTeL

ReLTeL Guest

Hello,

I've downloaded some mp3's which i would like to use for a mp3 cd. The bitrate of the mp3's differ but i would like to use one bitrate for those mp3's. The question is: Does it make sense to upgrade the bitrate (for example from 128 to 256) e.g. does the quality of the mp3 realy improve? Because i've read to following on the internet:

"Upgrading an MP3 to a higher bitrate is impossible. The only solution is to re-encode from the original source."

Thanks for your thoughts!

Grtz,
    ReLTeL

2. Pio2001

Pio2001 Moderator Staff Member

No, encoding an MP3 is like recording an audio source (the Wav file, or the CD). Using a higher bitrate is therefore like making a copy of your previous MP3. At best, it could be as bad, but some quality is eventually lost again. So it will sound inferior.

3. ReLTeL

ReLTeL Guest

Thanks for the explanation!

4. skylinedo

skylinedo Member

I'm redoing all of my music CD's to CD's of reputable manufacturers (ritek, etc).

Personally, I download my mp3's and convert them to .wma format 192kbps then back to .mp3 @ 320 kbps. This really brings out the quality of the songs. Louder without distortion, clearer, crisp audio, all that good stuff you expect from an official CD.

5. ReLTeL

ReLTeL Guest

Thanks for the tip. What's the best program to use for this proces?

6. cd-rw.org

cd-rw.org Active member

skylinedo,

What the fusk is that bullshit? Are you trying to distract people by purpose? I should deactivate your account for a post that stupid.

Never transcode you lossy compressed (wma, mp3, ogg, etc.) files format to another. Each compression cycle decreases the quality significantly.

7. GodFinger

GodFinger Regular member

Aaaaaaaa......
    Transcoding sucks...

8. rastad

rastad Member

Haha...I can't believe that. That's gotta be the funniest thing I heard all week. Hey, maybe Skylindeo doesn't know. Then again, maybe he does...haha