1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

front speakers with two sets of connections?

Discussion in 'Receivers and amplifiers' started by Damon1, Mar 8, 2004.

1. Damon1

Damon1 Regular member

ive got some front speakers that have two sets of speaker cable connections on them. and I've always wondered what the second ones are exactly for. Are they for running a sub off them if your doesn't have a sub out? or are they for a some front effect speakers?

my speakers have three four inch mids, a eight inch driver in ported box and a tweeter.

even if your not sure, just tell me your opinion.

2. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

I am not sure, but my guess would be for different types of connections. I have a speaker with bannana plugs and the clip things, and both power just the speaker. Are your plugs diferent or the same? Does the sound change depending on which you connect to? They could also be setup for high or low response or might have different ristance on them form 8 or 4ohms. lots of possibilies.

3. Damon1

Damon1 Regular member

no connectios are both the same, they are the type that look like a piece of bolt with a hole through it. You put the cable through the hole and wrap cable around then screw the bolt on.

Sound is exactly the same on either connection,
    I thought too that it could be for different sound reponse at first, especially with the speakers having a ported passive sub in them, but no it sounds the same.
    As for different resistance it could very well be the answer, but label on back of speaker just says impedence is 6 ohms, nothing else so im not sure. thanks for replying

4. Mattrage

Mattrage Regular member

Two sets of connections = biampable

Meaning you can use two amps on the speaker. A biampable speaker will by default usually have a piece of metal that connects the two sets of connections so the feature is negated. Biamping a speaker allows you to use an external crossover and one amp for the midrange/tweeter speakers and another for the woofers, resulting in a cleaner sound.

5. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

Do you mean have one pair from the amp, going to one of the pairs on the speaker and using a wire to connect the pairs? I guess you could also use them as multi amp, Connect two different amps to each set. Damon1, is there a bridge between the ports now (ie a metal piece connecting them)?

6. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Bi-Wiring i think is the more common term. If there are two sets of speaker connectors (2 +/2 -), then you should use 4 stranded cable. The amplifier can still put out one channel, but when the speakers receive them, they split the sound and direct it to certain driveers. This is only found in speakers with two drivers or more.

If you are using normal 2 strands of cable, make sure that there is a metal connection (gold/silver/steel) between the two sets of + and the two sets of - as this will enable the sound to be split. However, if you get yourself some 4 strands of cable (which is better), make sure to remove any metal connection from between the top and bottom (if thats the way it set up) sets of connectors as it may damage your amplifier.

I dont really see the point of using a seperate amplifier to drive a seperate speaker within the same housing. This is only really used when you are driving heavy bass and mid/high range, inside the same unit and only really used by more professionals. Most decent home stereo/ multi-channel amplifiers will drive both in bi-wire.

Hope this helps
    Chris
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]For your DVD needs http://www.dvd-and-media.com
    http://www.dvd-backup.tk
    For User Guides/Downloads: http://www.chrismccann.co.uk/user_guides.htm
    [​IMG][/small]

Last edited: Mar 9, 2004
  7. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

Thats what I thought originally Oriphus. But you should notice a difference between the two ports with only single input. Of course unless there is already a bridge there.
    I do like the idea of multi amps to one speaker, I do have a couple as with all the other junk I collect.

8. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

The idea of them is good, the practicality is not. For any home user, there is really no need to use two amps if the RMS output is 100watts + per channel. It only really apllies to those in larger venues. At the end of the day, you can only drive what the speakers maximum output is anyway.

Lol - i have aout 7 DVD players at the min, need to satart clearing out my crap...

9. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

I didn't mean for it to make sense acturally. I wouldn't mind mixing one amp with radio like CBS and the other with Cd's or other type of music. So that you would be listening to multiple audio sources all at once. I used to be able to due that with a GE book shelf unit I had. I listen to TV and a Cd through the same speakers all at once. Yes I am crazy.

10. Damon1

Damon1 Regular member

thanks for all help, guys.

Now I know exactly what the two connections are for. Yes they do have a bridge between the two sets of connections, that's why at first I was thinking they couldn't be for powering just the sub or just mids/tweeter because it sounded the same on either connection. Now I know it's because the bridge was still in place!! D'oh!!

I might try using some 4 stranded cable and if what it does, if I can find some (thanks Oriphus).

Anyway, thanks again.

and join the aD IRC channel, it's been a bit liveler lately.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2004
  11. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Glad your sorted Damon. I recommend Gale speaker cable if you are getting some. You could get cambridge audio, but its very expensive. Remember to take out the connections between both if you use 4 strand speaker cable.
    Thanks
    Chris

12. Damon1

Damon1 Regular member

Bi wired the front speakers, and I seem to have a little bit more bass in the front now.

It was a pain in the neck getting two wires in each connection though.

and matt was also correct about the term used.

bi ampable: running from two amps.

bi wiring: splitting the signal from one amp.

Thanks again.

13. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Yeah, glad you are sorted.

The term Bi-ampable is correct as Mattrage described, however, the main use of those connections on the speakers is not for anyone to bi-amp them, but generally it is used as you have done with bi-wiring (though both of course work).

14. jeff-o

jeff-o Member

I think the purpose of bi-amping is so that you can have separate equalizer settings for the high and midranges. Chances are someone who's planning on using more than one amp will also use a separate equalizer, so having separate terminals for mids and highs on a centre (and all other speakers) is a desirable thing.

I have my centre channel bi-wired, since it sounded like it would improve things, and I had some extra speaker cable. ;-)

15. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

I've seen a few B&W speakers being Bi-amped, but they were speakers capable of receiving 250 watts. My assumption, and it was only that, was that by bi-amping it would allow you to generate a greater output to power the speakers (ie: louder, etc), but it would make sense to be able to control seperate settings for the different ranges.

I cant see me needing it with my set-up. Theoretically, the gold plated connectors on a speaker that is capable of bi-wiring does virtually the same, if not the same, job as bi-wiring, but if you have the extra speaker cables ;-)

16. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

Jeff-O, that makes a lot of sense. I would like to control the equalizer range on a speaker. That could allow Bass a hollics to kick it up.

But for the Movie point could cut down some of the background waveranges and help boost the center vocals. Good way to clean up the indi film secene.

17. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Isnt that what the LFE (subwoofer) is for?

18. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

Sure thats one reason for a subwoofer. but if you would like some extra power, drop the high end on your speaker and increase the low frequencies. Thus ever one would sound like Berry White.

19. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

lol - Barry White ;-)

I prefer to put little Bass through my main speakers, and instead route everything less than 100Hz through the Subwoofer. I could adjust it to 80Hz, but i feel that i get a far cleaner sound, even though my speakers will pick up at 35Hz.

20. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

Very good point. A lot of audio muffle is in the low range. I like a little bass but not too much. But I supose the oposite is also possible, like Niravna recoomendend setings (-5 bass, +5 Trebble) Only good song of theirs that actually is good that way is Negative creep off Bleach.