1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FRUSTRATED.. Help a newby...

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by ghedd, Jan 22, 2005.

1. ghedd

ghedd Guest

Hi all...
    Thanks goodness I've found this forum. I'm just getting so frustrated. I think I've downloaded and purchase more programs in the last two days (kodec, divx, alcohol 120,nero , etc) LOL!
    Seems everything I download is in a diff. format and my head is spinning. I recently downloaded something and it's in Nero Showtime File (1.048 Gb each, 4 files), a couple BUP files and a PLS file. Can anyone point me in the right direction on how to burn this using Nero????

Much appreciated

Gerald

2. bazilla

bazilla Regular member

What's the extension of the "Nero Showtime" files?

I'm going out on a limb, and guessing VOB.

BUP are backup versions of IFO files. PLS is an odd one, the most likely being a Napster playlist file. What that is doing with video files is beyond me, though.

Can you double click on the "Nero Showtime" files and view them? If so, and they are VOB files, but you don't have the complete VIDEO_TS folder for a dvd, you are going to have to create one using NeroVision Express. Before we get into that, though, let's find out just what we are dealing with.

Give us more info on the file extension of the "Nero Showtime" files.

Edit: I'm a newbie to this forum too, so until I'm better accepted by the long term members here, it is not really my place to say so (but I'm going to say so anyway, right?) but I've got a pet peeve about subject headers that just cry "Help" and are not really descriptive about what kind of help is being requested. They are pretty particular about the forum rules around here, and there is probably a rule about this somewhere. I hope, though, that you get the help you need.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2005
  3. ghedd

ghedd Guest

Bazz..,

THanks for the help so far.. Yes, they are..or "were" VOB files (until I installed NERO). Once Nero was installed it renamed them "Nero Showtime Files". I can click on them and I can view them in Nero.

The files (in a Video_TS folder)are VTS_01_X (x being a small 0 file, another larger 0 file, then 1,2,3,4 and smaller 5 file. THen a couple Video_TS files.

THe larger files are the movie and the smaller are the menus,obviously etc.

Thanks
    Gerald

4. bardie

bardie Regular member

Good point bazilla.......the more info given and a more descriptive header can make offering advice a lot easier.

5. hardcandy

hardcandy Guest

First thing is to slow down and look through some of the guides on this site and get a feel for different file formats. Also, look at different codecs and see which are free and which require proprietary software to view.
    A little time now reading this stuff will save you a whole lot of time and money later. Why download something you can not play?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2005
  6. bazilla

bazilla Regular member

Okay, we're getting somewhere. What you have here is a dvd in "file format" on your hard drive.

First, though, a tip. It sounds like you may not have your Windows Explorer view options set to view file extensions. If not, from a folder window click on Tools--> Folder Options--> View and "uncheck" the "Hide Extensions for Known File Types" and you should see that these are .VOB files.

Everything in a VIDEO_TS folder consitutes a "dvd movie." All you need to do is burn that to a dvd. Since you have Nero, put a blank writable dvd in your burner, and do the following:

1. Click on the Nero "Smartstart" icon.
    2. Make sure DVD is selected, and not CD.
    3. Move your mouse over the Smartstart icon until you see "Copy and Backup".
    4. Click on "Copy Entire DVD Video". This opens Nero Recode 2.
    5. Click on "Import DVD"
    6. Browse to your VIDEO_TS folder and open it. Nero will analyse the folder.
    7. Click Next, and make sure the "Destination" is your dvd burner. Uncheck "Burn at once." Click on "Burn."

Maybe somebody else can suggest an easier way to burn a VIDEO_TS folder with Nero? (I'm a newbie too.)

7. ghedd

ghedd Guest

candy, I want to download it and I CANview it on my computer, but I'd rather burn it and watch it on my 67" Big Scree. ;)

Zilla, Thanks for the help. When your frustrated it's hard even to do simple math ;)

Thanks, I'll try what you posted..

8. wuzzles

wuzzles Guest

the PLS file is used with DVD Decrypter for movies that are hard to rip ... its PLS - Protected Layer something ... LOL ... its used to get past some dvd protection ....

9. ghedd

ghedd Guest

I'd like to thank everyone for helping me. Though it seems simple when you've got experience, trust me, it's not when your new to it and there are more file types than fleas on a cat..

Thanks..

Gerald

10. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Newest version of Decrypter doesn't need a PLS patch anymore. Its been updated already.

Jerry