1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FSTFIX.exe ...... not fixed

Discussion in 'Nintendo Gamecube - General discussion' started by gcunit, Apr 27, 2007.

1. gcunit

gcunit Member

I've just made my 1st ever attempt to burn a gcm iso.

I was using superbomberman which I had in a .rar file. I un-rared it and it gave a file size of 1.35gb. I then ran it through fstfix.exe (using option f) and the new file size was 1.18gb

I thought it was meant to be around 1.4gb?

Also, at the end of the fstfix process there was a list in the command prompt of nearly 100 files that it said were "not fixed".

Does this mean errors occurred - or is this common when fstfixing.

Anyway, I burnt it to a dvd +r which in itself is not best practice, I know, and it didn't boot.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

2. luckgh0st

luckgh0st Guest

Hi, if your image size is 1.35 GB, I don't think you need to fix it. right click on the image and go to properties. It should be 1,459,978,240 bytes. Every GC game I've ever burnt was the same.I use IMGburn and make sure that in the settings tab, that .GCM is checked...lets see.. I am using full sized DVDs HP DVD-R What chip are you using?
    Xeno here
    best regards

3. gcunit

gcunit Member

I'm not using a chip. I've gone down the Action Replay and SD Gecko route.

I haven't got IMGburn yet - I'll check it out.

But do you have any idea about the fstfix report - it had a long list of things it said it hadn't fixed. Is this normal?

4. Quezacotl

Quezacotl Regular member

That fstfix report... fstfix is a little buggy, every version got some bugs, best is 1.3f that i remember.

5. luckgh0st

luckgh0st Guest

yeah I've read that some of the early versions of fstfix were crappy. But then again I've never had to use it, thankfully.

@gcunit - You said that you're using the Action Replay and SD Gecko route. And I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think you can boot a backup with those. I've got AR 1.14A and SD Gecko w/512 mb card, now I can play all kinds of Emulators and even boot up GCOS but, I wasn't able to boot any of my backups that way. Which is why I got a cheap mod chip. If you've found a way to boot backups with AR + Gecko, then please let us know.
    enjoy

6. Quezacotl

Quezacotl Regular member

When u can boot GCOS, u can play backups. If u could'nt boot backups, it was reading the backup related problem.

7. gcunit

gcunit Member

(Breathes big sigh of relief)

That's reassuring, having deliberately sourced all the soft-mod eqpt.

I've just had a bunch of dvd-r discs delivered and went straight to burning the original un-rarred image, this time using IMGburn. When I initiated the boot from GCOS it brought up a screen with the name of the iso on it, which led me to believe it was working. I pressed A for it to go to Auto region-forcing and a coupla seconds later I got the 'An error has occurred' screen.

At this early stage I'm assuming my options are:
    a) Try different region forcing (but I think this is unlikely to be the problem)
    b) Try a different version of GCOS (I've got 1.5 but people seem to be saying some beta is more reliable)
    c) Try the dreaded POT adjustments - I'd need to get hold of a meter for that.

Any other suggestions?

8. gcunit

gcunit Member

Well, wouldn't you know it. It was a) try different region option.

Game booted - it turned out I'd used a Super Monkey Ball image, not Bomberman, and it all seemed to play fine. That was until I got to the end of my first go and was entering my name for the high score board. I finished entering my name and not long after the game just hanged on me. Haven't tried it again so don't know if it's a one-off glitch or a bug in the game or a problem with the image or what - but at least I've got images to boot from GCOS - hurrah.

Oh, and for what it's worth, I tried the GCOS public beta .dol and it didn't work. I tried GCOS 1.5 and it worked.

9. luckgh0st

luckgh0st Guest

Well before I put in the chip , I could load up GCOS from SD Card, and never once booted a backup GC game. How did you do it? I was under the impression that you had to have a chip in order to boot a backup from GCOS......

10. luckgh0st

luckgh0st Guest

I was booting .DOL files from SD card...perhaps you guys are streaming?........

11. gcunit

gcunit Member

No, nothing fancy like streaming. I'm booting GCOS 1.5 from an SD card using an SD Gecko. Once in GCOS I just boot from disk, sometimes forcing PAL, sometimes forcing NTSC, with 1.35gb isos on DVD-R discs.

I burned 5 images so far. 4 of them seem completely playable, the 5th is Paper Mario. This takes longer to load but manages it in the end. But it is crashing the system every 10 minutes and, although I know other users have experienced this '10 minute' problem with other games, I don't know how to fix it.

If I play through the game faster I get further, and I can gradually progress by using the save points, and screens keep loading, but every 10 mins it throws me out into 'An error has occurred' screen.

12. Quezacotl

Quezacotl Regular member

@luckgh0st: The purpose of GCOS is and has always been to boot backup DVDs. There's a "play backup" option or something.
    And u dont need a chip for that. Just someway to execute .dol

Last edited: May 1, 2007
  13. luckgh0st

luckgh0st Guest

hmmmm... I thought so but in other forums people said GCOS was usless without a chip. I never got it to boot a backup.... maybe its my SD Card. But this is good news.... if I can get it to work.
    See whenever I booted the .dol file from SD card, (and I tried just about every version) I would go to play backup then It would prompt me to swap, it would say "drive 8 found !" then just hang forever. So maybe it's my SD card... or my cube :( I have a USA .DOL 001 Platinum. Any way I'll toy around with it tonight....

@ gcunit I actually reburnt paper mario. It was fine for a few weeks then I got errors,which when they happened, I'd open the lid and close it, then it would be cool (sometimes until I was done playing sometimes for only 10 minutes. BGut my new copy seems ok so far.
    I read in the modthatcube forums someone said specific games (paper Mario included) should be burnt on + R media, but I've never used +R so not for sure on this one though