1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FTP/ Networking Question??? Ask Here...

Discussion in 'Xbox - Backup discussion' started by chunkhead, Jun 18, 2007.

1. JabJab42

JabJab42 Regular member

Hi again as you know I got it working. The problem was I didn't have a router. Anyways I was just wondering to my self how the direct method works. This is what I understand about the direct method so far. A crossover cable is connected from the computer directly to the xbox. But when I do that I have no connection. My xbox says no link. But when its connected from the modem it does have a link but I can't see the files. Can someone please explain how I'm supposed to setup this up. Oh and the router wasn't mine its my friends. lol

Thank you
    Max

2. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

The direct approach is easy, this guide is aimed directly at that! All that needs to be done is to setup static addresses!

Read through the steps, one by one and do exactly as it says!

3. JabJab42

JabJab42 Regular member

Hey I followed your tutorial and did everything the same. Set the pc's ip to 10.1.1.3 and the xbox's to 10.1.1.5 subnet mask on pc 255.0.0.0
    xbox's subnet mask 255.255.255.0 but and I'm using a crossover cable. But when I connected the xbox into the back of my computer theres no connection the xbox just says no link but when I connect from the modem into the xbox theres a connection. I only have one port at the back of my computer for lan. What am I doing wrong ?

Thank you
    Max

4. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

Why is the Xbox on a different subnet? They need to be the same!

Both are 255.0.0.0

Think of it as one port is speaking English, the other Japanese! They have trouble communicating. If the Japanese comptuter starts to speak English, then communication starts to flow!

5. reeves44

reeves44 Member

ok so i am using dial up, i have a router (lynksys as in setup B) i have the line going into the computer, then out to a router, then to my x-box (i know nothing about networking) i went throuhg and set up my ip as the 192.168.0.3 and sub as 255.255.255.0 and default as 192.168.1.1 and on xbox i used IP 192.168.0.5, sub as 255.255.255.0 and default 192.168.1.1 when i used flashFXP to try to connect it would never connect i had a friend connect to his and it connected with his.... what do i need to do?

6. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

Have you enabled all the settings on the Xbox?

Change your Static addresses to 192.168.1.x

7. JabJab42

JabJab42 Regular member

Ok I went and changed the subnet mask on the xbox so it matches the computers(255.0.0.0/255.0.0.0) but like before it it says no link. But when its connected from the modem to the xbox it has a link but when I type in ftp://xbox:xbox@10.1.1.5:21 it says FTP proxy warning. All the files are read me becuase the proxy is not set up to allow copying pasting and deleting. Could you please explain whats going on and why theres no link. Oh and I do turn the firewall off.

Max

8. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

There shouldn't be a proxy on your home network, and you will not need a firewall either. Turn off both!

9. JabJab42

JabJab42 Regular member

OK but how do I turn proxy off. But I still don't understand why there is no connection between my xbox and computer but only between my modem and xbox.

Thank you
    Max

10. JabJab42

JabJab42 Regular member

Hey I'm not sure this is the way to turn of proxy but. I went to control panel > internet options > advanced tab and then I unchecked enable folder view for FTP sites. That got rid of the FTP proxy warning. But the files were still read me and when I go into the games folder it says the page could not be displayed. This is when I have a connection (modem to xbox).But from computer to xbox like before there is no connection but I still get into the read me files and once I get into the game file the page cannot be displayed. I think the problem is with my setup of the cables. Because the same thing happened before when I my friend brang the router over we fiddled with the cables and we got it working again. I'm REALLY sorry for annoying you constantly but do you see any fault why my xbox can't get a connection when its connected from the comp directly to the computer. I only have one lan port at the back and I have no internet once my computer is connected to my xbox.

Thank you a lot for your patience
    Max

11. reeves44

reeves44 Member

yeah i have enabled everything i think.... lol but anyways on my xbox i have the following setings

type static
    IP 192.168.0.5
    Line Status 00:0D:3A:A0:55:C6
    Setup network yes
    use static Ip yes
    IP 192.168.0.5
    Subnetmask 255.255.255.0
    defaultGateway 192.168.1.1
    DNS 0.0.0.0
    DNS 0.0.0.0
    setup Delay 0
    skip setup if no link no
    HardDisk
    security Lock Enables
    Free Space on C: 150.962.176
    Free Space on E: 4.860.100.608
    Free Space on F: 0
    Free Space on X: 705.921.024
    Free Space on Y: 786.300.928
    Free Space on Z: 14.008.320
    Bios
    bios version unknown
    kernal version 1.00.5838.01
    XBOX hardware info 00000650 D3 D5
    FTP
    Enable yes
    Password xbox
    Telnet
    Enable yes
    RDTools
    Enable yes
    Name xbox_v1.0
    Clock
    jump to ms dash no
    jump if no link yes
    24 hour no
    swapDate no
    SNTP Server 216.244.192.3
    VIDEO
    Video Standard NTSC - North America
    Game Region Auto
    MISC
    M/B Temp 64.0 C
    CPU temp 64.3 C
    HDD Temp N/A
    Dash version +3935
    Pahrenheit NO
    auto launch games NO
    auto launch DVD NO
    auto launch Audio NO
    use F Drive Yes
    Use G Drive NO
    Use items.txt no
    Screen saver 5
    shade level 90
    TSR Disabled
    In Game Resest Yes
    EXIT

now i don't know what i need to do....

12. JabJab42

JabJab42 Regular member

Go to control panel network connections. Then right click on your LAN connection > properties then you will see a box and on top it will say this connection uses the following items. In the box you will see TCP/IP click on that and then click properties > once in that click use the following IP address. Type in 192.168.3 and the subnetmask is the same as your xbox.(it should automatically pop up)The click ok and then ok again it will save the settings. Oh and turn the firewall off.
    Once all that is done. Go into my documents and in the address bar type this:

ftp://xbox:xbox@192.168.5:21

It then should connect to your xbox and display all your folders. Hope it works and hope I helped.

Max

13. reeves44

reeves44 Member

i changed it to 192.168.3 and it said that the ip address was messed up in plain english (i don't remember what it said i did it last night) but i still can't connect to my x-box is my network config set up right? i made a mistake in an earlier message i have the router that is a lynksys but it is wireless would that change anything and being dialup does that have any affects as well? i have my dial up run to my computer then an ethernet cable run to a wireles router then another ethernet cable run to my x-box....

14. JabJab42

JabJab42 Regular member

OK do this.

In your network connections type the following:

Use the following IP
    -----------------------
    PC
    I.P. 10.1.1.3
    Subnetmask: 255.0.0.0
    defaultgateway: leave blank

xbox
    I.P. 10.1.1.5
    Subnetmask:255.0.0.0
    defaultgateway: Just leave as it is

You have to make sure your LAN cable is a cross over, This is how I set mine up:

Wireless router > LAN (any) going to the modem ( It is plugged into the first port usually it is a different color to the others in this case mine was green and the others were blue) Then in the port next to it was a crossover cable connected into the back of my computer. Last but not least my xbox was connected with a crossover cable into the last port. ( I'm sorry for not being able to put pics I have taken pics of my setup but I don't know how to put them on, my apologies)

Once that is all done go into my documents and type the following into the address bar:

ftp://xbox:xbox@10.1.1.5:21

If all goes well you should see all your xbox folders.

Hope this helps
    Max

15. reeves44

reeves44 Member

i figured out that i was using a straight cable instead of a crossover which i didn't have so i cut one of my straight cables and turned it into a crossover and then i connected and everything worked as needed now what do i need to do to upgrade the HD including transfering everything over to new HD? and also how can i make it to where i can use all 320 gigs of HD instead of 137?

16. JabJab42

JabJab42 Regular member

Your going to have to ask Chunkhead about that. Thats all I knew, and I learnt all that from him. I congratulate you on making a crossover cable from a straight you must teach me that sometime. Sorry but I can't help you anymore I lack the skill and knowledge. Contact Chunkhead about it.

Max

17. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

Well, that was fun! I liked watching you guys help each other ( i was monitoring the whole time ;) )

Ok, to upgrade your HDD, simply follow my Tutorials. It also shows you how to gain the Extra space ( You'll only get about 300Gb as some space is lost in partitioning)

As for the cable disaster, well done on making the crossover.

You guys are aware that this is the first thing covered in THIS tutorial!?

18. ld55

ld55 Member

[​IMG]

I was just wondering if the beginning of the tutorial covers the option im doing or do I actually have to go threw the other SETUPS and such? I would think this would be so much more easier doing it like this but ive been having trouble getting it to connect.

The first tutorial is meant for setup C ?

19. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

You'll using something similar to setup 'D'

just follow the guide, if you have no internet connection then you will have less issues!

;)

20. shaowebb

shaowebb Member

Dear god help me ive been stuck trying to FTP for days.

Im using the unleash X dashboard and my stuff is this.

ip address-192.168.88.1
    subnet mask-255.255.255.0
    default gateway-192.168.88.1

I had that in my tcp/ip settings and it would do a bunch of
    Connecting to xbox
    connected
    connection lost

I played around with everything and now it wont even allow that ip. It says its "in use"
    I cant even get things to connect and then lose connection now.
    All it says is connection failure and connection refused.

I have Packet 8 hooked up for broadband phone and Im plugged through it into my xbox via ethernet cable.

I have NO clue what to do. What ive done. And how to fix it. I feel lucky to still have internet as bad as this went.

Help me (quivers on floor)