1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FTP/ Networking Question??? Ask Here...

Discussion in 'Xbox - Backup discussion' started by chunkhead, Jun 18, 2007.

1. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

So it's all good? What was the issue?

2. l0sssst

l0sssst Member

Wrote that at 8am this morning lol, it's not working. God knows why I wrote that =\

3. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

You have to be missing something simple, almost all your settings seem right! Use 'ipconfig /all' to check the running configuration

Check everything and report back the IP Addresses!

PC

IP Address:
    Subnet Mask:

Xbox

IP Address:
    Subnet Mask:

4. philzone

philzone Regular member

Please all mighty chunkhead... help me.
    I have 3 modded xboxes in my house. all normally work fine. I have a server in my basement with large storage drives. xbox accesses them to play my media. occasionally one gets flakey, so i simply delete xbmc, and reinstall. this time problems... Cant ftp in. it hangs up on username. i have tried several ftp clients, and same thing. i made a bootable evox disc(altered .ini to match my settings) and still nothing. when i go to network settings in xbmc, it says ftp username 1/1(none). seems to be no option to change it either. wtf could be happening?

5. philzone

philzone Regular member

dah... sorry, read so much, i forgot what i read on page 1 where
    You said filezilla is corrupt, and replace it. I cant get ftp access to replace it. Also, i always run latest stable t3ch build 2.0.1. But i keep latest bleeding edge version named xbmc2 on xbox. I map a key to launch its .xbe. both versions do the same thing(username none). I even made a bootable xbmc disc, and the same thing... I'M AT A LOSS!

6. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

The userename will be 'none' if there is no connection!

Check your Layer 1 options first.

Start with the cable and see if you are getting link lights! Check all your basics, including restarting your router!

Next ensure that the routing protocols are correct, check the Xbox, PC and router!

7. varnull

varnull Guest

troubleshooting back last page.. (cos I can hear chunks hair falling out.. :lol: ) ;)
    #############################################

With a hub the default gateway on both xbox and pc will be the hub ip...

With a x-over cable having a default gateway IP on the pc will cause a no connection situation... been there.. done that.. :lol:

When the settings seem correct try rebooting both xbox and pc.. the xbox in particular does not do a network reset when settings are changed. also try doing a soft or hard reset on the router.

#############################################

XBMC has become corrupt.. try reinstalling it, or using an evox dash boot disk to get ftp access and checking the XBMC.ini files for settings.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 24, 2007
  8. philzone

philzone Regular member

Ok then... tried all of that before i posted. here is what i did.
    reset router, switch. I put another modded box in its place(same cables), it connects fine. Plugged naughty one directly into router,
    still wont connect. made bootable evox and xbmc disc(altered .ini to match my network settings) no dice... tried bootable evox in a another box and it worked fine. I even tried replacing xbmc off the disc while it was running(obviously that didnt work).
    It does connect to net. jiz not ftp. Cant replace xbmc without ftp
    access. ftp says connected, but hangs at username.
    Other people have posted this issue in forums all over.
    everyone gets the same response... check cables, router, xbmc, etc...
    This is a strange issue not caused by a naughty network, or something simple. I have eliminated the simple answers as described in my 3 posts. Please dont tell me to reinstall xbmc, or i will commit suicide

9. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

Yeah, sounds like an XBMC FTP client fault!

Try this...

Have you got access to the softmod files? Load the softmod screen, you can FTP from there. If you can successfully complete that, then you know that XBMC is to blame.

I have written a tutorial on the Softmod FTP 'Can I FTP an Unmodded Xbox?'

10. philzone

philzone Regular member

Funny you should say that... cuz i used your tutorial to do my first
    ever(by myself) softmod. Congrats on a good dumb-ass-friendly(me) tutorial.
    In doing so, stumbled onto exactly what you speak of. worked...
    Strange thing is... both xbmcs i had on that box had same issue.
    how could they both randomly corrupt? That says to me something currupting it. hmmm.... i have 3 xboxes running on my network, and they all occasionally get wonkey. So i just install fresh t3ch2.0.1, and import my sources, keymap.xml. is this normal? any thoughts? Mr.Head...

11. philzone

philzone Regular member

for the record... It does matter which memory card you use to softmod.
    certain 3rd party cards use compression, and the linux wont decompress
    properly. a genuine ms card is the safest bet. had this problem with a madcatz.

12. philzone

philzone Regular member

oops... wrong forum for that. sry. I wont be offended if that one goes away.

13. evilbulb

evilbulb Member

hi chuck, you rule. i got my softmod done. i am now trying to back up my eprom for a hard drive upgrade. i have flash xp and all neccesary files to make a new hard drive. i cannot connect to my xbox. ( i have set up E on the first page ). cable modem to a wireless router. my router is downstairs and my desktop has a wireless card. my xbox is plugged into my router with an ethernet cable. flashxp will not connect to my box. i have the IP address and all. i am running vista home premium and evox dash. do you think im asking too much from a wireless card?

14. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

For a wireless setup, you'll need to refer to my wireless tutorial, it's slightly different from actually hardwiring it!

It does work, I have one of my Xbox wireless in a similar setup to E.

You'll need to bridge the connections!

15. evilbulb

evilbulb Member

hey chunk, i got a cross over cable , gave up on the wireless for now. it seemed to work when i changed my ip address on my internal ethernet card. i dont use it anyway so to change it is no big deal. but if i change the address on my wireless card, will that affect my connection to the internet?

16. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

If you want everything to talk to each other, they all have to be in the same network!

Instead of changing your wireless, why don't you get your Xbox and PC ethernet port to match the network the wireless is on!?

17. daza22

daza22 Member

Have been reading the posts, but none seem to be specific to my problem. Let me try and lay it out for you. I have both my PC and my XBOX connected wirelessly. However I cannot see the XBOX from the PC. The XBOX says that it is connected to my wireless network, but when I test it by trying to connect to XBOX live it says that there is a problem with the Gateway. I am using a Netgear wireless router and a Microsoft XBOX network adapter (MN-740 I think?) any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. One more thing, I have connected the XBOX to the router with a cat 5 cable and have had no problems FTPing to it, however I do not have that option anymore.

18. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

You'll need to set the correct gateway!

What are all the IP Address that are currently active on your network?

19. evilbulb

evilbulb Member

pardon the ignorance chunk. but do i find the default ip of my router and make the xbox a few digits off. example : router 192.168.0.2, xbox 192.168.0.5 and computer 192.168.0.7?? im used to things being plug and play. not so much with messing with #'s and all. thanks .

Last edited: Nov 27, 2007
  20. daza22

daza22 Member

The router has 192.168.1.1
    The PC is 192.168.1.2
    I have all the way to 192.168.1.51
    I have tried both the router default gateway which is 192.168.1.1, as well as the ISP gateway.

The thing that is getting me, is that the XBOX shows that is connected to the wireless, but I cannot connect. Also I read somewhere in the thread that when I go to the router I would be able to see the wireless adapter as an attached device, this does not show up.