1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FTP/ Networking Question??? Ask Here...

Discussion in 'Xbox - Backup discussion' started by chunkhead, Jun 18, 2007.

1. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

@ daza22

I think it might be best if we moved your problem to the wireless thread... keep it all in the one area so to speak! I'll keep helping you there!

;)

@ evilbulb

Yeah, that concept is called "Static". I like this setup for small networks like your home as there are not too many devices attached to the network and you know where to find everything, even if your network crashes!

Plug 'n' Play with regards to networking is called "DHCP". One device on your network will be the DHCP server (normally a router or DSL modem, but not both. You might want to check that...) and hand out IP addresses to any device that tries to connect to the network. This is an easy way to get your network up and running, however it poses issues with trying to locate your Xbox for FTP purposes should the IP Address change.

DHCP servers 'Lease' IP Addresses out. Your Xbox will be given one and normally will retain that address indefinitely. Only when the Xbox has been powered down for longer then the lease time (which you can set) will the Xbox acquire a new address.

I see no need for DHCP in small networks because you'd have to be an idiot to forget a 'Static' address for the 3 or 4 units attached to your small home network! At least then you'll always know where to find them...

Maybe I'm just anal?

;)

2. evilbulb

evilbulb Member

chunk you rule. the whole FTP FAQ and harddrive up grade, not to mention the softmod tut. all crystal clear and thanks to you, a total noob like me has a kick ass xbox. thank you.

3. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

I love it! Great news to hear you're up and running! Welcome to the Xbox revolution!

;)

4. TBandit

TBandit Regular member

aye any of you guys figure out how to ftp to the xbox yet with vista?

5. the_fum

the_fum Member

Hey all.

Having some probs and was wondering if there's a simple solution.

I tried to update my dash (was using XBMC 1.1.0) and instead of ftp ing the files I used the file system on the XBox to navigate and copy files direct from my PC.

Now when I reboot XBox all I get is a splash screen that freezes.
    I was trying to load XBMC-SVN_2007-12-03_rev10891-T3CH. I backed up the XBMC folder to my PC (using the same method: copying the files on the XBox interface and moving them to one of my shared PC folders.

I have tried everything: holding thumbsticks when booting, holding Y and the White button on boot, tried to ftp (ftp progs can't find xbox - I tried Flash FXP and Filezilla FTP), I tried making an Evox boot disc but the discs I have mustn't be any good for it (only have CD-Rs and one old CR_RW on hand. I have tried to d/l xbox ISO tools to open the slayer boot disc exox.ini to make sure ftp is enabled but no luck - not sure how to do this). I have joined forums, d/l files and progs, burned discs, sifted through the mountains of how to's and tutes but it is a little beyond me what I am doing wrong. I have posted on several forums and done heaps of reading but I can't for the life of me get the thing to work.

All I want to do is get back my original config so I can do it the right way ie. ftp a new dash

On the plus side I have learnt a lot but man is it starting to get frustrating.

My last hope is to go out tomorrow and buy a DVD-R so I can burn this Slayer's evox disc and cross my fingers.
    Any ideas?

6. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

Is your Xbox modchipped or softmodded!?

If it's softmodded, a corrupt dash will not allow you to boot Slayers or anything!

You may need to hotswap...

Read my tutorials and it'll show you how to rebuild!

7. the_fum

the_fum Member

Nah it's modchipped.

I have been working on the prob and I think the issue is that the SLayers ISO file was burnt to a cd-r, so I will grab a DVD-R today and see how that goes.

8. the_fum

the_fum Member

Ok getting ridiculous. I just went and bought a pack of DVD-Rs, burned the slayers ISO and the same thing, that TECH Splash screen.

Any suggestions?

9. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

The T3CH screen should not be coming up if the Slayers disc is working, the Xbox should boot directly into the disc...

Ensure that your modchip is functioning and also try AID v4.10.

My HDD Upgrade tutorials shows you how to burn iso files correctly, just in case you are burning them wrong!

10. drock1286

drock1286 Member

alright...here is my deal. i have a pc running windows xp sp2 on it (and a wireless connection to a home network) and an xbox v1.0 running XBMC as the dash. whenever i plug my crossover cable into the pc, it tells me that a network cable is unplugged. Also, when i run ipconfig in cmd, it tells me that the media is disconnected. my xbox 360 has no problem connecting to the computer and the cable works when i plug the xbox (v1.0) directly into the wireless router. (this is inconvenient because the router is nowhere near a tv and i would like to just ftp straight from my pc). Any ideas?

11. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

Not sure where to start with this one! Obviously you have checked to ensure it IS a crossover cable!?

Next step would be check the ethernet port on the PC.

This will most likely be the source of the culprit. Your wireless isn't using the ethernet port is it? I'd say it's either damaged, unseated or corrupted!

;)

12. drock1286

drock1286 Member

It is in fact a crossover cable, but i don't see how it could be the port on the pc since i use it just fine with my 360.
    I tried uninstalling it and let it reinstall itself and that didn't help either.
    I might need to just get a new network card or something, this has been bugging me for a couple of weeks now...any one else have any ideas?

13. JabJab42

JabJab42 Regular member

Hey its me again.
    I'm trying to set everything up according to your Setup C diagram. But I have a problem. The second connection I have doesn't connect. It just says a network cable is unplugged. Its either the LAN port or the cable. This is what it says on it:

AWM STYLE 20251 E129757 6O (degrees symbol) C 300V I/II A/B FT I/II LL97744. (Just found out that its a Straight through cable)

Oh and my other Lan port is:

D-Link DFE-530TX PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter (rev.B)

One more thing. What is a RJ-45 patch cabel ?

Any help would be appreciated greatly

Thank you
    Max

Last edited: Jan 7, 2008
  14. shrek470

shrek470 Member

ok i got the file i need from the renewed links you left in other post,thank you..........now i have a FTP problem,i followed your ftp guide to the letter,and when i give my computer a static ip address,it disconnects from the internet and i cant access my xbox through flashfxp,it just goes blank,then after a good while ,will say "cant access folder".......so i tried using windows explorer as a 3rd party ftp agent......windows key+E,ftp://xbox:xbox@192.168.1.4,......192.168.1.4 being the xbox's ip address,and i get the following error message.
    "windows cannot access this folder.make sure you typed file name correctly and that you have permission to access the folder.

details:
    220 please enter login name now
    530 unknown user(anonymous) bye"

the set-up i have is set-up B using a safecom router and virgin media stand alone cable modem,only thing is i have another computer hooked to the router,which shouldnt make any difference,should it ?

only a slightly different matter,is it possible to get my 2 computers talking to each other via the router ? without having to network it,so that the 2nd computer has to go through the 1st computer for its internet connection ,as they have independant connections and i would like to keep it that way

Last edited: Jan 7, 2008
  15. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

I used to be very confused by networking myself...

The key is, ensure that you are using the right cable and also that your IP Address for your PC and Xbox are different!

They both need to have the same Subnet Mask, but different IP numbers

eg.

10.1.1.3 255.0.0.0

AND

10.1.1.4 255.0.0.0

If you are using the crossover method, your intenet CANNOT be connected at the same time!

16. shrek470

shrek470 Member

i'm not using the crossover method..........computer 1 (mine) is connected to the 4 port router with a straight RJ45 cable as is the other computer and the xbox..........and IP address assigned to my computer is 192.168.1.2 ,xbox IP is 192.168.1.4 subnet mask is 255.255.255.0 and default gateway is is 192.168.1.1

17. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

What's the IP address of you router? That also needs to be in the same network...

18. OnionPie

OnionPie Member

Hello,

I am trying to set up my network for my Xbox, I figure it may be more cost effective than upgrading my Xbox's HDD. I am lost atm.

I am using Network Set Up Similar to B, with a wireless bridge, which really shouldn't affect anything. ;)

I am already able to ftp to my Xbox through FlashFXP. My Xbox's IP is 192.168.1.105, my pc is using DHCP with Ip of .128.

I tried following the instructions, but perhaps the pictures are outdated, I cannot seem to set the permissions to my Xbox. I am using XP SP2.

Please let me know what I should do. I have tried a numerous amount of combinations but no luck here. =X

19. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

The pictures are fine! Have you set up accounts on XP for your Xbox?

20. JabJab42

JabJab42 Regular member

Hello,

I have a problem with my setup. I'm using Setup C. Ok I have two NIC cards. My modem LAN cable is connected into the computer and then my xbox is connected into the other NIC card, but I get No Link on my xbox. First of all, I thought it was my LAN cable so I got a new one but still, the same thing happens. Help will be greatly appreciated.

Oh and when I'm in Network connections in control panel. I have two LAN or High-speed connection icons ones is connected and the other says cable is unplugged.

These are my two LAN cables.
    1.) Enhanced patch cable 24AWG CM 4PAIR 75(degrees symbol) UTP ETL TO TIA/EIA 568A CAT5e (The colors here are (reading from right) brown, white brown, orange, white blue, blue, white orange, green, white green.)

2.) C(UL) E204816 CM 75(degrees symbol) UTP 24AWG 4PR ETL VERIFIED TO TIA-568-B.2 CATEGORY 5e PATCH CABLE

( The colors aren't like the RJ-45, on this one they are (reading from right) blackish brownish, white with brown stripe, green, white with blue stripe, blue, white with green stripe, orange, white with orange stripe.) I think that may be the problem. But I'm not sure.

I've done this before, but with a router from my friend. The setup was. Modem to main port in router ,cable from router to computer, xbox to router. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
    Max K.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2008