1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FTP/ Networking Question??? Ask Here...

Discussion in 'Xbox - Backup discussion' started by chunkhead, Jun 18, 2007.

1. JabJab42

JabJab42 Regular member

Ok, I got a crossover cable. But know when I type in ftp://xbox:xbox@10.1.1.5:21 I get:

The operation timed out. or
    The connection with the server was reset.

Also when I go into Network connections I have two icons for internet connection and they are both connected. My xbox has a link, and I have a link to the internet. I've set everything up.

pc/xbox
    Static IP 10.1.1.3/10.1.1.5
    Subnet mask 255.0.0.0/255.0.0.0
    Default Gateway 10.1.1.1/10.1.1.1

Could the problem be with my other LAN cable ?

Thank you
    Max

Last edited: Jan 11, 2008
  2. JabJab42

JabJab42 Regular member

Hi,

I have another problem and I'm starting to wonder if anyone will answer. I somehow got it working. I found out I had to disable the internet and it worked. It was working all afternoon and the all of a sudden it just says the computer is disconnected from the network. WHAT THE F**K IS WRONG WITH IT NOW. I do the EXACT SAME THINGS as I did before and now it doesn't work. Whats wrong with it and can someone PLEASE at least reply.

Thank you
    Max K.

3. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

Follow the main tutorial word for word and you should have no issues!

When using two NICS, each NIC has it's own IP Address, make sure you are changing the right one!

The Modem will also have an IP Address, if you change the NIC address that the modem uses to a different network, the internet will cease.

Follow?

4. JabJab42

JabJab42 Regular member

Ok, this is what I've done.

One NIC card has a static IP to my xbox and the other is connected tot the internet. So when I wanted to FTP to my xbox I'd just disable the internet one and it worked fine and then it just stopped. I think it started when I wanted to FTP into my xbox while playing a game and then it said that so I pressed the button combination and got out and then tried but nothing. But know its just saying connection was reset or timed out. I'm getting real angry and confused any help will greatly be appreciated.

Thank you
    Max Kreeger

5. JabJab42

JabJab42 Regular member

It just worked randomly. I went to disable the internet but before that I went into that TCP/IP just to check I wasn't disabling the wrong one, So I check and then I pressed ok and ok again and it saved then I disabled it and then I typed in ftp://xbox:xbox@10.1.1.5:21 and it worked. Weird.

Max.

6. JabJab42

JabJab42 Regular member

Doesn't work again!!!!!. It just says the computer is disconnected from the network again. Does the crossover cable have to go a certain way. Like one end goes in the xbox and the other in the computer and they can't be switch around like it has to be that way. Oh and could the other LAN cable connecting the computer and modem have any effect ?

Thank you
    Max

7. JabJab42

JabJab42 Regular member

Ok this is what I've done:

NIC card 1.) Is my main one the I.P. 10.1.1.3 belongs to it.
    NIC card 2.) Is my second one I don't know its I.P.

Setup: I'm using setup C

Cables: I have a red crossover cable.
    and some normal blue LAN cable connecting the modem.

Actual setup:
    Blue LAN cable goes from modem into my second NIC card.
    Crossover cable goes from xbox into my main NIC card which is number one.

Computer setup:
    My main NIC card which is connected to my xbox is:
    I.P.: 10.1.1.3
    Subnetmask: 255.0.0.0
    Default Gateway: 10.1.1.1

Xbox:
    I.P.: 10.1.1.5
    Subnetmask: 255.0.0.0
    Default Gateway: 10.1.1.1

When everything did work. This was the procedure:

1.) Turn the xbox on.
    2.) Check the info. input for the static I.P. stuff between my xbox. (this is for the main NIC card.)
    3.) Right clicked on the second NIC card which is connected to the internet and disabled it.
    4.) Opened Windows Explorer "win key + E"
    5.) Typed the following: ftp://xbox:xbox@10.1.1.5:21 or ftp://xbox:xbox@10.1.1.5

But now when I do that. IT DOESN'T WORK!!!!
    I have ruled out the possibility of hardware failure because if that was the problem I wouldn't have a connection. BUT I HOPE that I've done something wrong and you can see my error and you can fix it. PLEASE HELP before I smash EVERYTHING.

*Kills nearest person*

Thank you
    Max Kreeger

Last edited: Jan 12, 2008
  8. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

Great post Max, all that information will undoubtedly get us going!

;)

Ok, first off, you need to know all IP addresses on your network!

If you are saying the NIC 1 is 10.1.1.3, find out what NIC 2 is. You shouldn't need to disable the internet!

Also find out the modems IP address, we have set the default gateway as 10.1.1.1, is that the modem? Type that IP Address into Internet Explorer and you should get the Modems page. If that doesn't work, type in 192.168.1.1

Try using FlashFXP like in my tutorial as well, the FTP from explorer is fraught with danger!

The crossover cable isn't directional. Don't assume it's a crossover just because it's red either, check the colours of the wires, each end will be different.

Which dashboard are you using?

9. JabJab42

JabJab42 Regular member

Hey,

I discovered something. When I'm on my mums account it works. Don't know why. By the way I'm using Evox. Well what I did is went to the second NIC card and typed the I.P. 10.1.1.3 and it said it couldn't or something. So I made it 10.1.1.2 and it worked. So I logged of my mums account and went on mine and it didn't work. I logged back onto hers and it worked. Don't know how that works, but as long as it works I'm happy. I think something is interfering with the connection on my account. Oh well. Sorry for bombarding you with messages. Feel free to delete them. Thank you a lot for your help. You really do know your stuff. Until another problem arises. Goodbye.

Thank you again
    Max Kreeger

10. JabJab42

JabJab42 Regular member

lol I'm back I was wrong again.

10.1.1.1 is my modems I.P.
    I tried to find my second NIC cards I.P. and this is what I did. I connected the modem to that port and let it connect. Once it connected I clicked on it and on the left panel it would show the details. Its I.P. is 10.1.1.2 and its subnet mask is 225.225.225.0 I have a feeling that this connection is like a roller coaster something is interfering.

What should I do know ?

Max

11. JabJab42

JabJab42 Regular member

Hey it changed again. I don't know how. Know its

I.P.: 169.254.37.218
    Subnetmask: 255.255.0.0

What pisses me off is that one second it works the other it doesn't and theres no logical reason why.

12. PeteKid

PeteKid Guest

Hello

Sorry to be a pain.. I'm all new to this, but managed to get my Xbox Softmodded with XBMC now (Thanks to your Tut's)

I'm trying to FTP but i am having this problem...

If i click Network>>Servers>> FTP USER NAME ( I get) "(1/1)NONE"

Help :|

Thanks Pete

13. thor999

thor999 Regular member

Anyone else had this problem? I cannot seem to transfer files from my pc to my xbox's "F" folder, although I can from there to my pc, and yes, all files on the xbox are easily accessed with FXP.

14. JabJab42

JabJab42 Regular member

Hello again,

I tried to ftp to my xbox today and I got a message saying this:

An error occurred opening that folder on the FTP Server. Make sure you have permission to access that folder.

Details:
    200 Type set to ASCII
    502 pasv is not implemented
    200 Type is set to ASCII
    425 Can't open data connection to 10.1.1.2:35347

By the way I have installed a new firewall called COMODO firewal pro but I turned that off and I have XBconnect and I have been playing games through that any help will greatly be appreciated.

Thank you
    Max Kreeger.

15. dide_101

dide_101 Member

how come I can never get the wather to work on my XBMC

My FTP works because I was able to play XLink kai on it (AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

...!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

could someone help with my minor problem

16. Swango

Swango Member

Hey all, first let me say I am a complete n00b I admit. I bought my box used and premodded. It has unleash X that was soft modded with splinter cell, xbmc, dongle free and dvd2xbox. i have successfully installed a7800x pcsxbox and xSnes9x the flash ftp although i cant find roms. I have Ndures 2.7 on my pc, as well as action replay, a 007 save game exploit, and craxtion4. I have read for 2 days with out sleep..........
    my ? is cant I transfer the splinter cell exploit from my modded system to a standard memory card and mod other systems that easily? (no usb cut cables or ftp- if that even works on an unmodded box) and will a burnt copy of SC work or does it have to be original?? thanks to those of you who dont yell and just offer advice, im new but obviously have done homework

17. Swango

Swango Member

Well to answer my own ?'s after reading even more.......and really the 2nd question didnt make sense being as a box that isnt modded cant read burnt discs.... but I am seeing that I can transfer the 2 game saves for Splinter cell from a modded box to a memory card which in fact is the easiest way. I guess all I have to do now is buy an original copy of splinter cell and a memory card....By the way I also see that Slayers Evox 2.7 auto installer isnt for soft mods just chipped mods correct??
    Thanks for these posts, everything I have ever learned about computers and systems has been from reading these. U guys fricken rock!

18. Swango

Swango Member

sorry I got away from the FTP thread.... I had it in mind when I started my first post and strayed a bit.

19. david8708

david8708 Guest

hi there guys i have a black original xbox its never been chipped or modded and this doesnt seem to work for me does my xbox need to be modded

20. killahill

killahill Member

wow, i'm not in the u.s. and my english isnt all that and i dont think ill ever get to read all these posts so chunkhead can u please help me with ftp
    everything is connected and nothing wrong with the ftp or anything
    but everytime i try to transfer files into the xbox i cant, the only way i can do it is running xbrowser on xboxhdm and transfer files from the dvd i booted with and i think u can transfer files from another primary master i havent tried that and i dont know if its possible
    and can u burn .xbe files on a cd and run em on the xbox
    and i really cant download aid any version cause the fastest i can download a file 50 miles or 80 kms from where i live is 7 or 20 kb/s so u can do the math on how long that would take and charge me like .87 $ an hour after that, any help would be appreciated, thx