1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FTP/ Networking Question??? Ask Here...

Discussion in 'Xbox - Backup discussion' started by chunkhead, Jun 18, 2007.

1. killahill

killahill Member

^
    please help

2. quietstrm

quietstrm Guest

hey i am using a setup through my cable modem and for some reason when i bring up FLASHFXP i cannot get my xbox to connect...i don't have a firewall up and i have my ip's and password/username all configured...any suggestions?

3. logsend

logsend Member

Not sure if this is the correct place to post this question, but here goes. Has anyone ever solved the issue where a soft-modded xbox gets a new MAC address every time it powered on? I have successfully modded my xbox, loaded XMBC, and installed a 500 GB harddrive. I'm using UnleashX as my default dash, but live in XBMC most of the time. But every time it connects to the network, it presents a new MAC address (last two hex chars keep changing) and hence gets a different address from my router. I could live with this, but now I'm trying to set up a wireless bridge and I can't get it to connect at all. My wireless router (Belkin) is handing out address's just fine, two computers hard wired to router and one laptop wirelessly connected with no issues. The D-link bridge seems to be working fine as well, it connects to my wireless router and I can get to it's internal web page just fine. But the xbox never gets an address. When I hook some other computer to the bridge, its get an address no problem. I've tried setting a static address on the xbox itself, one in the range that my DHCP server is handing out, but no luck there either. Any ideas? This is driving me nuts...

4. dide_101

dide_101 Member

I have a question About FTPs

I use a crossover cable to connect with my xbox I haven't even opened my xbox but I did soft mod it and successfully have XBMC running on it so here's the deal

O on the xbox without the game disc I go to ModGUI and I can see all the folders and everything

Next I try to pop a game that I want to back up and I click on D Drive and it says that the xbox is no longer able to connect with the xbox.

Using the explorer doesn't work either, it says that I do not have permission to go there..

Any help?? solutions
    solved

Last edited: Apr 2, 2008
  5. dide_101

dide_101 Member

Just a heads up Sometimes you must log in to your router ROM BIOS you know port forwarding and forward the ports that you are trying to FTP with like port 20 - 21 and make sure your software fire allows your FTP ports to be forwarded... I think

To do this please see portforward.com it is one of the best sites to go on for Networking issues. (that I know of)

6. JabJab42

JabJab42 Regular member

Hey everyone,

Just a tip that will keep you sane. When you go to FTP you know that you can only have one connection at a time so that means you have to turn your internet off. But in what order you turn it off and your xbox on, it can give really different results. The biggest problem for me was that. I had everything else right except that, so I lost my sanity thinking about WHY it didn't work. But then I made a break through:

What NOT to do: Turn your xbox on and enable your xbox connection and THEN turn the internet connection off. WRONG WON'T WORK.

What TO DO: Turn the internet connection off wait 5 secs after its turned off (Just to make sure). THEN turn your xbox on and carry on as normal.

ALSO if it asks you about your connection and then gives you options to work offline or Try again. CLICK TRY AGAIN!!!. It will work. (Windows Explorer) Best thing to use...

Hope this helps someone
    Max Kreeger.

7. dide_101

dide_101 Member

One thing about FTPing or any other networking projects is that you have to give it time Nothing happens over minutes well atleast for me it didn't I had to learn this the hard way and make everyone online think that I am a big fat n00b or a simple idiot. Please be careful and read through the entire fourm or the entire Trouble shooter b4 posting

8. McPhilby

McPhilby Member

Having the same issue. Dying to get this wireless and can't seem to find a fix. Any help or ideas would be great.

9. duffie

duffie Guest

i have a linksys54g router and the flash xp program and a soft modded xbox(i use x unleashed) so how do i do this? and lastly I'm using a Toshiba satellite A-215 amd turion64 x2 running on windows vista home premium, any more info, ask and i will post, also after reading the trouble shooting guide, im still having issues with the ftp steps, it doesn't post if it doesn't connect, thats a needed step, and further more, it wont let me http it either

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    so i got it to connect but i keep getting
    WinSock 2.0 -- OpenSSL 0.9.8g 19 Oct 2007
    [R] Connecting to my xbox -> IP=192.168.0.101 PORT=21
    [R] Connected to my xbox
    [R] Connection failed (Connection lost)
    [R] Delaying for 120 seconds before reconnect attempt #1
    [R] Connecting to my xbox -> IP=192.168.0.101 PORT=21 (attempt # 1)
    [R] Connected to my xbox
    [R] Connection failed (Connection lost)
    [R] Delaying for 120 seconds before reconnect attempt #2
    [R] Connecting to my xbox -> IP=192.168.0.101 PORT=21 (attempt # 2)

i stoped it at 10 so what do i do?

10. ahwan

ahwan Member

Hi Chunkhead,

I have a problem ftp my softmoded xbox (using XBMC) to my pc. I can only change the password for the server but not the name, the current name shown is "?0?". How can I replace the name to xbox?
    Is this the problem that preventing my xbox to communicate with my pc? Thanks.

11. JabJab42

JabJab42 Regular member

No its not a problem if you have everyhting setup go to windows explorer and type this;

ftp://?0?:yourpassword@IPadress:21 I'll show you what mine looks like;

ftp://xbox:xbox@10.1.1.1:21

Hope I helped.

12. ahwan

ahwan Member

Thanks for your prompt reply.
    I have tried that but seem like explorer can't accept ?0? as the address.

May I know why can't I change the server name as mention in your very beginning post? If I reset my xbmc back to default setting will the server name be xbox then? Thanks.

13. JabJab42

JabJab42 Regular member

It will reset itself to whatever its default name is. So if its default name is xbox yes, but if its default name is ?0? then nothing will happen. Was the name always like this ?

14. ahwan

ahwan Member

yes, when I first switch to the server page trying to do a network setup to ftp it with my pc.
    It don't allow me to change it although I can switch to ?-1? but can't save it. I think it make no different even if I switch it to ?-1?.
    FYI, the softmoded was done by someone else. So is it possible that he had lock the server name when he installed it for me. Thanks.

15. ahwan

ahwan Member

JabJab42,

May be I should explain more on my setup.

I am using a cross wire to connect my xbox directly to the Ethernet port on my pc.
    My pc is connected to internet using a wireless linksys wireless USB adaptor.
    When I try ftp my xbox to pc I did not turn ON the internet connection, firewall of windows and norton 360.
    I have set the ip address of the Ethernet card on my pc as
    IP address: 192.168.0.4
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway: 192.168.0.1 which is the same as my linksys wireless USB adaptor.
    My setting on Xbox is
    IP address: 192.168.0.5
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway: 192.168.0.1
    Hope that you can help to analyze and let me know what went wrong with my setting. Thanks.

16. freeksho

freeksho Guest

Hey Chunkhead, first - big props to you for putting up with so many techno-tards that have no clue as to what they are doing.
    I have always believed, if you can't change a car tire, you shouldn't be driving a car.
    Having said that - Now here I am on the side of the rode with a flat tire, and I can't figure out crap.
    I, also, am having problems with connecting my xbox to the FTP.
    I was using the router method and it was ok, I guess, but I wanted to try the Crossover cable method hoping for faster speeds, my connection via router to FTP is so damned slow it makes me think I am running on the first pentium chip.
    I have VISTA - now I am starting to see the problems.
    When I go in and set my own TCP/IPv4 setting, I set them myself, and click save then I hit OK to exit back out to my Local ARea Connections-ish window. When I go back in to make sure the changes are still there - THEY ARE NOT! So infuriating.
    OR how about this method - since I have yet to ever connect with FXP - EVER! - I was using FTP Deluxe, which worked without a problem, but uploads are slow.
    I burned Flight of the Conchords Season 1 - OMG, the best TV series EVER! - to a DVD Disc and transfered the files, but they went into a defualt Data/MyDisc <--the name of the disc.
    Is there a way to move files around from within the unleashX or XBMC interface? or a way to shoose where files go from disc to HD?
    and I know this isn't a forum about XBMC - feel free to curse at me, but where is my xboxmediacenter.ini file? I cant find it to edit the locations to look for certain files.
    Dude, if i were you, I'd totally hate freeksho

17. talkmeup

talkmeup Member

Not sure if anyone is even checking this thread any longer but I'll give it a shot.

I've got a Linksys Router with DD-WRT as my main router, cable modem going directly into it. Wired to the router is my PC.

My xbox is connected to a linksys wireless ethernet bridge, it is softmodded with evox dash

My Router settings are DHCP and are

IP: 192.168.1.1

My bridge settings are Static and set to:

IP: 192.168.1.11
    Gateway: 192.168.1.90

My XBOX is set to static, and settings are:

IP: 192.168.1.4
    Setup Net: Yes
    Use Static IP: Yes
    IP:192.168.1.4
    Subnet: 255.255.255.0
    Def Gateway: 192.168.1.1
    DNS: 0.0.0.0
    DNS: 0.0.0.0

I can't connect to my network or to the web, but I can connect to it via FTP wirelessly, I know I've screwed something up, can someone help me!! Thanks!

18. dameista

dameista Member

Hi,

Question about getting the smb sharing to work.
    My settings:

D-Link Router
    DCHP IP: 192.168.0.100

PC:
    Static IP: 192.168.0.102

Xbox:
    Static IP: 192.168.0.106
    Added to workgroup 'Home', same as the pc and the rest of the network settings in the Xbox are copied from the examples here.

sources.xml excerpt:
    <bookmark>
    <name>Series</name>
    <path>smb://xbox:xbox@192.168.0.102/series</path>
    </bookmark>

I created a user account xbox, setup the shares correctly etc but still cannot connect to them from the xbox. I also cannot use the 'general' SMB Network link, I get 'cannot connect to server'.

I suspect the following has something to do with it:
    In My router settings, the xbox does not appear as 'having been assigned an ip'
    [​IMG]

DM1 (PC), DM2(laptop) and Diamond (phone) get an ip...
    In the settings, the xbox has an ip and FTP is no problem.
    Can anyone help?

Thanks already!

19. redman024

redman024 Member

Hi,

I just finished soft modding my xbox, but now i want to put games on it... found out i have to ftp into it, problem is i searched all over google and nothing works, every time i try to ftp onto my xbox nothing happens. ive baught a brand new cat6 cable of staples(guy told me it was a crossover cable) tried doin these tuts and still nothing happens. i have windows vista home edition,compaq presario sr1020nx 1, and spare nic card. im running unleash x on my xbox. every time i lookt at the network screen i see this

currentip: no link (dont know why)
    link status:
    enable: yes
    Type: static
    Ipaddress: 192.168.0.3
    subnetmask: disapears for some reason
    Gateway: same thing
    dns1:
    dns2:

then on vista it shows this
    http://img291.imageshack.us/my.php?image=48162922io7.jpg

so can you please help me with this. i want to put a bigger hd but i cant back it up =(

edited by creaky to try and fix the screenshot

Last edited: Sep 17, 2008
  20. JabJab42

JabJab42 Regular member

Hey,

I've had some bad ass problems with FTP connections in the past. To start off, which connection setup are you using ?. I'm guessing your using setup C because of the two connections you had. Obviously it shows that your supposed to use a crossover for the Xbox, but even if you use a straight through it would still show on your xbox that there is a link. Try another LAN cable see if you get a response. It might be that its a CAT 6 and it doesn't recognize it. We'll need Chunkhead to clarify that.

For now just try another normal LAN cable and see if you get a link.

Max