1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FTP/ Networking Question??? Ask Here...

Discussion in 'Xbox - Backup discussion' started by chunkhead, Jun 18, 2007.

1. redman024

redman024 Member

2. redman024

redman024 Member

i was thinking...

if i use Setup D but instead of the crossover cable going to the NIC card, it goes directly to the modem, will i be able to ftp that way???

(sorry if im asking stupid or to many questions)

3. JabJab42

JabJab42 Regular member

Hey,

Sorry that doesn't work, because then your only having a connection with your modem not the computer. So how will you be able to see whats on your HDD ? Setup C is by far the easiest to setup. You don't need two NIC cards either you can just have one. So when you want to FTP into your xbox, just change the settings and hook your xbox up, that's what I used to do. But the first thing we have to solve is the general connection. We need to see that your xbox has a link. Did you have any luck trying different LAN cables ?

Max

4. redman024

redman024 Member

no, shows the same thing

current Ip: no link
    Link status: (blank)

these are the settings i have on the nic card.. dont know if its right or wrong.
    [​IMG]
    and isnt the light behind the xbox and nic supposed to light up when connected?

Last edited: Sep 18, 2008
  5. redman024

redman024 Member

im guessing this topic is dead =(

6. TBandit

TBandit Regular member

Are you using a crossover wire or a regular ethernet cord?

7. redman024

redman024 Member

using a cat 6e cable i think... isnt it a crossover cable?

8. TBandit

TBandit Regular member

I forgot but if you have windows vista than an easier way would be to plug the ethernet cord from the xbox to the pc than put the address as DHCP automatically find ip and see if that works

9. redman024

redman024 Member

nope, nothing happens, no lights, no message, nothing... is it because of the cable?

10. dennisv9

dennisv9 Regular member

do you actually have a mac address displaying in your evolution/unleash settings? maybe your xbox nic is not working. as soon as you put a utp cable into your xbox, and you power on the xbox, then the activity leds should start blinking (will do the same without connecting a cable btw). if the doesn't blink at all, you might have nic controller problems on your xbox

i assume you changed the setting on the right network card? (so if your xbox connects to your spare card, you changed the network setting on your spare card and not the one you use to connect to your modem with!) just asking.

you can also try to change the duplex mode (configure ==> advanced under duplex mode) to 100mb/full duplex! don't leave it on auto, change to 100mb full duplex. for me this did the trick

if you are not sure about your cable, it might be the problem, just look at the coloring of the wiring. compare it with the pictures in the first post (look straight down on the front end of the connector). if it is crossed, the coloring of the wiring will be slightly different on both connectors. if they are similar on both connectors in the same order(orange, orange white, etc. etc.), then you have a straight cable.

you can also check the cable you bought by just connecting your modem with your pc with the cross cable. for that connection both cross as well as straight will work.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2008
  11. redman024

redman024 Member

do you actually have a mac address displaying in your evolution/unleash settings? maybe your xbox nic is not working. as soon as you put a utp cable into your xbox, and you power on the xbox, then the activity leds should start blinking (will do the same without connecting a cable btw). if the doesn't blink at all, you might have nic controller problems on your xbox

yes, and nic card is working

i assume you changed the setting on the right network card? (so if your xbox connects to your spare card, you changed the network setting on your spare card and not the one you use to connect to your modem with!) just asking.

yes have it just like the tut says i should

have it on 100tx_full duplex

cant really see the tip because its in all black(maybe i can put the link to the product??)

and when connected to the modem,works perfectly..

12. DeformedG

DeformedG Member

my xbox wont connect to my computer and whenever i attempt to change the network i can no longer use my internet. also my ip is different than the one provided and nothing seems to work
    ip - 192.168.1.2
    my xbox automatically deletes all the networking information when i save it and restart it also. no clue whats going on and cant FTP XBMC to my softmodded xbox with UnleashX as Dash as an app (i guess im saying thats what im trying to do)

13. Swango

Swango Member

Im not an expert but I think that IP is a static IP you want a DHCP (go into settings on your xbox and manually change it to DHCP then scroll down and hit save and exit) DHCP addresses at least on mine are like xxx.xxx.1.109 for the last few digits and yes everytime I start my xbox the last 3 numbers change.its been from like .101 to .102 all the way to .110

As far as FTPing XBMC to the xbox if there isnt already a folder named Apps or Applications ( I think the first but Im not hooked up so I dont remember right off but one of the has to be there) then you need to make a folder for Applications, FTP XBMC to that folder, shut down your xbox and restart it and it should be there. I had problems with that too. I actually used Xhdm to copy my old C drive then transfered to my new xbox using a DVD instead of FTP.

14. bigdog626

bigdog626 Regular member

15. Swango

Swango Member

You need a router not a modem...a modem hooks your device to the internet, a router spreads access to several different devices such as making your computer access your xbox. you do not need internet to back up your games. What you need is a multiport router and to hook up an ethernet cable from the router to your xbox and then another from your router to your computer. then, once all your settings on your xbox are correct, you can use a program like smartftp or flashFXP to transfer files between the 2 devices using the router as a hub. Qwix is another great program that actually transfers the files straight from your DVD drive on your xbox to your hard drive on your computer in .iso form so that all you need to do is use DVDdecrypter to burn it onto disc and you have a perfect playable backup. Of course your xbox has to be modded to do all this and if its not Chunkheads tutorial is so easy even I used it and I have 3 modded xbox's for my 6 kids! EVERYTHING you need to know is in his tutorial you just have to read ALL of it. I never even played an xbox before, bought one, read his tut (Took 3 days to fully understand but I was a complete newbie, meaning I didnt know any of the terms at all) But now I mod every xbox my friends have and install the remote free dvd player because it is BS that you have to buy a separate remote....XBMC is also nice because you can play all kinds of computer media on your xbox and watch it on tv (great for downloaded movies)

16. bigdog626

bigdog626 Regular member

ty i think u have been the best help im dumb for not being able to get it on all those post ty agin

17. rayray262

rayray262 Guest

Ok guys i'm am new here so bare with me I soft modded my xbox got everything working connected to my pc able to watch movies through xmbc and all then I did it to a buddy's xbox everything good the problem I am having with his is getting his files to share to his xbox I can log on to the xbox through ftp but can't seem to get the files to share. What i was woundering if there is a guide that can guide me through to do it on his computer witch is running vista mine is running xp pro. The vista sharing is a little bit different then xp. we have his computer and every thing contected through a router.

18. Swango

Swango Member

19. Obinoodle

Obinoodle Member

hey there..
    Im trying to connect my xbox360 to my pc.
    My pc information is as follows:

Ip Address: 192.168.0.170
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway: 192.168.0.1

I was just wondering, what ip address and subnet gateway and other information like that do i type in in my xbox360 to get it to connect to my pc?, im a little confused atm.

20. dickalan

dickalan Member

Hello, since i'm a newb i'll try my best not to annoy people here. I also did my best to understand the manuals, searching similar questions, etc. however it seems much of this is a little over my head and my question is problem specific.

MY GOAL IN THIS THREAD: To be able to watch youtube, apple trailers, and maybe even hulu.com streamed through my xbox using xbmc.

MY PROBLEM: A messed up network. When I say this I mean I'm able to FTP using flashfxp into my xbox via my computer. And I'm also able to use xbmc's smb so i can watch movies, music and pictures through my computers hard drive. So the network seems to do fine in those areas. However xbmc isn't connecting to the internet. So i can't stream anything.

Now in order for either ftp or smb to work, different settings have to be in place. In windows under 'network connections' my wired NIC has to be shared (properties---> advanced---> Internet connection sharring, box check marked) for SMB to work, this in turn cuts off my computers internet. And vise versa with the wireless. When I share it, my ftp works and the internet will continue to work. However both cannot be shared at the same time.
    I'm thinking i just need to get the settings right in order for xbmc to access the internet i'm just not sure how.

Now for the technical side of things:

My SETTINGS:

XBOX
    Xbox Evox settings:
    type - DHCP
    IP - 192.168.1.104
    Line Status - 100/full duplex
    Ethernet MAC address 00:50:F2:38:3A:8B
    Setup network - Yes
    Use Static IP - No
    IP 192.168.0.2 (don't know why this is different than above)
    mask - 255.255.255.0
    gateway - 192.168.0.100

Xbox XBMC settings:
    Automatic DHCP
    IP - 192.168.1.104
    mask - 255.255.255.0
    gateway - 192.168.1.1
    dns - "

My computers Settings:
    My xbox to pc network is through a router. So a visual would be:
    pc--cable---router-----cable---xbox
    The settings change when dhcp are enabled/disabled but let me know if you need the settings for the wireless or land NIC's. -in either setttings

THE SOLUTION: That where you guys come in! THANK YOU :laugh:

p.s. I've tried fiddling with a static connection like this tutorial shows:
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/523607#3165659
    but everytime i've done it, I can't get any settings to work...