1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FTP/ Networking Question??? Ask Here...

Discussion in 'Xbox - Backup discussion' started by chunkhead, Jun 18, 2007.

1. xchasmx

xchasmx Member

sorry about that i was just kinda frustrated about something else. but anyway im on windows xp. like i said i realized that right after i wrote that. but the menus for sharing are different on my computer. it has an option for sharing folders on a network but no permissions button.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 25, 2007
  2. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

Are you using Windows XP Home?

Also, just check if the settings are any different on a folder that you create, not the default "My Music" folder!

I'm assuming that you have already setup an "xbox" user account on Win XP!?

3. xchasmx

xchasmx Member

how would i be able to tell if im using win xp home?

no the settings look like that for every folder.

yes i set up a "xbox" account.

if you could get back to me tonight that would be great because i wont be able to do any more until saturday.

o wait i forgot about "logmein". i guess as long as i only need to do stuff on comp ill be fine.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2007
  4. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

You're system settings should be able to tell you the Windows version!

The other thing to try is, instead of clicking on 'Share' from the context menu, try 'Properties' and click on 'Sharing' from there!?

5. lowkey

lowkey Member

I am trying to set up a SMB share with XBMC and I am having a little trouble. I have Both internet and ftp access on both pc and xbox. I am running my connection through a Linksys wrt54g router. Is there something in the router settings that I have to change? Port forwarding? My pc is setup to obtain ip automatically and the xbox is static ip. If I change the pc to static I can ftp to the xbox but the internet is lost on the pc. I followed the tutorial and still no luck. When I browse to the SMB Network Share in XBMC i get "could not connect to network server". I'm sure you'll need more info but I'm not sure what to list here.

6. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

Make sure that both the Xbox and the PC are on the same network (eg. 192.168.1.x) also ensure the router is too!

No harm in making your PC Static also! DHCP is designed for a large network, you don't have one of those!

Have you setup the user account in Windows?

7. lowkey

lowkey Member

Everything is on the same network.
    Router 192.168.1.1
    PC 192.168.100
    Xbox 192.168.102

I setup the user account and changed the share properties of the folders as the tutorial instructed. If it is an issue with static ip on the pc...how do I get to the internet once I set the tcp/ip settings to static and the addys as they are supposed to be? I see in the pictures that the dns servers are "for internet". Is there something I need to put in there to access the internet with the pc set to static?

8. lowkey

lowkey Member

I got the pc set to static and with internet...a little trial and error goes a long way...so the above settings are still the same and still no smb share. I tried to add the source and browse but I still get an error.

9. lowkey

lowkey Member

I hate posting my own answer but here it is...when I browse for the server I can type in the ip addy of my pc and poof...I have shares. I added all the interesting ones but I will have to go and sort all the files and folders out to make the library function a little simpler to use. I have no idea how I fumbled into this thing working but I got it. Thanks for the help Chunk. btw if people are having difficulty following your extremely simple tutorial send them to the XBMC Online Manual...it helped me out on this one.
    http://www.xboxmediacenter.com/wiki/index.php?title=Xbox_Media_Center_Online_Manual

10. xchasmx

xchasmx Member

ok after a few hours on the site lowkey posted i finally got sharing to work.

11. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

Have you not got a WORKGROUP name set for your PC?

Go to 'System Settings' and see what your "Computer Name" is. If there is none there, you'll need to set one! May have been overlooked when you setup Windows!

12. jfbtimes2

jfbtimes2 Member

Hi,

Well this forum ia great. Set up FlashFXP with no issues and connecting with no problems. I was wondering if some one can direct me on how to change the main menu of my modded xbox. I want the game systems (N64 etc.) to show on my menu without having to go to XBMC and go to the file to play it.

13. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

Hi jfbtimes2,

I'm glad your network is operational, however, if you have an issue that does not belong directly in this thread, either find one that does (use search) or start a new thread in the appropriate section.

Thanks,

Chunkhead

14. JabJab42

JabJab42 Regular member

Hello

I have been struggling with this for the past 3 days now and I'm going crazy. The way I have set everything up is a crossover cable is going directly from my modem into my xbox so I have no internet connection. My settings are as follows.

PC settings
    This is in my TCP>IP section
    IP: 192.168.0.5
    Subnetmask: 255.255.255.0
    DefaultGateway: 192.168.0.1
    -----------------------------
    Settings/info
    Network
    Type :static
    Line status: 100/ Full Duplex
    Ethernet MAC address : Don't know if I should give that away
    Setup network: Yes
    Use static IP: Yes
    IP: 192.168.0.5
    Subnetmask: 255.255.255.0
    DefaultGateway: 192.168.0.1
    DNS: 0.0.0.0
    DNS: 0.0.0.0

I go into network connections right click > properties >TCP/IP and put the same IP that is on my xbox into the very same IP section. But when I try connect using FlashFXP it times out. What I also don't understand is the section under.

You can clearly see where we are going with this. Yep, you need to simply give the Xbox an IP address on the Network that the PC is on.

If you chose the 10.1.1.3 setting, give the Xbox 10.1.1.5.
    If you chose the 192.168.0.3 setting, give the Xbox 192.168.0.5
    Keep the Subnet Mask and default Gateway the same as the PC.

That's it, they are now on the same network.

How do you get 10.1.1.5 from 10.1.1.3 and 192.168.0.5 from 192.168.0.3

Please help I'm running out of ideas and options

Thank you
    Max

15. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

I'm not sure why you are connecting with a modem, but...

Ok, you need to set a static IP address. This is shown in detail in the guide on page 1.

The Xbox needs to be a different number!

Make the PC address 10.1.1.3
    Make the Xbox Address 10.1.1.5
    Subnet for both 255.255.255.0

16. JabJab42

JabJab42 Regular member

OK that seems to have done something becuase when I type in ftp://xbox:xbox@10.1.1.5:21 It connects and then says The computer is disconnected from the network unlike before it just said no route to host or no connection. Do I need a router ?

Thank you very much

Max

17. jfbtimes2

jfbtimes2 Member

Thanks for the reply chunkhead. I guess I should have mentioned that I tried to search for it with no luck, and wanted to know if anyone could guide me. I'll start a new thread

18. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

@ JabJab42

Have you set the PC to the static address of 10.1.1.3?

Also, just type ftp://xbox:xbox@10.1.1.5 into Windows explorer.

19. JabJab42

JabJab42 Regular member

Hello
    My friend brang over a router and I set ti all all up gave the comp the ip of 10.1.1.3 and it all worked fine then all of a sudden when I I wanted to change a game file I typed in ftp://xbox:xbox@10.1.1.5 like usual and it comes up with the is set to only read me since the proxy doesn't allow it. Then I tried a FTP client that worked then I got out of it and later went back in and now it just times out and when I try the other method of typing the ip in windows explorer I get it but its all read me.

What happen.

Thank you
    Max

20. JabJab42

JabJab42 Regular member

Its ok I fixed it the lan cables were in the wrong ports or something. To make sure this never happens again I took a picture of the setup lol. Thank you Chunkhead for all your help. I have successfully modded my first game (GTA SA) Thank you again

Thank you again, again and again

Max