1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ftp to my xbox

Discussion in 'Xbox - Software discussion' started by thedrocks, Jul 26, 2004.

1. thedrocks

thedrocks Member

I have cuteFTP and a modded xbox. My xbox is connected to the the same router that my computer is. I try to ping to my xbox from my computer in the command prompt but it gets nothing. Any help on how i should set things up and get this to work would be appresheated.

2. Achilles3

Achilles3 Guest

You need to have an alternative dashboard such as Evox in order to use FTP.

3. thedrocks

thedrocks Member

I forgot to mention that but i do have Evox as my alternet dashboard.

4. Achilles3

Achilles3 Guest

OK look at your Xbox's IP under "system settings", it should be the one in blue right under "Type" and not the one that's in white and under "Use Static IP". Try to connect to the blue IP.

If the problem still persists, check your wirings. You can't use a cross-over cable to connect your Xbox to the router, but use a patch cable. The only time you can use the cross-over cable is from your Cable/DSL modem to the "uplink" port.

If you still have trouble, try FlashFXP instead of CuteFTP. That's all that I could think of right now.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]"For gaming supremacy, there's no power greater than X."[/small]

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 26, 2004
  5. thedrocks

thedrocks Member

When I try to ping to my xbox IP I get a "request time out" error. When I ping just to the xbox I get the error "ping request could not find host xbox". How can I tell the difference between a cross-over cable and a patch cable. Thanks for your help by the way.

6. Achilles3

Achilles3 Guest

7. thedrocks

thedrocks Member

I checked and I have a crossover cable connecting my xbox to my router. I'm going to go make a patch cable and see if that works.

Thanks for the help

Do crossover cables work for playing online and patch cables work for ftping?

8. Achilles3

Achilles3 Guest

Let's see, the only time you'll use a cross-over cables is when connecting the Xbox straight to your PC, or from your Cable/DSL modem to your router's uplink port. The other times you will use patch cables. So yes, patch cables are for use with connecting your Xbox to the router, then router to PC for FTP access.

When you go online with Xbox, unless you connect your Xbox straight to your Cable/DSL modem, then yes you can use the cross-over cable, otherwise use the patch cable through the router. And before you use XBLive, you need to turn your modchip off or XBLive will ban your Xbox for good. And you'll need the original games also.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]"For gaming supremacy, there's no power greater than X."[/small]

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 27, 2004
  9. thedrocks

thedrocks Member

I've made a patch cable and if I use it to connect my xbox to my router I don't get an IP address. I've gotten an IP address with the crossover cable though.

10. Achilles3

Achilles3 Guest

Are you using Windows XP? If so, try turning the firewall off.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 27, 2004
  11. bc55

bc55 Member

Hi

@all

What I was doing wrong is ignoring the Gateway Address. It is crucial if you are using a router for example, as this HAS TO BE the IP number of your router's gateway, mine is 192.168.2.1

As soon as I had that set, it worked like a dream.

Think of the gateway like a roadmap to your XBOX. If you haven't set the IP correctly, the FTP program will only be looking for the XBOX IP, but it will be looking at a bunch of closed doors it can't get through.

by telling it the gateway IP, i can open the 'router door' and look beyond, thus finding your XBOX.

Peace

BC55