1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FTP to Xbox works then stops

Discussion in 'Xbox - General discussion' started by pldin, Jan 18, 2004.

1. pldin

pldin Member

I've got my XP base PC networked to my Xbox and have managed to FTP files from the Xbox to the PC. All works well for about 30min then the transfer stops. Also to get the connection working again the IP address need to be changed. I'm using Flash as the FTP program.

anyone got any ideas or suggestions.
    Thanks
    Pete

2. s8nsch1ld

s8nsch1ld Regular member

That shouldn't happen at all. When it happens does your whole Xbox lock up? Or the PC?

Is you network usually ok?

Is the disk you are trying to copy scratched / corrupt, have you tried another DVD.

3. pldin

pldin Member

s8nsch1ld

"That shouldn't happen at all. When it happens does your whole Xbox lock up? Or the PC?"

No neither the Xbox or the PC locks up. I can still run programs within both.

"Is you network usually ok?"
    I did have a problem with my home network but I replaced the faulty NIC card with a new one. I'm using only 1 NIC (on the XP pro PC) and a crossover cable.

"Is the disk you are trying to copy scratched / corrupt, have you tried another DVD."
    I wouldn't think so as it is a new DVD.

Some thoughts I've had.
    Maybe the BIOS?
    Running to HOT? (M/B Temp was about 125F and the CPU was 140F) - Could be, but the Xbox did not lock up completely.
    XBOX network card stuffed? - Don't know.
    Big question is WHY can't I use the same IP address twice. !!!!

Very Strange!!!

Thanks for the reply.

pldin

4. s8nsch1ld

s8nsch1ld Regular member

Damn that's hot. That may well be to do with it, but if you can then play games without a reboot then that would point towards not being heat.

I'll have a think about it later but for now what bios / dash are you using?

Does your pc have a screensaver / power save would kill it and probably wouldn't resume.

Have you tried a different FTP prog, or even a different PC, if you have either or both at your disposal it's worth a shot.

5. pldin

pldin Member

s8nsch1ld,

I think I got this sorted out last night. I s l o w e d down the transfer rate from 100M bit to 10M bit and I successfully transfer approx 4GB of data.

I also changed the x-over cable for a shorted one.

After looking through a few forums at various sites I never once saw anyone with this same problem.

thanks
    Pete

6. s8nsch1ld

s8nsch1ld Regular member

The XBOX net card runs at 100mbps fine, full duplex i think. I guess you are limited by your network card. It might be an idea to check the settings of the network card are set to manual and try it at 100mbps (if it does it).

It could have been the auto-negotiate killing it.

It's not essential but it would mean 10x faster downloads.

Glad you're going anyways!

7. pldin

pldin Member

After I've backed up all the data I'll play around with the settings and try to get the download going faster.

Thanks for your help.

Pete