1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ftp to xbox

Discussion in 'Xbox - Hardware mods' started by francis7, Dec 1, 2010.

1. francis7

francis7 Member

Is it possible to ftp to my xbox over the internet ? I ftp with no problem on my own network. Is it only configuration changes i have to make to my router ?

2. ps355528

ps355528 Active member

yeah.. that and changing all the passwords and running a wide open port 21 ftp service to the xbox through your router... (look in the virtual server/special application ports settings of your router) this may not work anyway as your isp may block all port 21 directed incoming traffic.

I run a webserver and it gets scanned for vulnerable ports at least 10 times an hour.. it provides sftpd (secure ftp) on a high port which is detected and hammered by wouldbe hackers day and night...

hope you know how much of a security risk that is. ;)

I would not recommend running ftp services on an xbox connected to the internet .. the antiquated operating system is a sitting duck... (no maximum login attempts.. very vulnerable to brute force hacks) literally. If you want to provide yourself with ftp services then look into running linux on it instead and set up a secure server with xebian (update the kernel and software though.. please.. otherwise again.. obsolete and very very vulnerable) iptables (the linux firewall) can give you a good measure of protection.. but only if you know the ip's you will be accessing the server (it becomes an ftp server) from ..