1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FTP To Your Xbox Using Windows Explorer/Internet Explorer/FireFox

Discussion in 'Xbox - Software discussion' started by Mik3h, Oct 6, 2006.

1. daheightz

daheightz Member

umm i a newbie so i wanna kno cuz im lost ok i connect my xbox to the router n den the router to my computer but i dont get nothin no pop ups or anything so i open FlashFXP nd i click connect ok i write my IP Adress For My Xbox nd it connects for a couple seconds but then it disconnects by itself can anybody tell me wat im doin wrong

2. janrocks

janrocks Guest

@ jparkes.. welcome to the world of the long filename, or invalid character. Try renaming the file.
    It's a rom so it's probably got lots of (i)(x)_(!) ' {} type stuff in the name...chop it to just the name of the game plus the n64 or whatever extension..

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 30, 2006
  3. Mik3h

Mik3h Regular member

Make sure on your network connections, your main connection is set to allow windows ICS (internet connection sharing) presuming you are running Windows. And "allow other networks users" tick both top boxes.

< Set it to "automatic" on your xbox, and manually give it an IP address on your PC.

-Mike

4. cubix

cubix Member

Slightly off topic but Mik3H do you know if the xbox1 dvd drive can be flashed like the 360 so it will play backup games. I have done a couple of google search's but not getting any real "How to's".

Thanks Cubix

5. Mik3h

Mik3h Regular member

To the best of my knowledge, no, I don't think it can be done. I've never heard of it being done either. I think your only option is a modchip or a softmod.

-Mike

6. magawake

magawake Member

Very interesting...

Did you mod your xbox? or stock?

7. Mik3h

Mik3h Regular member

I softmodded my Xbox and I'm running the latest version of XBMC :)

-Mike

8. idiot13

idiot13 Member

I have the SAME EXACT PROBLEM and ironicly THE SAME EXACT IP ADDRESS... Coincidence???

9. menai

menai Member

hey Mike,

Your knowledge has been a great help ever since i found this site which was like.... 30mins ago.

It took me a while to find a site like this. (praise the lord!)

My situation is, i have my xbox connected through a switch.
    my cable modem is connected directly to the switch along with my xbox and computers.

my internet connection requires a dynamic ip which alocates an ip address to my xbox and each of my computers.

the problem is, the ip address regularly changes.

now this isnt a problem at all, but everytime i map to the xbox via windows explorer or ftp via flashfxp, i need to get the ip address (which requires me to turn the tv on which i dont like doing everytime i need to connect).

is there a way i cam map to it through like a domain name/ machine name or something along those lines?

my computers at home all have machine names and i can simply map to their drives by typing in the machine name instead of the ip address.

is there a way i can configure it to have a host name?

any assistance would be much apreciated.

Thanks in advance

Menai.

10. Mik3h

Mik3h Regular member

Are your settings set to automatic? And cis there any way you can try it through a router?

-Mike

11. menai

menai Member

yes, but when i need to map to it, i need to type in the ip which regularly changes.

e.g. ftp://xbox:xbox@xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (where the x's regualarly change)

if there was a way i could give my xbox a hostname (ftp://xobx:xbox@hostname) so the hostname can establish what ip address is being used at the time.

a router would do the same thing. my ISP continually changes my ip, i can request for a static but it costs a fortune.

menai.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2007
  12. brandonks

brandonks Member

hey umm... im trying to transfer halo2 maps from my xbox to my comp for modding through flashfxp. I have a harmodded xbox with x3. I try ftping the maps on flashfxp using a router, but the files download for a little while then just stops. I have come to a conslusion that this is due to the internet connection. So i am now trying to ftp with cross over cable. But I cant seem to connect. I used guides from www.teammodders.com, i followed it exactly. It says that after i configure the ip address on both comp and xbox, i have to reboot my xbox. I do so. When it brings me back up to my dash board, its supposed to show the ip i put in earlier befor the rebooton the bottom left hand of the screen, but all it says is "no links!". Can anyone help?

13. Mik3h

Mik3h Regular member

Is there any way you can do it without the router? ie. Crossover cable from PC > Xbox using Windows ICS Internet connection sharing (assuming you are using Windows)

-Mike

14. brandonks

brandonks Member

I guess I could. Wouldnt that involve me hooking up my comp with my xbox using an ethernet cable to get things set up? The reason why Im choosing to use crossover because I beleive it will be the most successful.

15. cubix

cubix Member

Something that always seems to work for me is to turn off any firewalls(ZA/Xp ones), Set static IP's on pc and xbox,the weird thing I found here is my xbox my default seem to like 192.168.0.2 and my pc was 192.168.0.3. making sure to chage gateway to 192.168.0.1 and the same for the DNS. I say weird because if I had 192.168.1.2 on the xbox and 192.168.1.3 for the pc the setup would not work for me. All of above with either a crossover cable or router just using Ms internet exploer. ftp://xbox:xbox@192.168.0.2 sometimes you get a another window open up along with "access denied" message. On this new window you should be able to click on file/login which promts you to enter in the username/password again xbox/xbox and that should be it

Cubix

16. smash22

smash22 Regular member

So you can't use a ether net cable correct? ALso where can i get a crossover cable? Any special type thanks guys. Im looking at this one
    7' FT PC TO PC CROSSOVER CABLE ETHERNET CAT5 RJ45 CORD will it do the trick ?

17. lou19

lou19 Member

hey when i try to ftp i don have a modded xbox or evox im trying to install xbmc and xbmc 360 but i get a mesaage u do not have permission to visit i have a bridge connection with my xbox and my labtop in my room and a main desktop thats wireless any help?

18. JabJab42

JabJab42 Regular member

Hey I was just wondering how come the IP on your computer isn't the same as on your xbox. As you shown the ip that is set on your comp is 192.168.0.2 but the IP on your xbox is 192.168.0.1. Why is that

Thank you
    Max

19. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

Think of it as your name is John and mine is Michael.

If we were both called John and someone called our name, which one of us would answer!?

We need different IP Addresses, just like we all have different names!

The just need to be in the same network

20. hlp4me

hlp4me Member

Let me put it to you this way, when you need to pick up the phone and call your friends, you don't pick up and dial your home number, do you get the picture now. You need to look into IP address and find out what they mean.