1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FTP wont work after XP Service Pack 2 install

Discussion in 'Xbox - General discussion' started by L33, Sep 13, 2004.

1. L33

L33 Member

Hello,

I have been using FlashFXP to connect to both my laptop and desktop PCs for months now with no problems what so ever. I use a crossover cable and no hub / router and have always had the correct settings for this to work perfectly, which it has.

A few days ago I put XP Service Pack 2 on both machines. Now on my laptop FlashFXP gives and unknown error message (code 10119 or similar) and will not connect. On the desktop it tries to connect, says it has then times out.

I turned off the crappy XP firewall, made sure the network settings were correct (on PCs and xbox) and still got the same errors. In fact it's not just FlashFXP having difficulty, XB Soundtrack Editor and XB Gamesave Manager will not connect either.

I do remember seeing a Keiro (my firewall) error message onm boot up after the SP2 install, saying something bad about my sockets. How do I change socket settings? Should I install new NIC drivers as it seems to be working fine apart from this.

This is really confusing as it was all working perfectly a few days ago. I've since uninstalled service pack 2 on the laptop but the problem still persists. I also took Keiro off to see if that would make a difference. It never.

It's really strange because I can ping my xbox from my both machines, the network connection icon shows an open connection and Avalaunch shows my IP in the conrner. So why wont this work? WTF has SP2 done?

The only time I got it to work since was on my desktop. I rolled the os back to before the SP2 install but then my machine wouldn't boot normally to XP so I used "safe mode with networking". This worked and would let me use FlashFXP. As I glad as I was it worked I simply cant have a machine that I can only use in safe mode. I need it for more than just FTP'ing to my xbox. I've since rolled it forward again.

Please help as I'm on the verge of breaking something! I have searched far and wide for a solution to this but have had no luck. I usually prefer to solve my own problems but this has got me stumped.

Thanks

Lee

2. mess1

mess1 Regular member

This is a firewall problem. You have NOT disabled it correctly. If you can ping, that means your network connection is fine. New NIC drivers will NOT help.

Start -> Settings -> Control Panel -> Security Center -> Windows Firewall -> Off -> OK

or

Start -> Settings -> Control Panel -> Security Center -> Windows Firewall -> Exceptions -> Add Port

Name: FTP
    Port Number: 21

OK -> OK

3. Achilles3

Achilles3 Guest

I posted a similar post on another forum about whether I should install SP2 or not since I'm using SP1 at the moment. Some people advised me not to just yet since SP2 has a load of bugs which make it incompatible with some programs. Good thing that I listened and am waiting for the final fix. By the way, if what mess1 had suggested did not work, you can always do a system restore.

4. L33

L33 Member

5. darvinham

darvinham Member

Hi L33

I've exactly the same prob as you do except that I can't ping my xbox!
    I tried to access the links you give but it seems that this forum is fusking them up so can you send them to my email adress: darvinham[at]altern.org

Thanks in advance

PS: It'ld be even better if you could tell me exactly what you did to make it work again ;)

6. lococo72

lococo72 Member

hello there
    i have the same exact problem but i still couldnt fix it yet
    those links posted are dead
    would u please send me a email with those links or what u did even better to my email lococo72@gmail.com
    thank u

7. darvinham

darvinham Member

Hmm seems like I know what's wrong.

It's cause my lan is searching for the "adress to route" (there's an icon in the task bar with a moving gold square between the 2 computers) right click on your lan, disable it then re-enable it and it'll work, at least it worked for me but it's sure not a definitive fix ;(

8. L33

L33 Member

I fixed it using Google and the M$ support site!

Bacially, you just need to add things to the exception lists in the XP firewall.

The amount of topics on this on the net is outstanding, you shouldn't have trouble finding the info you need.

Sorry I can't help more but I'm moving house right now and I'm busy busy busy!

L££

9. lococo72

lococo72 Member

hey l33
    thank for your valuable help
    if you can be more specific we will appreciate that
    i hope you are not that busy to help us

10. akamurph

akamurph Member