1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Full Guide to Gamecube Backup/Booting

Discussion in 'Nintendo Gamecube - General discussion' started by Icemonkey, Dec 12, 2003.

1. Satanguy

Satanguy Member

Quick question, I can't seem to find a straight answer for this. If I remove the garbage data from the iso and burn to mini dvd will it still boot ? would be nice to get a few games on one mini. I use softmod method.

2. rkmdisu

rkmdisu Member

I installed a Xeno chip on my GC and someone suggested that I use DOLStream and NGCDEV Ripper on my computer but no PSO on the console. As far as I know, Xeno chip's sole purpose is to be able to play burned games only, which of course I was able to successfully play 3 downloaded games from the internet. I tried to connect the GC and my computer using the said programs and I was told I don't have to boot anything on the GC side, just to boot it. I tried using a hub or a router in between(I used straight cables) and all the right settings but I can't get my computer to link with the GC. Is this because the Xeno chip doesn't have the capability to link my GC to the computer? If so, what are these PSO/Animal Crossing loaders? Can I use any of them to replace the PSO1&2? Any help is greatly appreciated.

3. crzyfl

crzyfl Member

Why do you want to connect to a pc? Usually the purposes for doing this are
    a) Stream games to GC
    b) Rip games to PC

since you don't need to do a) as you have a hardmod then I will assume you want to do b). If the XenoGC supports booting of dols from a ISO9001DVDR then you are in luck as you could just burn an appropriate bios to a disc, boot it and stream some games to PC!

About the Hub, the most trouble free way to connect GC and PC is with a crossover cable. Hubs and routers always spell trouble.

4. rkmdisu

rkmdisu Member

again, thanks for the reply crzyfl.
    yes, I intend to do option b plus i'm intrigued with all these GC to PC transfer.
    the reason i'm using a hub or router is my crossover cable is short, i'm just using whatever i have at home so i don't have to pay anything extra, but if this is going to give me a big hassle then i will buy the crossover cable at a later part.

"If the XenoGC supports booting of dols from a ISO9001DVDR then you are in luck as you could just burn an appropriate bios to a disc"

if you don't mind elaborating this by giving me the step-by-step instruction and programs involved, i will praise you... =)
    i just recently got involved with this Gamecube cause i already have my ps2 and xbox modded, i thought i'd never be interested in modding my GC. well, i got bored so here i am.

5. crzyfl

crzyfl Member

Use Nero to burn an ISO9001 compliant DVDR with strict rules. On this DVDR in the root DIR put the GCoS bios which has PSO in it's name.
    Get the files from 'mod that cube'.
    Try booting this disc.
    if that works get back to me and I will help you resolve IPs and network issues.

6. rkmdisu

rkmdisu Member

sorry, i'm lost...

"GCoS bios which has PSO in it's name"

what's GCOS and it's purpose? do i run this on the computer or on the GC side?

7. crzyfl

crzyfl Member

Burn it to a disc to boot in the GC. It is a *.dol file...program for the GC

8. crzyfl

crzyfl Member

GCoS is like a OS for the GC which allows you to do lots of cool stuff, just put the 'GCoS 1.5 (PSO).dol' file onto the disc

9. rkmdisu

rkmdisu Member

I used NGCDEV Ripper instead(after some reading), burning onto the disc now. Thanks.

10. rkmdisu

rkmdisu Member

NGCDEV Ripper didn't work, GC just freezes to the logo.
    I burned GCOS 1.5 (PSO) dol file using the technique by xboxmodder999 at http://www.tehskeen.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1216 but when i boot the mini-dvdr, it just shows the regular gc menu. am i suppose to see something else?

11. crzyfl

crzyfl Member

That means that you cannot boot dols directly from disc.
    I think there is a way to boot dols but you have to follow the GC-Linux (www.gc-linux.org) method of creating a homebrew disc. If that dosen't work, sorry (the XenoGC is the budget GCchip)

12. dg0896

dg0896 Guest

You cannot backup gamecube games, the gamecube won't play them.

13. crzyfl

crzyfl Member

dg0896 Did you read any of the posts on this thread?
    a) You can backup GC games
    b) The Gamecube can play them
    c) You are a fool

I have over 100 backups all of which play beautifully
    Have fun spending all your cash on cut games, see ya, bye

14. rkmdisu

rkmdisu Member

thanks crzyfl, i tried not to flame him.

15. ChoujiJ

ChoujiJ Guest

Just go to http://modthatcube.pxn-os.org/ for all your ripping needs.

They list a ripper called GCOM. If your modchip lets you browse the contents of the DVD inserted in your cube much like Viper's do, than you can burn the GCOM (A DOL file) to a DVD and run it. Once it's running it lets you log into your GC to rip whatever game you insert afterward. Only thing you'll need is a broadband adaptor.

~Jason

16. rkmdisu

rkmdisu Member

Isn't there a way to cut the regular dvdr to mini? Like using a glass cutter?

17. crzyfl

crzyfl Member

Just buy mini DVDR!
    You could try it but you have to not cut any data parts and at the same time make the DVDR fit into the GC.
    Probably more advisable to just take the cover off or splash out on a replacement case.

18. ps2rocks

ps2rocks Member

Okay, I just got a BBA at gamestop, and PSO is on the way. All i need to know is the easiest, most successfull way to play backup games on NGC without getting a mod chip. I have a crossover cable, and i also have regular cat5 cables with a hub if needed. I started reading through this thread at the very beginning and then noticed it was 2004 and way outdated so can someone fill me in briefly?

19. IreallyDK

IreallyDK Guest

Does any1 no where i can get GC ROMs for "backup"...

I'm having trouble finding Zelda the Wind-Waker.

(\_(\
    (*.*)
    (")oo(")

20. Solecist

Solecist Guest

Hum..use Emule. search GCN or NGC or simply Zelda - wind Waker