1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Full Guide to Gamecube Backup/Booting

Discussion in 'Nintendo Gamecube - General discussion' started by Icemonkey, Dec 12, 2003.

1. Civilian

Civilian Member

tresselw,

I feel your pain...

I have had many many many issues with the loaders each ending with a frozen screen. I have had more success when you alter the rate at which the data is being sent over to the GC. In your loader of choice make sure to add a delay of at least 10(ms) and the recommended frequency seems to be 16(packets). This may help, but if your system acts like mine it will only start to take you into the game and then freeze. I have also read that after you have a successful boot of the loader try removing your memory card, this one hasn't helped me, but I thought I would pass on the hint...

Best of luck and be sure to report and success so the rest of us can one day play along...

Civilian

2. tresselw

tresselw Member

Ok....well I figured out what I was doing wrong and guess what...the GC connects right away to the pc and streams the game. Now the problem I have is that both of the games I started to play froze. Blitz 2003 froze as it started to load the 2nd quarter of my game, and then I tried to play a PAL game and it froze as it began to load the intro menu (yet after the intro advertising screens). I do not know if this is because of PAL, but either way, if someone knows how to solve either problem, please let me know.

Now, on how to get the games to stream...I use a loader called Phoenix. Nice looking GUI, so that alone should help people. To let everyone know before they start posting questions, you only need to work on the loader tab. Browse to the location of your DOL file from PSUL or PSOLoad, then browse for your GC iso. Then to get the loader ready for PSO, just click the play button next to your image, NOT THE DSO. This will bring up a DOS window and say something like waiting for connection. Boot up the ole PSO and it will connect to your PC, download the bootable, and show up on the TV. Push start and wait til the game starts.

Have fun...but please remember to help me on my problem too!

Don't know if I can post links for this proggie, but here it is...MODS: msg me to let me know if I was wrong to do this, I do not know =(
    http://www.maxconsole.com/?mode=gotodownload&downloadid=414

3. shank69ox

shank69ox Regular member

I do not remember if you can post links or not, but thanks for it anyway man. I have been using The damn command prompt.

4. Civilian

Civilian Member

tresselw,

Did you use any additional settings? What was the difference that made it work for you this time as I thought you have been using Phoenix all along?

As far as PAL games are concerned you won't be able to play them on a NTSC GC, they may load but it will look as though the vertical sync is off since the frame rate is different by 5 fps.

Thanks for the link, I don't think they mind any links...

Civilian

5. tresselw

tresselw Member

I had been starting the loader by pressing the play button next to the DOL, instead of the .iso. This allowed it to work, go figure =P

6. adbored

adbored Guest

Can someone tell me the settings for the LAN connection. I used to be able to connect and get it to start ripping (it would freeze but anyway), and I got Pong to load. When I try to load any bigger ISOs, it freezes after sending some dots. Usually it shows a 'C' followed by a couple dots, then another 'C' and stops. I messed with the settings for the connection (Duplex and all that), and now I can't get it to do anything. I probably should have written down the original working settings, but I didn't. I'm using 10megabits per second and full duplex, but I can't remember what the other settings are supposed to be. (Assuming it makes a difference...)

7. SkySurfer

SkySurfer Member

I have the same problem. Some games freeze during the upload. I've tried different settings, but can't seem to get them to work. Luigi's Mansion and Viewtiful Joe work fine. I'm using the Paradox game server. Does anybody have a list of working Delay/Frequency/Cache settings?

8. aquamantq

aquamantq Member

hi i just got all the equipment to try using the homebrew. when i change my ip address i lose internet functionality, which kinda makes sense to me. right now im connecting my pc and the gc thru a hub/router and then i tried to use phoenix so that i can keep my ip (allowing me to upload to the gc, and use my comp on the net) but im still having trouble getting the gc to respond to my computer. i've read tons of posts but i cant figure out why it isnt working :/ any idea of what i am doing wrong??

9. hvz

hvz Guest

So, may i resume.

I need a broadband adpater, a rj45 cable (duh!), a GC, PPSO original disc, a disc server and a good pc-gc configuration

I'm willing to try these settings but i'm just wondering what is a 10/100 switch? and btw, will i be able to play ANY game released on the net or iso made by myself? and are the games playable or barely? I just wantedx to know before investing ~100$...

10. ksaturn

ksaturn Member

aquamantq:
    I'm in a similar boat to you. I just got a titanium version cube, a used bba, and pso. I cannot get the gc to communicate with my PC. I've tried 2 PC's and 3 OS's. What it's seeming to me unless I've missed something is that the newer titanium GC's may have done something to block this. I really don't know. I've done everything exactly as described. I first tried on Win98 then upgraded to 2000 then XP. Just to see if it was the OS. Then I tried another computer. I had a friend take my BBA home and try it on his GC and the BBA worked fine. Anyone have any ideas. The titanium GC is less then a month I could always take it back and downgrade lol. Thanks in advance to any help.

11. ksaturn

ksaturn Member

UPDATE:
    It's not the GC. My GC BBA and his PC worked fine so who knows must be two tempormental PC's :). I'll figure it out eventually.

12. kyle1528

kyle1528 Guest

ok first off here are my specs on my pc:
    1.4 loader
    psul 1.1
    windows xp prof

GC:
    broadband adapter
    pso disc

Ok here is my problem ive set up the gamecube and my ethernet card to corresponding settings correctly adn it still doesnt seem to connect. Also under network connections it recognizes my cable as disconnected to the gamecube even when it is not, i suspect this may be the problem. Has anyone gotten this to work under xp done something diffrent then discribed in this forum?

thx for all the help in advanced

13. ksaturn

ksaturn Member

kyle1528:
    I've already got your solution and you'll love me. Instead of a standard cat5 ethernet cable go to say Radio Shack and buy a cat5 crossover cable. I got a 10' length for $9.99. See if you go GC to PC you need the crossover cable. If you're going GC to Router to PC then the normal cable is fine. Trust me on this one. I posted numerous times and my whole problem was a crossover cable. Good luck and let me know how it goes.

Saturn

14. kyle1528

kyle1528 Guest

thx man ya i cant believe i didnt think about that well ill give it a try thx for the help

15. icegod

icegod Guest

Hey, I'm very new so excuus me if is say something stupid. I Have some questions,
    -How do you make a backup of your Gamecube game?
    -If you have a copy of your gamecube disc, and you burn it, and you try to boot it with Action replay or import loader, wont that help?
    -And last for how many percent games does this phantasy star way works?

16. ksaturn

ksaturn Member

icecold>
    First Read This Whole Forum It Explains Most Your Questions.
    -How do you make a backup of your Gamecube game?
    With A Program Running On Your Computer While Networked Together With Your GC. Read The Forum It's Further Explained.
    -If you have a copy of your gamecube disc, and you burn it, and you try to boot it with Action replay or import loader, wont that help?
    No It Won't Help. A Direct Copy Of Your GameCube Game Is Missing The BarCode. So It Does You No Good. Many Have Tried Many Have Failed.
    -And last for how many percent games does this phantasy star way works?
    100% So Far For Me And I've Done Well Into The 100's Of Games. I Hear Rumors It Don't Work With Some Games. My Suggestion Is To Use One Loader And If It Don't Work Try Another.

Hope This Helps If Not ReRead The Entire Forum!!!

17. ksaturn

ksaturn Member

To Anyone Posting Here,

We Don't Mind Stupid Questions.
    We Just Mind Questions Being Asked Over and Over That's All Ready Been Answered. Just Because You're Too Lazy To Read The Whole Post Doesn't Mean People Want To Keep ReAnswering The Same Questions.

Saturn
    (There Is No Stupid Question, Just Stupid People)

18. Cyprien

Cyprien Active member

good thing i dont have GC but theres emu for it AND it runs games now... no sound yet... but it can run games you should defently try it... now i can play backups on my pc... www.dolphin-emu.com i tested few games and they work the most fastest game that i get over 100fps is bust a move 3000... quite fun emulator...

19. GCchin

GCchin Member

Does this also works with Modem adapter?

20. merlin001

merlin001 Member

A side note for Windows XP users. You can assign more than 1 IP address to your NIC (only if it's manually assigned, I believe). Just go into your network settings and open up your TCP/IP properties. Click on the advanced button and add the second IP (192.168.1.100) to it, and you won't have to jump from the Internet to the GameCube network.