1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Full Installer File Downloads -- PLEASE!

Discussion in 'AfterDawn feedback & suggestions' started by jhvance, Feb 8, 2013.

1. jhvance

jhvance Member

This might just be a personal irritant for a small portion of AfterDawn users (including me), but since I'm in that group and I haven't found any other suggestion to this effect, I'll take the plunge and start a discussion thread on the above topic.

First, I REALLY HATE stub installers -- small(ish) files that once downloaded and executed, then proceed to go online somewhere unknown (could be legit, could be a bit of malware impersonating a legit software update) to download a much larger file which then begins a new installation process once that download is complete. With some legit companies (Adobe, are you hearing me?) the stub installer calls a 2nd file which can and does include a variety of crapware that I simply do NOT want and will NOT have installed on any of my computers, and although Adobe will usually ask during the installation whether the user agrees to install some additional program that's bundled into the installation file, that's not always the case 100% of the time.

Now, perhaps I'm just an old crank, but long ago in the days of very slow dial-up I began following a simple protocol for common updates of downloading once to a thumb drive, then installing from that thumb drive onto multiple machines instead of wasting a lot of time and tying up the Internet connection/telephone line to process the update sequentially on each machine directly unless required for the OS flavor. It's a habit that I still follow and still find very useful because there's an archival version of the more recent updates which can be handy for re-installing if there's a need to go back to an earlier restore point due to some OS glitch.

So, after scanning over the latest AfterDawn newsletter I was taking the opportunity to download a few updates and discovered that one of them (the Tweaking.com v1.9.7 update) was in fact one of those stub installers -- stopped the download and used the link provided to go directly to the author's website in order to obtain the full version. Problem solved, and maybe not that big a deal but that's not the point -- IMHO AfterDawn shouldn't be linking to some stub installer at all, but to the relevant full installation file for whatever OS flavor might be appropriate which has no (and I mean ZERO) crapware associated with it.

2. ivymike

ivymike Regular member

At least offer us a CHOICE between the Safe Downloads and the regular Downloads......

3. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

So far only a few have got that new thing most seem to be as normal,the ones that are'nt i just stop & go to the authors site or a file hoster to get it whats a few more clicks

4. AgonizingFury

AgonizingFury Member

Agree completely, just sent a message to the "Feedback" page, then noticed something. By distributing Bulk Rename Utility with bloatware, AfterDawn is violating their license with TGRMN software.

Too bad I noticed it after I contacted AfterDawn directly.

I'll be contacting TGRMN software tonight to inform them of AfterDawn's violation of their terms.

5. Mez

Mez Active member

Stubs is the way of the world. I think they are a huge security hazard. Especially for security software. The average user is infected before they can download some security. This computer is a virtual machine. I only use software I can download from behind a bullet-proof shield then install off line when the shields are down. I could care less if it is out of date as long as it works and I am not forced to open my computer to malware.

6. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

Not sure If there was an option before however since the change to the new style AD,when you hit the green rectangular download widget which has safe download in it,then the next page comes up where you'd download the small file that auto downloads whatever,there is now an option to download the actual software your after,just scroll down a bit the link is at the end of the writing of
    Downloading using AfterDawn downloader
    blah blah blah blah.........................................................................
    9 lines of text....................................................................................then you get this at the end
    >>>>>please click here to download the software without the installer<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

can be seen here for vlc download however newer software may not have option
    http://www.afterdawn.com/software/general/download_splash.cfm/vlc