1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Funky blue screen of death using my JVC

Discussion in 'Digital camcorders' started by Oopsla, Jan 7, 2004.

1. Oopsla

Oopsla Guest

Anybody know what causes my JVC GR-DVM90 to not record or playback sometimes. Something funky is going on with it. I can hit play on a tape that I know data is on and I will only get a blue screen or I could start recording stuff and on playback only have a blue screen I do hear the tape playing. This also seems to be intermittent.
    I found that if I am to watch the tape that only shows "blue" because the camera is acting up, I can record for just a second and then switch to play and the data is there. Unfortunately I then have one second of blah amongst my good footage.
    Do you think this is hardware or software related? Any clues or suggestions would be helpful.

(I have also tried winding the tapes and rewinding with no apparent change, I also took them out, tapped em, shut the system off, nothing works but a recording which is a problem cause I never know if it is actually recording)

2. shorty2k

shorty2k Member

sounds like some sort of video ovelay problem or lose wire, i remember when capturing from analogue video, i used to get a blue screen, by touching the video composite wire it would fliker and eventually pick up the siganl. try making sure the cables are connected securely.

tell me how you get on,

oh yes also try using different capture software

3. Oopsla

Oopsla Guest

shorty2k,

Thanks for replying. This is solely within the camera. I have no trouble getting video into the computer once the camera is working correctly.

Cheers!

4. shorty2k

shorty2k Member

so, when say you record some video, right then say you geta blue 'funky' screen, can you still see that footage that you have captured if you transfer the video to your PC or connect direct to your TV?

basically it just may be that the the siganl to your LCD/ viewfinder is malfunctining?

Sorry man that i'm not of much help, here, do still have warrenty on that machine?

5. brimar

brimar Member

hey, sorry to hear that you are having problems JUST LIKE EVERYONE ELSE. http://www.greenspun.com/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg.tcl?msg_id=009ZB5 . go here to see about 500 similar complaints. have you gotten an 04 error code yet? you will. a rep from jvc recently started helping peolple who contact her through e-mail. scroll all the way to the bottom of page to view latest, but read the other posts. it's amazing. i just found that page yesterday. good luck

6. Oopsla

Oopsla Guest

yes I got that error code. I actually fixed that error. Fixed it on my own, very weird. I pressed the 2 long sides of the cassette holder together to allow a snug fit for the tape. and the error disappearred. Very weird.

7. brimar

brimar Member

oopsla, did you happen to check out the link to the "camcorder problem" messages? what do you think? i am emailing the jvc rep tonight. i'll let you know what happens. how long have you had this camcorder? did these problems just start. mine is 3 years old, had problems after a year,basically. again, good luck

8. Oopsla

Oopsla Guest

Brimar,

I certainly did. I got is a pissy match with this JVC rep. I said it was a design flaw she disagreed. (My contention is that the tape carriage has too low a tolerance for normal operation. If you adjust any of the sides of the carriage slightly the tape works or it doesn't. Under normal use the user will invariably extract the tape with two much pressure altering the carriage too far out of spec. giving us the problems we have.)
    She said she'd evaluate my camera for free.
    Whoopie! She doesn't say she'll get it fixed for free and since I believe it to be the carriage there isn't much they could do.
    Thanks,
    Oops

9. brimar

brimar Member

i have contacted her, but she has not gotten back to me yet as it is a weekend. another thing that ticks me off is the fact i bought a 4 year ex-warranty from mack camera, and i sent it to them with a list of problems and they called me to say i spilled a sticky substance on the unit( which was not true) and it would cost 190 dollars to fix. what choice did i have? i had them "fix" it. the same problems occured about 2 months later. still have an unreliable camera to this day.
    brian

Last edited: Jan 17, 2004
  10. Oopsla

Oopsla Guest

Ahhh now you only increased my reluctence to send in the camera. When you talk to her say... Yes I've used a cleaner tape and yes I use only high quality Panasonic tapes. (That part gets me, there is only minute differences between Sony and Panasonic tapes. The truth factor is that a Panasonic tape fits in the carriage a bit differently, at least that is my thinking).
    If you get that eO4 error try lightly squeezing the long sides of the carriage together. A cleaner tape does nothing.
    I hear ya bout high price of repairs. It cost too much for me to ever consider JVC again.
    Above all push the class action suit and bad design (don't say ya heard it from me).