1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Funny noise....

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by badream29, Apr 15, 2007.

1. badream29

badream29 Member

After being on my computer for a few hour's "every now and then"this noise start's.It seem's to be coming near my fan.I have upgraded the graphics card and ram.It's a HP 304w.Any info. would be greatly appreciated.

2. badream29

badream29 Member

Anybody??

3. Ripper

Ripper Active member

I'm not sure, but the with the installation of the new hardware, your power supply might not be keeping up and be straining? What wattage is it?

That was more a shot in the dark then anything..

Have you checked the connections are all right when you installed the hardware? - something may have been knocked.

Also, is the PC getting hotter than before? Is your fan clean of dirt and debris?

4. badream29

badream29 Member

I checked all connection's.It seem's to do it when I play a DVD or game.Fan is clear of debris etc...Someone told me it was my fan going out but I have no idea??

5. badream29

badream29 Member

6. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

there's not much more we can do without more help from yourself, ie we can't open your PC case for you, to listen to the components...

7. Ripper

Ripper Active member

Ditto. ^^

And btw, just becos it happened to be what.. maybe 12 hours or less between a reply, there isn't a need to post "???". I'm not obliged to answer, nor is anyone else and I do happened to have a very busy life (beleive it or not) and I do like my sleep (i'm in the UK).

8. Teadux

Teadux Guest

No worry
    [​IMG]

9. janrocks

janrocks Guest

My psu fan is on the way out too.. It slows down and makes a grinding noise, then picks up again.. Sometimes I give the psu a clout with whatever comes to hand... either it works or it doesn't.

It may be another fan on a graphics card or something.. try stopping it for a second with a finger and see if the noise goes away, otherwise.. other noisy things ..Drives.. harddrives can make strange scratching and knocking noises.. is your HDD light on all the time, or does it go on and off with the noise?

It may be a wire catching on a case fan.. Very common in these days of unnecessary case lights and bling superficial tarting up. I don't see the point in dressing up computers with lots of lights and gauges and fans.. it's a tool.. I like simple, beauty through function machines every time. Plus adding loads of lights and fans just too look good puts more strain on the psu and takes away power from the stuff that actually does things. [/rant off]

Just guessing.. I run a lot of very old hardware, some of it makes very strange noises.

If it isn't affecting performance and you can't track it down then I'd just ignore it.. If it suddenly stops then quickly check to see what isn't running any more. Whatever it is will fail sooner or later and then you will have your culprit.

edit::: re-read your first post.. there is your culprit.. Vibration from your dvd drive. Some older drives (and heavily used ones) can be really noisy on their own.. anything loose in your case will rattle if the vibration frequency is close enough to the resonant frequency of the part concerned. I spent days tracking down a strange rattle, to find it was an overlooked graphics card sitting on top of one of the other units in my rack.. what a numpty...

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2007
  10. Teadux

Teadux Guest

try to buy new glue thing that holds up the cpu cooler

11. janrocks

janrocks Guest

^^^ what do you mean "glue thing"?? can you be less specific?

12. Teadux

Teadux Guest

HAHA sry dude , but whatta F*** do call it=P, it is a paste u put on the cooler

13. janrocks

janrocks Guest

Thermal grease, or cpu thermal compound.. one of the best available is Arctic Silver. http://www.arcticsilver.com/as5.htm ..If you have a solid sticky pad between your cpu and the heatsink then getting rid of it and using this compound will give something like a 20% increase in thermal transfer.. If you ever get cpu overheat alarms (up-down siren noise) then this is the way to go. Good stuff.. used on xbox 360's by people with overheat 3 red lights problems. And by me on any xbox I mod.

14. Teadux

Teadux Guest

Thanks ^^=D

15. badream29

badream29 Member

Thank You guy's..Im gonna try that...Sound's like a similar problam...I just try and ask a answer and some people are a lil rude..