1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Future?

Discussion in 'Safety valve' started by NicHt, Mar 7, 2007.

1. NicHt

NicHt Regular member

I know there have been a few threads like this. But I was just fishing for some advice. I was thing about finishing highschool, (I have average of B?) and going back to Australia and going to University to become a Highschool history teacher, and eventually getting enough education to lecture in University. Alternativley I would want to go to Annapolis and join the marines, get a univeristy education and become an officer, but apparently that comes with serious commitment, like 7 years or something? Lots of benefits though, early retirement, pension... But I sure as hell am not planning on doing anything until I'm 45 or something. I want to be free to do what I want... But anyway... Any advice??

Thanks

2. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

what could you do every day for the rest of your life and not hate?

ah, the future. i'm lost too. no idea what i want to do, so i made physics my major as i figure a degree in that will get me a job anywhere. any advice me, of afterdawn?

i hijacked your thread, nicht. ^.^

3. 8chaos

8chaos Regular member

Its actually six years after you are commissioned an officer. But keep in mind if you go to the academy you are not automatically accepted as an officer. You have to pass a series of tests and also get your college degree while you are there. Talk to a recruiter...just to get general information. I am telling you from personal exp, being in the marine corps is the best thing that happened to me. I got out in 2005. Id go back in a heartbeat, but my situation wont allow it.

Do what your heart tells you to do. Going back to your home in Australia and teaching history will have plenty of rewards also.

But in any case go back to school...the best investment is in your self. Thats something that will last a lifetime.

4. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

@Nicht...well, becoming a marine at age 45 ain't going to happen! I was a combat/surgical corpsman in the marine corps (technically, I was in the navy but attached to the second marines, wore their uniforms etc so I indentify more with the corps than the navy). Anyway, be sure of what you're doing before you go into the marine corps; it's not for everybody and far different from other branches of the military. I can tell you with absolutely certainty that the medical discharge rate from the corps is four or five times higher than the other branches...not from physical injury but from situational depression, in short, they didn't know what they were getting into or went into the corps for the wrong reasons. Like 8chaos, those were some of the best years of my life but while I had to do everything the marines did, my job gave me a special position and my own entourage of body guards (for lack of a better term)...marines take the safety of the medical staff very seriously and I didn't have to put up with the crap that marines do ... in a way, we were the safety valve against abuse. Be careful NicHt, talk to former marines first (NOT RECRUITERS) because again, the corps isn't for everybody!

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 8, 2007
  5. janrocks

janrocks Guest

There is no future, only the now.. embrace it and be happy, for tomorrow we die.

[​IMG]

"So, is she screwing up her grades again? Because she's not the sharpest apple in the barrel."

6. NicHt

NicHt Regular member

Video games?

Thanks for all the advice... I'm probably (Like you all said) going to have to talk to someone other than you guys. My grandfather's an Ex-Marine, but I suppose times have changed since then. And time's might change soon, as in, by the time I want to join the marines, I might not even want to go back to Australia, so that eliminates that option. But I still don't know.

Thanks again.

7. janrocks

janrocks Guest

Personally speaking.. and that is all I can do here, gerry seems to have the right idea. Experience tells over wants every time. Don't rush into something, especially a military something. It may be the best move you ever make, or you could end up having a really bad time or worse..
    Australia.. well it's a great place if you like that kind of thing.. given an option I would be there at the first opportunity, but that only means leaving the depressed and depressing north of England..
    suggestions, well I don't have any really, talk to your family..errmm see what other options there are for work.. take some time off and just bum around a bit, travel, work in bars, see places..Is there anything you ever really wanted to do? do it while you can. My father always said "don't do something because you feel obliged to do it.. do what you want today, and tomorrow will look after itself".. I didn't understand at the time (too young) but now he is long buried I know exactly what he was saying.. all those missed opportunities...
    That probably doesn't help at all.. I suppose what I'm trying to say is.. whatever you do, do it because you want to, not because somebody tells you to, or you feel that you are letting somebody down by doing something different.

8. rihgt682

rihgt682 Regular member

sex with hot models!!! If that kind of job ever exists. As you get older you'll get that no one really have a job that they love. cause having job sucks in first place. you just gotta suck it up like a man in this world.