1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FYI: Some sources for high resolution recordings

Discussion in 'High resolution audio' started by tigre, Oct 15, 2003.

1. tigre

tigre Moderator Staff Member

http://www.digit-life.com/articles2/audiotrak-prodigy71/index.html
    In this article I found some record companies that sell DVD-Video disks containing uncompressed 24/96 stereo audio streams.

No DVD-A/SACD player needed, digital copying possible (-> backup, PC playback, portable use, ...). Thumbs up!

2. Delias

Delias Guest

Check out Acoustic Sounds
    http://www.acousticsounds.com

An excellent source for hi-res recordings: SACD, DVD-A, Vinyl, Heavy Vinyl

Also lots of equipment with meaningful descriptions and reviews.

These guys know what they are doing!

3. A_Klingon

A_Klingon Moderator Staff Member

Tigre -- what a phenominal announcement this is !!! I would not have thought it technically possible and I'm still having a few reservations about it (is it _really_ possible?) But the folks at Hi-Res say this,

The audio specification for DVD-Video discs includes 96kHz/24 bits for stereo programs as well as Dolby Digital or DTS for 5.1 programming (or 2.0 for that matter).

Hmmmm...... this has rather large implications! Sure would make backing up discs a lot simpler and ultra-less expensive than buying dedicated DVD-A authoring software.

I'd really, really, really like to hear Wilke's take on this one !! :)

Brave New Scary-But-Nice-ish World We're Heading Into!

4. tigre

tigre Moderator Staff Member

Definitely. You might have missed this, but I have got the Chesky DVD-Video "Chuck Mangione - The Feeling's Back" from a public library and created some test samples from it for 24/96 vs. 16/44.1 listening test. The samples are here:
    http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?showtopic=13054&
    You can have a look yourself using a wave editor: They are true 24/96, nothing upsampled or similar.

AFAIK there is no free software that is able to create DVD-Video containing 24/96 LPCM audio. There has been a thread at doom9 some months ago, a developer said it wouldn't be much of an effort to code, but it hasn't happened yet.

Extracting audio from 24/96 DVD-V is quite easy though and 1:1 copies (backup) should be, too._X_X_X_X_X_[small]AFTERDAWN FORUM RULES: http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/2487[/small]

Last edited: Oct 16, 2003
  5. wilkes

wilkes Regular member

Yep - stereo audio at 24/96 is indeed possible, and done, on DVD-Video.
    Your biggest problem is that most won't do it as it leaves so little bandwidth for the video component, which is compulsory in this format, even if it's only VideoBlack it must be there.
    You can also do uncompressed surround in DVDV too.
    Again, biggest issue is the bandwidth it all takes up as you are limited to 6.144 MBPS in DVDV for Audio, whereas it's up to 9.6 MBPS in DVDA. Not to mention that DVDA is starting to appear in Car systems, but DVDV never will.
    It's horses for courses, and I'm in favour of anything that promotes hires PCM over the abomination that is DSD.

6. A_Klingon

A_Klingon Moderator Staff Member

And another point .... when you really think about it, an automobile is probably one of the least appropriate places on earth for an audio listening environment (atrocious acoustics, engine/road noise), yet I can understand (I guess) the desireability of maximum 'compatibility' with existing formats.

Still...... will you or I ever (in this life or the next) appreciate 96/24 in the back seat of a station wagon going down Interstate #67? And frankly, would you wanna cart your expensive hi-res dvdas around in the car?

7. wilkes

wilkes Regular member

Makes you wonder why so many producers _always_ take their mixes out to the car? And there's me thinking that the RIAA have got it right and blaming downloads!
    If only the trend towards overcompressing the masters would stop, CD wouldn't be so exhausting to listen to!
    Go check out an old one from 10 years ago. Neil Young's Harvest is a good example. Rip it, and look at the waveform. Now do the same with a modern one, and see how many of the samples are actually "over" 0dBFS.