1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Game Backups

Discussion in 'Suggestions, ideas and feedback' started by Dela, Sep 29, 2002.

1. Dela

Dela Administrator Staff Member

Just a suggestion that could drag a lot more users to your site. If you had a section dedicated to backing up your personally owned psx/ps2/xbox/dreamcast/pc games. Of coarse there would be a lot of work involved in considering that ps2 and xbox games usually come in dvd format now so they're very hard to backup. If you do ever follow up on a suggestion like this I'd love to lend a hand n e time ye need me.

2. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

Thanks, I've considered this seriously, specially for PS2, since PS2 DVD game backups are actually really easy -- AFAIK -- to do, simply image copy of the disc and that's it.

Only aspect that turns me off a little bit is that it would mean wandering in a new territory that we haven't covered previously -- we've tried to stay within digital audio/video and P2P stuff, just to avoid spreading our resources in too wide.

But yeah, I might give it a shot on this week and see how it evolves, if I launch a separate PS2 area.

3. dRD

Done now.

4. VCDjunkie

VCDjunkie Moderator Staff Member

This brings up a good question.. what to do with people who want help bypassing copy protection of PC games?? I was blowing off a little steam about this in the safety valve, here:

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/9043

but all kidding aside, should Afterdawn start a section on PC game copying?

5. dRD

IMHO, PS2 is already out of our range and pushing it further by adding PC game backups to the site, would be yet another push away from our original digital video/audio genre. Maybe one day, when we can actually HIRE people to write news, articles and review software that relates to this area as well.

But as for now, let's keep the PC game backups out of this forum as much as possible.

6. Dela

Dela Administrator Staff Member

I reckon the PC game section would already be covered by CD-R anyway!!!

When it comes to articles, sorry I can't write em for ya but Im just as a rule, too damn lazy + the head on these shoulders is not yet as wise as the one on yours! So i think i'll stick to the forum BUT BACK OFF A LITTLE, 40 "thread has been updated" emails a day now and rising cause people are bringing up old posts!! Ah funny, I was just notified by Windows Messenger that I just got another one!!!

7. dRD

Yes, I admit, the "thread has been updated" emails get annoying. I'm planning to change it so that you will get only ONE notification until you actually visit the thread.