1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Game Clone

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by tbowling, Dec 14, 2004.

1. tbowling

tbowling Member

There is a new software about to hit the market tomorrow called Game Clone. They said that they will copy the game to your HD and you can play it with out the CD hmmmmm.. They said that it will copy 50% more than Games X Copy. hmmmm... Any input from anybody on this?

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

If it copies 50% more gomes that games XCopy that means it'll only copy 75% of the games out there. The newer protections out there are getting extremely tough. Games XCopy was troublesome and lacking from the get go and could only hope to compare to the premier software packages already out there.

If you're going to invest money in duplication software you can do no better than BlindWrite, Alcohol 120% or CloneCD, all of which are established leaders in the field. These three apps can do everything Game Clone promises and more.

Granted my view is very skewed against other apps but it's founded in my extremely positive and successful experience with the established apps. Game Clone may very well become a serious contender but I personally wouldn't bet on it :)

Last edited: Dec 14, 2004
  3. tbowling

tbowling Member

I think there is one problem for me though. I hvae a NEC DVD burner, and I don't think that some of those softwares support the burner I have (NEC-DVD 2500). I saw that in one of your ealier posts with one another person.

4. Nephilim

The support that you're referring to has nothing to do with the software - it has to do with the capabilities of the drive itself.

In order to make working copies of games the drive must be able to write EFM correctly. Unlike burning DVDs where the protection is stripped out, burning protected PC games involves having to read the protection then write it back to the disc - both of which need to be done very accurately. Not all burners are able to write the protections accurately enough to make a working copy......

When you try to run a protected game it needs to perform a "handshake" of sorts between the disc and the game on your hard drive to verify that the disc is legitimate. If the protection is written back to the disc accurately enough it'll pass the handshake and you have what's known as a "working" copy. If the copy is less than perfect the handshake will fail because the copy protection will detect that there's something fishy with the copy. In that case you can use emulation tools which basically help the disc pass the handshake process. So in essence Game Clone offers nothing the others do (and do quite well)

For instance, Alcohol 120% can add RPMS to the disc which will allow you to run a less than perfect copy made with your NEC and also has the ability to mount your games in a virtual drive to run them off your drive just as Game Clone offers :)

5. Nephilim

Do you have a link to the site? I just googled Game Clone and the closet I found was DVDWizard Pro's site. If it has anything to do with DVD Wizard Pro you should avoid it like the plague. DVD Wizard Pro was a horrendously bad collection of ripped off freeware that barely worked and the company was about as shady as it gets.

6. tbowling

tbowling Member

7. geestar20

geestar20 Active member

"handshake"...I like that word, I think Im gonna use it..thats if you have some sorta patent on it :)

8. geestar20

geestar20 Active member

This is what I might need since I got that "LOTR Battle for Middle Earth" thats a dvd-rom based game.

Very interesting..Im gonna have to give app. a whirl.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2004
  9. Nephilim

I don't know fellas. There isn't even a trial version from what I could tell. Here's from their site:

Game Clone is made by Barking Fish Inc which means if it sucks you just threw away $30. Barking Fish, Inc. doesn't even show up within the first ten pages of a google search which raises another red flag for me. Any respectable software maker with a "no return" policy offers a trial version for their software so you can determine if it's worth the money.

I know I sound like a complete pessimist but successfully defeating these new copy protections is very difficult and requires software from companies that know what they're doing. I highly doubt that an apparently "fly by night" outfit like Barking Fish Inc. is going to even "kind of" compare to the established leaders. The market is chock full of wannabes that make big claims but fail to deliver.

10. tbowling

tbowling Member

I thought about that as well. They said that they have a 14 day return policy. That's what they said at least. I guess I'm going to stick with what you guy recommend, since you've been using it for so long. Just gotta start using it now.

11. Nephilim

Some of those outfits make it near impossible to get a refund. A while back we had a huge thread concerning DVD Wizard Pro where folks were having a hell of a time getting their money back.

We're all here at your service if you need help :)

12. geestar20

geestar20 Active member

That was the first question I mentioned to my self..is there going to be a trial version. And of course im not going to dish out any money without viewing it first.

So who knows...
    I'll give it a couple of weeks or so and see if they have any reviews or trial versions of this product.

And you know me -Nephilim-, I like to try new things to F*%$k up my computer :)

13. Nephilim

Ha! We need to break that habit!

14. geestar20

geestar20 Active member

It's for the sake of science though [​IMG]

15. tbowling

tbowling Member

HAHAHAHHAHA. I just want to be able to let my midgets play their games on their systems. I would come here and read a lot of the msgs, but never really tried to use the tools. Then I bought my children Nascar 04 a while ago (4 boxes of the same thing). I linked their machines together so that they can race each other. 2 months in, CD's were scratched and on the floor. I was p!@#ssed at them, but they are kids. Made a decision that I would not fork over $$ like that for multiple games again. I would prefer to give them a copy and keep the master.

16. tbowling

tbowling Member

It's time for me to build my ultimate Game machine, and I hvae and idea on what I will build. I have 2 questions though

1. Would you still get a CD Burner with a DVD Burners
    2. If so, what CD Burner do you guys recommend.

17. Nephilim

My personal setup includes a Lite-On 166S DVD-ROM for all my ripping chores, a Plextor PX-708A for DVD burning and a Plextor Premium for backing up games.

If you want the absolute best CD burner for backing up games then the Plextor Premium is it. It costs more than other drives but is truly worth the money. I've used mine to breeze through all the latest protections with ease. It also has a special write method for writing SecuROM topology that's supported through BW5 and BW5 Tweaker. It goes for around $79 but if that's a little too rich for you the Lite-On 52327S and Asus 5232AS are both very capable drives that go for around $30.

Another option would be to get a Plextor PX-708A or 712A DVD burner since they're both good at backing up games as well. I've backed up the latest SafeDisc 3.20.022 with my 708A and BW 4.57 :)

Last edited: Dec 15, 2004
  18. RedAnt

RedAnt Regular member

tbowling I have had a lot of success backing up most of my PC Games with Alcohol 120% and my Lite-On DVD-RW.

19. Nephilim

Thanks RedAnt :)

I was remiss in not mentioning the Lite-On 4xx and 8xx series DVD burners which good at protections as well.

20. tbowling

tbowling Member

Cool, I see some Lite-On's at very good prices.