1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Game Recommendations Needed

Discussion in 'Windows - Games' started by dougal79, Aug 8, 2010.

1. dougal79

dougal79 Regular member

I'm fed up playing the same old games on the PC.
    So i would appreciate some suggestions from you guys :)

Only trouble is, i'm still using an AGP card (ATI Sapphire HD 3650 512MB AGP).
    I've also only got 1GB ram, but will be getting another 1GB soon.
    Considering the AGP card & 1GB of ram i can still play most games on medium to high settings.

Games i've been playing the last few months:

Team Fortress 2
    Half Life 2, Episode 1 & 2 & Lost Coast
    Left 4 Dead
    Pro Evolution Soccer 2010
    Worms Armageddon New Edition
    Civilization 4
    Sim City 4 Deluxe
    Fallout 3
    The Settlers 5 - Heritage Of Kings
    Rome Total War

I just bought STALKER Call Of Pripyat & Tom Clancy's H.A.W.X but haven't tried them out yet.

Current PC Specs:

Windows XP Pro 2002 SP3
    Intel Pentium 4 HT @ 2.80 GHz (Max CPU Speed - 3066 MHz) - According to SiW
    1GB SDRAM DDR PC3200 (200 MHz)
    Shuttle Inc FB65 Motherboard
    ATI Sapphire HD 3650 512MB AGP
    40GB HDD (Windows drive)
    80GB HDD (Where only my games are installed)
    160GB HDD (Stores all my music, films, games etc)

Any suggestions/recommendations are welcome.

Thanks guys d-_-b

2. Ripper

Ripper Active member

A few games I've played lately are the Dragon Age series, Battlefield Bad Company 2, Splinter Cell: Conviction and Starcraft 2 - not sure if you'd be able to run them all but worth checking out.

The Age of Empires 3 series are good fun too if you like RTS games (like Civ).

3. dougal79

dougal79 Regular member

Ok i watched a few trailers & read some reviews for the games you suggested & here's what i think:

Dragon Age - Sounds ok, a bit like the Guild Wars series which i kinda liked but ended up losing the disks due to moving house. :/

Battlefield Bad Company 2 - Don't know how this game slipped through my radar :eek: lol
    Similarities to the COD series & love the destructive enviroments ^.^

Splinter Cell: Conviction - Played & completed every Splinter Cell game apart from this one & tbh don't think i'll bother with this.

Starcraft 2 - Another game i can't believe i missed.
    Loved the Dawn Of War series & this looks pretty similar & i enjoy playing RTS games.

Checked to see if my PC can play these games using System Requirements Lab & Dragon Age is unplayable as it says i need a Core 2 CPU @ 1.4 GHz :(
    So i think i'll be getting Battlefield Bad Company 2 (after i get another 1GB ram as it needs 2GB minimum & overclock the CPU) & StarCraft II ^.^

Cheers mate :)

Any more suggestions guys ?

Last edited: Aug 9, 2010
  4. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

Assuming these can run on your machine

Far cry 2 - not for everyone as it is quite repetitive.
    Not that i've been online with it on the 360 i would suspect lag would be an issue as offline it is very glitchy if you ever played socom 2 on a PS2 You'll know what i mean however some of those glitches are funny as,one in particular had me swimming on land when i should've died i even have it on video..lol..

just cause 2 - you'll like this one me thinks bloody hilarious watching the trailers check it out words can't do it justice & just the moves you can do totally unreal

I was going to suggest move your pagefile to your slave drive i don't think it would be any good since you have games installed there,personally i'd move them to a partition beside C then create a 3.3gb partition any where on the slave hdd set the pagefile to 3.1gb but that's me,as for more ram yeah man ! that extra 1gb will make a huge diff not so much in speed but being able to run more progs without that laggy effect or stalling or whatever you want to call it

5. Ripper

Ripper Active member

Fair enough. Dragon Age is okay but I too have played similar games and it's not as fun without the online element really (although the content in DA etc is better than games like WoW). Anyway I hadn't checked so sorry for the null suggestion. Splinter Cell: Conviction I actually haven't finished yet - it's a bit gimmicky and I got bored.

Good luck with Battlefield and Starcraft II! Battlefield is a good single player but I completed it on Normal (or w/e it is) with relative ease, so will probably re-play it at some point. Not really given multiplayer much time as FPS games aren't my thing. Starcraft II is really good so far. I didn't finish off the previous Starcraft campaigns (on my to-do list), but it's been really good so far. And of course multiplayer is good if you like that element.

6. ps3lvanub

ps3lvanub Regular member

Also to add to that get Oblivion and get some mods on it. You will be amazed. If only that Crytek mod was still available... Mods: www.tesnexus.com

7. dougal79

dougal79 Regular member

Ok, i had Far Cry 2 for the Xbox 360 & loved it !!!
    Only managed to get about halfway though as i ended up selling it.
    I always thought about getting it for PC but never did.
    I seen it a few weeks ago in my local Gamestation store pre-owned for £2.99 :eek:

But according to System Requirements Lab my CPU fails on speed as it needs a Pentium 4 @ 3.2 GHz.

As for Just Cause 2 i fail on quite a few things. :(

[​IMG]

As for the Pagefile i'm not too sure how to go about this.
    I can't move my games from D:\ to C:\ because my games come to 26GB & i only have 27GB frr space on C:\ & i have more games to install lol.

Would creating a new partition on D:\ for the Pagefile work ?
    Would it make a difference in speed ?

Cheers :)

8. dougal79

dougal79 Regular member

@Ripper.

It's cool mate i'll definitely get Battlefield Bad Company 2 & Starcraft 2 :)
    I prefer to play games, especially FPS's on single player anyway.

@ps3lvanub

I had Oblivion a couple of years back, but my PC wasn't capable of playing it :/
    Just hope this rig is capable of playing it kind of half decent.

What's this Crytek Mod you mention mate ?
    I had tons of mods a while back for Oblivion but ended up deleting them.
    Think i've still got them backed up on disk tho.

Cheers guys

9. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

Would only make a difference when not gaming as the games will be reading & writing at the same time as pagefile is being accessed by the OS or vice versa best forget i mentioned it...lol.. besides it'd be a hassle to reinstall all the games the extra ram is a better option at this point & if you have IDE drives moving the pf to a slave IDE on the same ide cable may infact slow performance down

Last edited: Aug 10, 2010
  10. ps3lvanub

ps3lvanub Regular member

Oblivion runs rather smoothely on many budget video cards these days and the Crytek mod was a mod which forced Oblivion to run the Crysis engine which was awesome. Crytek then threw a bitch fit about it and it was never publicly released. Shame, really...

EDIT: Just got Rome Total War. Oldish game but very good and doesn't take much to run.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2010
  11. minutehero

minutehero Member

1.FABLE

2.oblivion

3.neverwinter nights 2

4.battlefield 2

5.dynasty warriors 4 and 6 , but 6 may need a better pc but its worth a try.

6.mount and blade warband

12. gracyj

gracyj Member

You can play Age of Empires its good.

13. mike.m

mike.m Regular member

Oblivion was an amazing game and still is. Better yet, just upgrade your PC and get the new Elder Scrolls game Skyrim (November, 11, 2011). This is going to be the first game I've ever pre-ordered, can't wait. Mass Effect is another Choice. ME2 if your PC can play it. Diablo 3 might be out before the end of this year.

14. dougal79

dougal79 Regular member

@minutehero - i downloaded & played Fable & am currently half way through it.
    Pretty good game & i like the way your character can be good or evil & everything in game reflects this.
    I also got Neverwinter Nights Diamond Edition but haven't played it yet.
    Anyone know if it's any good ?

I'm going to build a new PC so i can play the new Elder Scrolls game.
    Also just downloaded Dead Space, Bully & NFS: Hot Pursuit.
    So these will keep me quite busy while i build a new rig ;)

Cheers guys

15. Methalin

Methalin Member

Neverwinter Nights is definitely good... and if you like the good/evil aspect of Fable, you should definitely take a look at Dragon Age (and the sequel which has just come out), along with Mass Effect as another poster suggested. These have complex moral sort of issues in their quests, and lines of good/evil which are really intriguing! Mass Effect is sci-fi, mind, not traditional fantasy...

While you've still got your current underpowered rig, another suggestion I didn't see mentioned is Torchlight. It's like a more polished Diablo, and should run on a low powered PC, but actually looks pretty good (there's a good review of it here, which calls it "surprisingly gripping", if you're interested).

Maybe something to dip into before Diablo 3 comes out and you have your new PC :)

16. xboxdvl2

xboxdvl2 Regular member

ive been playing age of empires 3 and warcraft 3.i know the old gta games(3,sa,vice city) will run on older pcs.Just about completed need for speed:hot pursuit that has amazing graphics.tryed fifa 11 on ps3 havnt tryed pc version.its great on ps3 not sure what specs you'd need for pc version.my brother said starcraft 2 was too easy on single player.streetfighter 4 was a big letdown for me pc version response is laggy.apparently resident evil 5 is good.theres a huge range of FPS out there.