1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gameboy player?

Discussion in 'Nintendo Gamecube - General discussion' started by StoneRain, Sep 30, 2004.

1. StoneRain

StoneRain Member

So I too saw the PSO 1&2 Plus in the stores recently and picked it up for 30$. I was exstatic, till I found out that the Plus version doesn't work the same as the original.
    Then I got to thinking... I also own a gameboy flash cart. Which has a usb cable and you can load backups, homebrews, and videos to the card or if they are small enough straight to the GBA. So I bought the Gameboy Player thinking maybe since it has the same connection as the GBA, I could hook up my USB cable, and some how access the other features of the GC. (broadband adapter, mini dvd drive, GC processing) Has anyone looked into writing a GBA rom that could be loaded to either a flash cart or the GBP RAM, to load or access other features of the GC?

2. MistaNeat

MistaNeat Member

That is an interesting idea...I wonder if it would work.

3. Hogmyster

Hogmyster Member

if you have the gameboy player (the one that mounts under the gamecube) you can't access the broadband adapter at the same time... they've taken that measure as i believe because it REALLY is not a necessity.

so as for making a GBA Rom take advantage of the bba i dont think that'll happen...

and it isnt a mini-dvd drive, its a proprietary drive. i'm not even sure it CAN read mini dvd-r's, i'm sure someone else can say for sure though. would be neat to find out :)

4. StoneRain

StoneRain Member

I dont know if I would say it is not nessisary. I have been waiting for Nintendo to come out with a ligit product that will let me use the gameboy player to play multiplayer GBA games online with the BBA. I think that would be cool as #$%&. I think simple IRC protocols would be sufficient for meeting people to play games and launching play.

So lets think about this. how is the GB player connected? Through the high speed port. I think it is probably the same port that the Panisonic cube uses (just a guess). The other method could be that, the GBP is just the guts of a GBA and an interface that connects directly to things like, sound, video, controler hardware, by passing all of the GC processing. I hate to say it but this is less than likely. I think the GBP is just a hardware Emu.

I have heard rumor that there is a 3rd party gameboy adapter that runs through the memory card slot where this is actually possible... just a rumor though.

5. Hogmyster

Hogmyster Member

not a rumor, its true... i think its made by the same people that make the action replay thing, i seen it on the shelves at circuit city...

but like i said before its not NECESSARY ... they'd have to develop new gameboy advance stuff in order to be able to take advantage of the bba ... but i do agree it'd be cool as hell! ;)

as for what it is, i'm not sure, i don't even want to begin speculating if its the guts of a gba - the screen or if its actually a hardware emu... no idea