1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gamecube LASER tweak

Discussion in 'Nintendo Gamecube - General discussion' started by speedi, Dec 24, 2004.

1. Ize

Ize Regular member

.. should be in the 190ohms range man!!

Mario party, paper and the like all work great on full sized DVD+R

2. Gunout

Gunout Member

i mean it was 590 when i checked.

i set it to 218 and now everything runs perfect
    (i use dvd+r)

3. Ize

Ize Regular member

the fix is no doubt the DVD+R

4. IheartGC

IheartGC Member

Hi i am having the same disk read error at mentioned in this topic. It seems simple enough to fix it. But i dotn know how to get to the part to fix. i dont know how to take apart my gamecube. can anyone tell me how or is there a place that has pictures?

5. Gunout

Gunout Member

6. charis_k

charis_k Member

Hello,

I have a question for the GC gurus :)

My PAL dol 001 GC vipered/bios v1.2
    with my drive dated(created) on 2001/06/08(61),
    on princo write once mini-r burned on LG4163B @ 2x

gives me DRE, ON game or on menu after 10 to 50 minutes with POT from 160-400 Ohm(NOT on all games;almost all.Zelda 4 swords i.e. or SC2 was ok).

I had qoob also on my other GC (SAME MEDIA/BURNER/SPEED/POT) with no probs.I couldn't believe viper was useless, so I installed to the ABOVE Vipered system my other GC drive, DATED on 2002/08/23(61) with pot 205.
    So...

JUST THE DRIVE WAS the cause of DREs. I have to mension that the old drive is out of the brand new box for 2 weeks!! The other that works with no DREs is over-used for 5 months now.

Is the only way to work with the other drive with no DREs only with other media(Ritek for instanse)???

Please explain me..!!

Thank you for reading...

Last edited: Jun 7, 2005
  7. antonc

antonc Member

I'm using Optodisc -R, but nothing works. I've tweaked my laser but with no success. So now i'm startin to wonder whether you can use -R disks?

8. KaitouAce

KaitouAce Member

-r discs are fine. we all use them on account of they're better than +r. media and burner are the big factors here, fellas. i had a liteon sohw 1633 burner and i tried princo and ritek big and small and only ever got 1 game to work. i bought an nec 3520a and have had no problems since. same media and everything.

i've not tried optodisc. check the stickies on maxconsole.net under the viper topic in the forums to see what people recommend.

Last edited: May 24, 2005
  9. charis_k

charis_k Member

Dude THANK YOU!!
    You kept me so busy that I didn't say "thank you"!!

DREs buy now!

By the way I posted my photos under this thread:

url:
    forums.maxconsole.net/showthread.php?s=b64e507e0d2263194a6a8b1389c453f8&threadid=4124&perpage=15&pagenumber=5

Last edited: May 30, 2005
  10. mrdj

mrdj Guest

same happend for me. Had a bounch of gamez burned with my liteon burner. after a while it start coused DRE on all the games, exept one game "wind waker" that my neighbur burned with his nec 3520 burner. That time i release that i was need to buy a nec burner and reburn all my 50 gamez :( LOL

11. HGC

HGC Member

Will this Laser tweaking also work for the Qoob Pro chip?

12. charis_k

charis_k Member

[bold]Laser tweak:
    POT's value deppents ONLY on:

-burning speed
    -media
    -burner[/bold]

It allows the GC drive "to read or not to read" :p the media (POT's value and limits can differ, depending on the 3 reassons described above).

It works with ALL the chips (It has nothing to do with the chip)!

[bold]DREs are the effect of the burner, the media and the speed (and the image if it is fu**ed up; wiped or badly fixed) ONLY!!![/bold]

BUT if you tweak your laser for the GC drive to read your copy , DOESN'T mean that you have chosen a GOOD:
    -burner (like pioneer dvr-108;TOP, nec35xx;GOOD),
    -GOOD media (ritekG04; THE ONLY-THE BEST)
    -GOOD burning speed (2x usually for minis)!!!

CU later DUDES!

PS: This thread will explain you the technical cause of DREs:
    http://forums.maxconsole.net/showthread.php?s=683389fd5259274f9fae6542185ae49d&threadid=4124

Last edited: Jun 7, 2005
  13. DaRkDrEw

DaRkDrEw Guest

Before I use this tweak I just wanted to know in how far this will reduce the laser's life.

How many years will it normaly run, because I don't use my gamecube very often, I think it wouldn't effect it at all.

Here are a few (mini) dvd-rs that already work without tweaking the laser, they aren't so expensive:

Princo Mini DVD-R 1.4GB 1x speed
    Budget Mini DVD-R 1.4GB 1-4x speed (Not tested, but they say it works)
    Ritek DVD-R 4.7GB "RIDISC" (RITEK G04, I think you guys already know that this one is the best)

Edit:

What I would like to ask too: Does it cares what kind of modchip you're using to get a specific dvd-r to work?

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 28, 2005
  14. pressed

pressed Regular member

Ok, i have 2 laser units, one i set the pot from 640 down to 180, worked perfectly for about a week, then DREs, guessing bad laser cuz it was doing that before i modded it. Laser # 2: Boots all games, pot initially at 190 (tried lower, but put it up to 200), but gets stuck on certain games (usually on the opening FMV's), but if u let it chill for a bit, it looks like it gets past it, should I just leave it be? I think it'll boot my media everytime (i use fujis because i've never had luck with Ri-teks). Suggestions? From everything I have read on this post, looks like you all say that the best values are between 170 and 200ish and my tests would indicate that to be true, Maybe it doesn't like my media.. I have an NEC burner but i was using my sony one and it only lets you do 4x, maybe i'll use the NEC one from now on. Like I said, most of my games work all the way, but some freeze on FMV's so I guess I'll just be happy that they always boot.

15. mrdj

mrdj Guest

I recomend a NEC burner for bruning NGC backups. I had the same problem, but a new NEC burner correctet all my DRES problem. Now i havent had a DRE seens I bought it. I have my lazer at 200 ohms. Hope you will solve the problem.

16. GCos

GCos Member

when I tweaked my laser..the value at 2k was at I think 428 .And I lowered it down to about 298..and now it seems to read them without no erroring out

17. mr-cube

mr-cube Member

So you don't need to tweak the laser for ritek G04's?
    How are the memorex discs compared to the ritek G04's? Do you need to tweak the laser for memorex's?

18. pressed

pressed Regular member

I have never used memorex dvd-rs yet, but this site is good for media compatibilty verses pot setting, this is what I have been using to approximate what setting I need to have. Hope this helps you.

http://gamecube.nqtnews.com/

19. mr-cube

mr-cube Member

Thank You its a great site :)

20. pressed

pressed Regular member

your welcome, After using the info there i have 99% success rate with my games, only one doesn't work too well and thats RE 0, but I think thats pretty good.