1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gamecube mod chip - hard drive? usb?

Discussion in 'Nintendo Gamecube - General discussion' started by gui1t, Feb 24, 2006.

1. gui1t

gui1t Member

I am considering modifying my gamecube using a chip-

My question is, is there anyone succesfully using a dedicated hard drive for the game cube? Or do you just hook up the USB cable to a computer and run software from your computer's hard drive?

Also-

With a mod chip, can you put software on a disc and run it on the gamecube, like emulators? Or to run an emulator do you need to use the USB?

I'm just a little confused.

2. keebles

keebles Regular member

Mod chips allow you to run non-official code on your system (emulators and Backups. Softmoding allows you to do the same thing.
    Softmod moding and moding in gerneral can screw up you system if it has a hard drive (xboxs that have been softmoded can currupt the boot files that are on the HD) Softmoding a PS2 or Gamecube, won't damage the system if something goes wrong. I softmoded my PS2 with the Memeory card hack and had no trouble (put in a 80gb HD and installed a bunch of games on it). Now I am trying to softmod my GC, So I can Run/make Backups of my games I have. So if the system has a HD in it and uses files that are on the HD to boot, Don't try to softmod(might kill the system, But if it is like the PS2 and GC( No HD needed to Boot)Softmoding won't damage the system.

3. keebles

keebles Regular member

If you are going to softmod using the AR for GameCube with the USB Capable memory card, then yes. Or if you want use a GC Broad Band (BBA) Modem to load it using the PSO Hack.
    If you are just using a mod chip, then no. Just run it of the mini DVDR.
    Bye the way, do you know where I can get the GC BBA. I have been looking all over at every store around me and still haven't found it.

4. gui1t

gui1t Member

So I can use DVD-R's to run emulators and such. If I wanted to use a hard drive instead, would I have to use a USB external hard drive? Or is anyone figuring out a way to hook up a hard drive inside the cube?

Last edited: Feb 25, 2006
  5. johnodd4

johnodd4 Guest

you cannot connect a gamecube to a hard drive there is no way

you need to have a dvd burner and dvd-r's

6. Venom5880

Venom5880 Regular member

It's possible, just no one has bothered writing guides for it or releasing commercial products for it since it's not a simple process. Last summer, there was a group developing a chip with harddrive support, but I guess it never came to fruition.

My advice is to just get a ViperGC Extreme since BBAs are hard to come by and this way you could use the USB functionality to back-up games. All software can be run off recordable DVD media (mini or fullsize, doesn't matter).

A bit off topic, but softmodded Xbox's don't have problems with corruption. The problem with these is that older exploits cause the Xbox to go into a loop if the internal clock isn't set. Meaning, anytime power isn't supplied to the Xbox for over six hours and the clock resets, the Xbox will reboot indefinitely. Eventually it'll stop looping, and the clock can be set, but games can't be played while this is going on, meaning the exploit can't even be disabled or replaced until the loop stops. The audio exploit avoided this, but was too troublesome to load. Then there was exploit that loaded by replacing the Xbox Live option on the menu and having the user select it from the dash at boot up. The one I prefer is UXE, since it prevents all problems by deleting all the original files off the C partition and installing a modified version of the Xbox MS Dashboard alongside other necessary files. I've done three Xbox's this way and all of them have worked well. One of which even has a 200gb HDD. So basically, the only thing to worry about with Xbox soft mods is that whoever's doing it has to know what they're doing or else things could go horribly wrong. But as long as the exploit game save still exists on the E partition, any problems on C can be fixed.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2006
  7. keebles

keebles Regular member

I have had problems with my Friends softmoded xbox. He Installed everything like the instructions said so, and when he put in a new game(officail game), it deleted all of the hack and wouldn't boot after he turned it off. I had almost the same problem, but with a soderless mod chip. It became currupt and I had to remove it so I could even use my xbox. I know I didn't mess up the chip since I knew what I was doing.

8. Venom5880

Venom5880 Regular member

I wouldn't bother with solderless modchips on Xbox. The solder points are straight forward enough to where it's safer to just solder everything in place.

Any idea what softmod he used? Usually, games will still boot when the soft mod fails, so things can be fixed on the harddrive via ftp. However, if the problem can't be resolved, the quickest way to fix a softmod gone horribly wrong is to install a chip and get an autoinstaller disc such as Slayer's to rebuild that section of the harddrive. I haven't come across a situation that bad yet, especially with the UXE softmod.

9. keebles

keebles Regular member

I think it was Evox. And He didn't want to Open his xbox at all!

10. Venom5880

Venom5880 Regular member

Everything uses EvoX as the default dashboard. Modchips, softmods, it doesn't matter.

I was wondering what expoit did he use and what type of soft mod he installed (font exploit, audio exploit, or UXE).

I softmodded a friend's Xbox in about 10 minutes last week. Unfortunately, his optical drive is about ready to crap out, and can't read back-ups. It's so bad, it can't read the lens cleaner disc I put in it. We tried pulling it apart and cleaning it, but I didn't know there's a mirror that needs to be cleaned as well, so cleaning the lens didn't do anything. I doubt they've bothered cleaning it themselves...

11. keebles

keebles Regular member

he told me he just used Evox with the mech installer. and then He had problems after playing the game.

12. Venom5880

Venom5880 Regular member

Heh, that's the save game exploit I use to get all the softmods I've done installed. Load up the "Run Linux" profile with MechAssault and it jumps into EvoX, allowing the user to use an FTP program to install software onto the Xbox's hard drive.

He just didn't do it right.

13. keebles

keebles Regular member

Oh well. Im the type of person that doesn't really want to softmod anything that requires a hard drive to boot because if something goes wrong, The item could end up as a door stop. I also don't use modchips any more since I almost ruined my xbox with one. I rather just Softmod the systems that only use memory cards to save and have no internal flashable chips or hard drive that is requied to boot(like the Xbox). The ones that I soft mod are the PS2 and GC, which all installs are done on a memory card, and if something goes wrong with the memory card, all I have to do is format it and the system isn't damaged in any way.^^_^

14. v600blink

v600blink Member

lets clear up something... broadband adaptors can be bought from amazon/ target and nintendo for the same price... nintendo ships faster.. i didnt have a hard time finding one at all. so if u want to do the bba method go ahead.. just look. forget ebay.

15. v600blink

v600blink Member

also if you guys that know how to do the hard drive for gamecube if you can list some sites / tutorials? i would like to have a 400gb attached with backups.