1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gamecube Mod Idea

Discussion in 'Nintendo Gamecube - General discussion' started by coh420, Dec 1, 2004.

1. coh420

coh420 Member

Hey people I was just thinking long and hard about this idea, about how you can mod it now and run homebrew apps, why doesn't somebody write an app that will allow you to hook up a USB 2.0 hard drive (and actually run with the 2.0 speeds) to the gamecube so you can have alot of space for games and not just that so you can run roms right off the hard drive, that would make the GC even better then it is now!!

2. johnodd4

johnodd4 Guest

to late nintendo already beat you to that mod

the project was called triforce it was a joint venture between nintendo and sega the goal was to hook up a 120 gig hard drive and have it run dreamcast games on the gc the project was scraped because the gamecubes kept overloading

3. coh420

coh420 Member

well my idea works a little differen then that, it needs the new mod that just came out and it needs a coder to make the code for it to allow, I'm sure somebody out there can do it, I wasn't talking about Dreamcast or anything like that, I was ment to say GAMECUBE roms

4. L-Burna

L-Burna Active member

I don't think it would be from USB 2.0 though it would have to be from IDE cables.I seen the cables already for the new mod and they are IDE so having a harddrive is possible,but not really sure if it would work or not.I like the idea of having a harddrive,but actually able to browse to the harddrive and play the roms that would be pretty hard.It would have to come from a .DOL file or software probably dealing with linux making a format disc for the drive.I haven't heard of the project that you mentioned johnodd4,but that was dealing with dreamcast roms this is dealing with the actual GC roms.The system is built to read the GC roms already so saying dreamcast doesn't work doesn't really mean a GC rom won't.

5. coh420

coh420 Member

There is a way you can connect USB to your GC already in the form of a Memory card but my idea was to take that a little farther and make it USB 2.0 and then able to (with the new mod by Viper) run an app to load the things off of the Memory slot much like the same on the Xbox

6. kopkilla

kopkilla Guest

how many posts till im not a newbie? huh?
    read between the lines C-P-O-M-O-H-N-H-S

7. Icemonkey

Icemonkey Active member

The Gamecube development kits available to 3rd party publishers contain all the adapters necessary to stream from a PC to the Gamecube using a USB 2.0 connection to stream test images. So basically, Nintendo does make a USB 2.0 adapter, it's just not available to the public.

8. coh420

coh420 Member

there is a memory card that has USB attached to it so you can put your saves on the computer what I was thinking was to take that USB memory card mod that a little so you can have a USB 2.0 hard drive or any USB deviced hooked up to the memory port.

9. L-Burna

L-Burna Active member

You are talking about Max Drive Pro right.I have been waiting for that product for awhile,and still haven't seen a sign of it.It uses a memory card that plugs into the memory card slot on the GC side which uses another system which is based on SD cards and using the USB port like mentioned to transfer from the PC side.I don't think it is possible without the right equipment to make it happen,even if there is a programmer that can program something to run it.It would be hard to make this product considering all the time it would take to make all the tools needed and equipment to run it.It is a cool idea still,but harddrive support I don't think will be possible with the USB 2.0 method which is slower than using the IDE cables.I seen the new viper modchip has IDE cables so it could be possible with IDE rather than USB 2.0,but still it is not certain that either one will work or not work.

10. coh420

coh420 Member

you can find that USB memory card at www.lik-sang.com

11. L-Burna

L-Burna Active member

Yeah I know man,but how could you transfer different associated files with it.You would still need some kind of software to make it happen right.I forgot to mention that the USB A male to B male that would be used would have to be altered at the very end to have a different male end from this USB 2.0 male to male cable.It would look something like this [​IMG]
    look at the right end of the cable this is what you would need to connect a external harddrive.I think a solution could be worked out though by looking at this product http://store.yahoo.com/meritline/usb-to-ide-network-cable.html of course this would be dealing with the new modchip.I think like you said you still would have to have a programmer to build some program or software to run it.It isn't a bad idea and maybe it could happen.

12. coh420

coh420 Member

I never thought of something like that lol I was thinking more about those USB 2.0 hard drives, but it would be cool if my idea where to be real, cause it would be nice to be able to play GC roms without having to deal with so much parts lol

13. coh420

coh420 Member

I never thought of something like that lol I was thinking more about those USB 2.0 hard drives, but it would be cool if my idea where to be real, cause it would be nice to be able to play GC roms without having to deal with so much parts lol

14. L-Burna

L-Burna Active member

Yeah true that would be cool man,but the usb port end is the wrong end you need.The memory card device that has the male end A,but needs to have male end B the oval looking end then the rectangle end.It would have to have a program to run it,but a programmer would have to be involved in that area.It looks like alot of work,but doesn't mean it can't be done.I think it would take alot of parts no matter which way you go about it to be honest man USB 2.0 or IDE since it is hard enough already to get anything to connect to the system without altering stuff like crazy.The IDE cable runs quicker though than USB 2.0 so that would probably be your best bet.

15. coh420

coh420 Member

only one thing that really troubles me about the whole modding idea, is that like Xbox Live maybe GC will not let modded GC's play online, what games other then PSO can you play online?

16. johnodd4

johnodd4 Guest

the usb memory card is already out but you can get it online only

17. coh420

coh420 Member

we knew that already www.lik-sang.com is where you can find one or even at www.code-junkies.com