1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gamecube Mod

Discussion in 'Nintendo Gamecube - General discussion' started by 5000, Feb 11, 2005.

1. 5000

5000 Member

alrite, i got the viper and everything works good, but i refuse to spend the extra dough on mini dvds. right now i'm burning my games with some cheap ass less then 50cents per dvd, dvds and i've had only a couple disc read errors. but i hate having the lid open all the time.

so i decided to basically gut the inside walls of it to allow the dvd to fit... so far after about 2-3 hours work i'm around half done and it looks really good.

but i need a bit of help with the lid. when cutting the insides i had to eliminate the lid locking device so now it wont stay down. i've been thinking of ideas involving magnets, motors, electrical magnets, putting more weight on the lid to 'neutralize' the spring, removing the spring.... but i havent come up with anything that would work real well or would be possible to make.

i am also going to remove the normal orange LED and rewire it so that it will be blue instead... except that it will light up the top clear/black part instead of at the front.

so if anyone has any ideas for that lid that would be great, or any mod for the gamecube in general would also be great.

2. Kafluke

Kafluke Active member

dude, seriously, just buy the mini dvd's! They're not that expensive and you don't have to modify the lid!

3. 5000

5000 Member

i dont want to buy the mini dvds.

besides working on this and putting in a bunch of time rather then go out to future shop and swipe a debit card is more appealing to me.

4. ninja234

ninja234 Guest

lol where u get ur cds from the mini dvds from

5. 5000

5000 Member

ya well anyways, i have the insides all gutted to fit the dvds, and i think we're (me and my buddy) going to cut a rounded sliver off the two sides then glue plastic to the lid to match where the slivers were taken out.

but it seems like no one is into this so i'm just going to stop updating it.

6. Lazycus

Lazycus Member

Check other sites. Lots of people have already done lid/top mods to make full size DVDs fit. They look like FrankenCubes to me but whatever makes you happy is best. I for one love to see the mods (especially the nice ones) so keep us updated and add some pics. Lots of others will just wait until somebody makes replacement lids/tops or just leave the top off or just stick with the minis.

Have fun and make it your own signature cube!

7. 5000

5000 Member

alrite i put some pics up.

http://www3.sympatico.ca/tw5000/NGC.html

the shot of the lid was supposed to show that it has primer on it... but its hard to tell. but it does.

the dvds will now fit but i cant get them inside, which is why i'm going to have to cut the slivers out, then after that they should be easy to get in and out.

8. 5000

5000 Member

9. molton

molton Member

nice mod, it looks like it took some time but it also looks really nice. I put a thread on this forum of an idea for locking the lid down, there's a nicer more complete version here

http://www.eurasia.nu/wiki/index.php?pagename=GcFullSizeDvdLock

It's probably not what you're looking for considering the time you put in to make your cube look as much like the original as possible, but it's a simple, easy, and durable solution.

I modded my cube by gutting out the whole inside like some people do, and it wasn't until my last plastic reduction procedure I was actually able to fit the disc in there without it pissing me off, it's still a bit more chalenging than putting a mini dvd in there, how easy is it to insert the full size disc into your gamecube modified like that? (or are you still working on that like you mentioned earlier)

also, if you're camera has a macro mode (the flower setting) you might want to use that for taking those shots, put the ISO setting as high as possible to speed up the shutter as much as possible to reduce blurring

Last edited: Mar 4, 2005
  10. 5000

5000 Member

thanks

as for the dvds, they still dont fit in at all because we still have to remove the slivers from the sides and glue the fitting pieces onto the lid. then we'll be able to make sure the dvd fits in nicely and can spin good

as for the camera, i'm using a digital camera my family got for free 3 years ago... its 1 megapixel i believe and it also sucks. its quality was on highest for all those pictures and it has no macro features. i'm hopefully going to be borrowing my buddys much better camera to take some pictures soon. hopefully.

11. -Geforce-

-Geforce- Member

Very nice!

While you're at it, if you want to make your GC look more like a cube, add about an inch to the bottom of the cube. If you put some cool light effects in it it would be so cool, and cubic :p You filled up the com ports anyways...

Also, a nice mod is lighting up the controller ports. There are projects that want to make something that light up the controller ports only when a controller is plugged in. Now that would be cool!

I also replaced the orange light with a blue one, but I left it in place and I have a purple cube. When adding leds and stuff to the holes in your cube, be sure you dont block the airflow.

And i know im carrying away, but if you want to have a cool light effect and your modifying your lid anyways, make a new lid out of plexiglass and put lots of leds under it (maybe even a moving thing or 4 different colored leds that light up under the lid when you plug in a controller). I bet nobody else has done it, Im not going to anyways...

Good luck!!

12. Ize

Ize Regular member

That looks horrible, one of the worst mods i've seen

Why would you glue the bottom of the cube up like that, what happens if Nintendo decides to make a HDD that hooks up to a port?

13. 5000

5000 Member

whether or not nintendo or anyone brings out a HD for the NGC, i'm not going to be buying it. i dont need the bba adapter as i dont need to worry about the PSO exploit and i really dont need the gamecube GBA player so that is why i decided to glue everything up.

And if something mindblowing comes out that i absolutely HAVE to have that connects to one of those ports then i'll just pull out my dremel tool and make it happen.

also, dont put other peoples mods down man, molton's mod does exactly what he needs and does it perfectly.. it obviously isnt going to win him any awards, but what awards are there to win?

Last edited: Mar 6, 2005
  14. Artlover

Artlover Member

Hey, if you don't like it, then don't do it. Ain't that simple?

Thank you for posting on the internet.

15. Ize

Ize Regular member

Exactly, I ain't doing it.

It was an opinion, if you don't like it though it's mine not yours.

Also if you like the case, then hey great, it's your case, if you did something you didn't want it would be kinda stupid right?

The glued up system, i personally don't like it, but your doing good work, your sanding it down and taking your time.

The other mod, with the tab lock looks bad, it looks like he got a dremmel and hacked it up, There are no clean edges, the cuts are not strait, and he mentioned that if he presses the lid down to hard it hits the disks. If he would have thought of the full problem before starting to hack it up he might have seen a solution to help the issue.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2005