1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Games For Windows Does Anyone Play Them?

Discussion in 'Windows - Games' started by elliott, Dec 4, 2006.

1. elliott

elliott Regular member

I always play my games on my pc. I had a ps2 years ago now and well the fact that in a player graphics and processor power are not upgradeable and I like good graphics and framerates I sold mine. Now with the ps3 and xbox 360 I'm still not impressed the money you spend on those you could use on either upgrading or building a gaming pc that can handle the next gen in games. Does anyone agree, does anyone still use their pc for gaming?
    What are your favorite games just got titan quest and have all the age of games and am looking forward to the new halo online game coming out later.

2. markw53

markw53 Member

Personally I'd rather play games on my pc. I to had a ps2 but gave it to the grandkids. I think I have more control of the game and moments on a pc. Started off with Bafflefield 1942. Moved on to Battlefield 2,BF2 Special Forces. Just recently bought the booster pack for more maps. Bad thing about it is, you have to be connected to your account and their servers just to play the new maps. Pisses me off they do crap like that. I don't play multi-player, just single player. Feel like if you put out good money to buy something, you should be able to play the way you want to!
    The new Battlefield 2142 is perty cool. Some major blow shit up! Call of Duty 2 is fun too!

3. elliott

elliott Regular member

I hear ya online server connectiions sux Valve/Vivendi that's why I never got Half Life 2. Soooo you like blowing chit up huh!!! I liked Call of duty haven't tried the sequal, Have you played FarCry I am addicted to that so I kinda lay off for a few weeks then go fraggin on a binge. There is a new FarCry called Crysis coming out in January that has an awesome gaming engine and life like HD graphics so far the previews on Gamspot.com look awesome.

4. markw53

markw53 Member

I agree Far Cry is alot of fun. Have'nt got to far into it but I try to play as much as possible. I will keep on the look out for Crysis. Some others I try my hand at are the Medal of Honor series and Return to Castle Wolfenstein. But I always seem to end up playin BF2. Drivin the tanks and blowin stuff up. Where else can you drive on an Interstate Highway or across a wheat field in a tank.

5. elliott

elliott Regular member

I think that's what all gamers have in common some particular game that they just love and enjoy. Mine is of all things the original age of empires gold I always catch myself playing it and its so old but like a good pair of shoes or my favorite t-shirt just fits at the right time. I saw battfield vietnam at half price books for like 5 bucks will pick that up next time I am there and check it out. Have you played Americas Army Special Forces?

6. markw53

markw53 Member

No. Haven't played Americas Army Special Forces. Did do a search on Crysis. Went to their website. Game looks perty cool. Graphics look real good. Another game I've been looking at is Brothers in Arms. May give it a try. 5 bucks is real good price on Battlefield Vietnam. The Redux edition has better graphics. There all good!

7. tnarulz

tnarulz Member

I most definitely still use my PC for gaming I am a console gamer as well but some games IMO just do NOT translate well to consoles.

8. elliott

elliott Regular member

Amen Brother !!! I just got the new mag Games for Windows its about time someone really dedicates a mag to this platform.

9. markw53

markw53 Member

What is the name of that magazine? If you don't mind me askin'. Would like to check that out myself.

10. elliott

elliott Regular member

"Games for Windows" at 1up.com a Zizz Davis publication latest issue has reviews for Command and Conquer 3:tiberian wars

11. elliott

elliott Regular member

oops thats ziff davis

12. markw53

markw53 Member

Thanks. I'll check that out!

13. Juanmy

Juanmy Guest

Do any of you guys know how i culd set up a pc so that i culd host multiple dedicated game servers in it? if you do please i would really like to learn how.

14. steimy

steimy Active member

i just started PC gaming and built my first gaming PC.
    The games are better than a console, as they always were,
    but i had to really get use to the keyboard and mouse.
    Here is the system i just built, it doesn't include HDD's and DVD drives as i already had those in the old system.
    Premade systems with specs good enough to play todays games
    are more expensive then building it.

Case: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811233006
    Motherboard: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813130051
    Grapgics: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814150182
    PSU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817194004
    CPU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819115004
    RAM: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820146526
    and some Arctic Silver 5 thermpaste in case i need it.

15. janrocks

janrocks Guest

Yeah.. I know how, but it took me ages to learn it all...

Basic debian sarge install, then multiple virtual apache servers running on different ports, either on the same IP or different virtual ones.

Don't under any circumstances have the network accessible from outside without running the "bastille" package on it (which will give you a hell of a time connecting anything but passive file download on the servers)

It's just toooooo big of a subject otherwise.. Learn to set up a server, then really think about what you want to do with it.

remember.. No 2 servers are ever the same (I build about 3 a week, and none are the same twice)

16. Juanmy

Juanmy Guest

kk how do i learn to make the server , do i use linux? if i do then witch linux version and what softwares i use??

17. The_Fiend

The_Fiend Guest

Did you even bother reading your other, closed threads?
    Because you should, unless you don't mind spending money only to find out you can't do what you want to do.

18. Juanmy

Juanmy Guest

hey man i think i remember you ask me to close it?? right?? w

19. Juanmy

Juanmy Guest

and you told me in red "stick to this one" , so what are you saying?, anyways janrocls or any1 that culd help where shuld i start to make the server?

20. elliott

elliott Regular member

I started this thread to discuss games for windows if you are interested in servers start your own thread or maybe listen to some of the senior advisors here who have said what you want to do is not possible or maybe go read your other closed threads as someone else suggested.