1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Notebook

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by thumpy, Aug 11, 2010.

1. thumpy

thumpy Regular member

2. Xplorer4

Xplorer4 Active member

This is kind of going nowhere. As said, stay away from ASUS so the link in post 20 wasnt really needed anyways. The link to the Toshiba is as well. Apply the advice given. Look at the specs of the Toshiba, and notice it it uses Nvidia, so thats a no-go as well. With out a doubt the Dell is the only one worth mentioning.

3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

My mistake, the HD5850 may have been an option in the european Dell or perhaps it was just the Alienware M15.
    Either way you can't say 'I have a gaming PC at home so I don't need a gaming laptop' and say 'I need something to game and work'. No gaming laptop will keep playing the most up to date games for years, you just can't futureproof like that. Either settle for middleground with the HD5730 Studio XPS, or buy a high-end Alienware for twice the price with an HD5850 or HD5870 in it. Quite simple, really.

4. thumpy

thumpy Regular member

Thanks for all your help guys. Guess Dell is the way to go. I laugh how the Mac fan boys say their notebooks are supreme and they cant even game lol.

My home pc has an nvidia gtx8800 728 mb. What notebook videocard will be close to those graphics as I am very happy with it.

5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The Mobility HD5730 shouldn't be far off that actually, maybe 60-70% of its performance.

6. thumpy

thumpy Regular member

7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Sony uses an nvidia graphics processor, so buy the Dell.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2010
  8. thumpy

thumpy Regular member

Just curious what is wrong with nvidias? I thought they were suppose to be the best?

9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Firstly, no. Neither company is 'the best', but nvidia's laptop GPUs don't last very long before they break. If you want a laptop that lasts a long time, you definitely don't want one with an nvidia.

10. Xplorer4

Xplorer4 Active member

Not completely sure this holds true on the mobile end, but desktop wise, nvidia cards cost more for similar performance from an ATI card. They draw more power, and therefor create more heat.

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

It's difficult to judge how pricey notebook GPUs are because you can only ever buy a complete system. Suffice to say though, that companies have been sued in the past due to how often laptops go wrong with geforce GPUs in them. I've seen it happen first hand a fair few times.