1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

gaming pc build for crysis?

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by brauner, Nov 17, 2008.

1. spamual

spamual Guest

i get a difference :)

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Well, 3mpty's 3.85Ghz overclock on his Q9550 didn't require one, put it that way, and it doesn't make any difference to how far either the Q6600 or Q9550 clock on my board.

3. brauner

brauner Member

i am pretty sure its the 1.25v chip..i remember in cpu-z that it displayed as 1.27 i think..so its at 1.30 right now..i will try 1.35 and see what that does..im also going to put in the ram timings and voltage to the default of my ram...so if that doesnt work should i just keep upping the voltage until it goes up??

i also am wondering some things about my asus radeon 4870x2..the idle is at about 80 degrees celsius and that seems pretty high, i havent tried it on any games yet but i am assuming it is going to load to at least 100 degrees...should i leave the fan on auto or make 2 profiles in catalyst such as 1 for games and 1 for desktop use?

Thanks!

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The fan on the 4870X2 is fine. It idles at 80C when you first turn the PC on, after you've played a game that you then close it idles around 65. At full load it usually runs at about 85C at the most due to the higher fan speed.

5. brauner

brauner Member

i have another quick question..in regards to the hdd...i am wondering if i put by hdd in AHCI mode vs IDE in the BIOS if I will gain any performance? will it effect gaming and stuff? i no its not hard in vista all that you have to do is change a registry value..

Thanks again!

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I have no idea, but it certainly won't gain you performance. Why are you interested?

7. brauner

brauner Member

o i was just reading it in the manual and i thought it would make a difference but i guess not...so what you are saying bout the vid card is that it runs on load when its on idle? does this mean when i run the game it wont really reasch higher temps or no?

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The 4870X2 runs at idle clock speeds but load voltage when you first power it on, which is a big cause of heat production and power consumption. It will go above 80ºC during full load, but not by much.

9. brauner

brauner Member

oo ok...ive put the voltage on the cpu to 1.5! and it still hasnt bumped up at all..is there something crucial im missing that my cpu is overclocking?

10. brauner

brauner Member

wow im an idiot i missed the ai overclock tuner and forgot to change the fsb frequency (bang)...i have it at 1.35v and its running idle at 21degrees and 3.133ghz..should i go higher?

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Go as high as you like, but don't exceed 1.5 Volts. If it's not stable, knock it down a bit.

12. brauner

brauner Member

ok i think i will stick at 3.2..thanks again for all your help! i would've been screwd:p

13. brauner

brauner Member

alright one more question..i dont think its that big of a deal but just to be sure...asus probe II and the bios are giving me a cpu temp of 18 degrees celsius which just seemed to good to be true...so i donwloaded core temp and as of now its telling me on idle my cores are: 35 32 31 31...why does the bios and probe not give me the right numbers?

14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The main CPU temperature and the core temperatures are different. I use the main CPU temperature as it's usually a more reliable measurement. 18ºC is quite cool, but if you're in a cold room it's possible.