1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gangs of New York on 1 disc

Discussion in 'DVD2One forum' started by ericbee, Jul 7, 2003.

1. ericbee

ericbee Regular member

So has anyone done it yet? I tried it again after successfully doing goodfellas but, this is another one of those discs that I need to have my hand held to combine.

If you did do it, how is the final version as far as picture quality? Is the compression noticeable on such a long film? The PQ on the 2 disc set is ok at best and nothing of reference quality so, maybe it won't look so bad.

Any one do it yet?

Last edited: Jul 7, 2003
  2. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Gangs of New York is on one disc?? I have it backed up, did it with DVD2One Movie only mode and the quality is excellent.

Whats the problem with your having or are you just curious?

Chris

3. ericbee

ericbee Regular member

It comes from the studios as a 2 disc set and I hate having to get up and change discs but, if the quality of the combined/compressed copy looks poor I would have no choice.

I tried combining them myself but, I was unable to do so succesfully. I even followed my own notes regarding goodfellas but, I was unable to successfully combine both discs into a single burnable folder.

If you feel like posting a step by step, i would love to try it but, continuing to fail is very frustrating and I don't even know where I am going wrong.

At least you got it to work and it looks good so theres hope!

4. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member

the 2 disc set is all extras on the 2nd disc

not worth bothering with

I did Gangs Of New York

DVD Dcerypter 3.1.6
    DVD2One 1.2
    Nero 5.5.10.42

5. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

To combine them is very simple (by the way, i have it on a single DVD?? the second DVD is extras?|?)

Create two folders.
    Rip each one seperately into the two folders
    Open TMPGEnc and select the vob's in order from the first folder
    Then select the vob's in order from the second folder following on from the first
    Then click begin output
    You will need to shrink (by alot) with a compression tool of your choice

Chris

6. ericbee

ericbee Regular member

Guys, the 2 disc set DOES NOT have extras on the second disc, it has the second half of the movie on the second disc.

I will look to see if i can find a one disc version of the disc.

7. ericbee

ericbee Regular member

I have searched everywhere and every site I see only sells a 2 disc set with the entire movie split over 2 Discs. NOT a single disc for the feature and the second for the supplemental material.

Please direct me to where anyone has anything other than what i have.

8. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member

What country are you in ericbee cos here in UK it is a 2 disc set , the 2nd being extra features only !!??

[​IMG]

9. ericbee

ericbee Regular member

usa region 1

10. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Um...if you've bought it and watched it, why buy another. Anyway, i understand your movie is split over 2 discs, i gave you instructions on how to put them together!!!

11. rajsehgal

rajsehgal Member

hi oriphus - I tried that just a few days ago, I still have the entire sides on my harddrive, havent had time to burn each. I tried using TMPGenc, using the demo.. I tried to put the last vob of the first part. It gave me an error, saying it wasn't able to enitiate decoder, I read somewhere that you might have to use some other program since there is some type of different ending, where it tells you to add the second disc, but I haven't tried, and it seemed complicated, just wondering if you had encountered the same problem.

the movie I got is with both parts split into 2 dvds.

thanks
    raj

12. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

No, I havent had that problem. TMPGEnc DVD Author should take any VOB's you want, leave all other files alone, and create a menu and file structure for them to be played onyour DVD player. Try renaming the VOB's in the second folder to coincide with those in the first. IE: First folder:
    VTS_01_1.VOB
    VTS_01_2.VOB
    VTS_01_3.VOB
    VTS_01_4.VOB

The second folder will have the same nubmers probaly, rename them to:

VTS_01_5.VOB
    VTS_01_6.VOB
    VTS_01_7.VOB
    VTS_01_8.VOB

And this may solve your problem.

Chris

13. ericbee

ericbee Regular member

Orpheus: Thank you for your advice but, if you have a single disc then why did you need to do what you described in order to put it on one disc? The process you described was for 2 disc owners to combine into a single disc, not for single disc owners.

My point is that you have not done this yourself with this particular disc, you are speculating that it can be done because you have done it with other discs.

Well, i was able to combine goodfellas and i am unable to combine GONY. So either do it and tell us how exactly or please stop assuming that all discs will respond identically.

Herbsman, email me about this one, I may take you up on your offer.

14. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Ericbee, ur an idiot. You won't get help on this forum with that kind of attitude. I guarantee i could get your two disc version onto one disc. There are no encryptions on the VOB's or anything. If you have a raw VOB file, you can combine it in TMPGEnc DVD Author._X_X_X_X_X_[small]Im gonna find you, and im coming to get YOU!

[​IMG] [​IMG][/small]

Last edited: Jul 8, 2003
  15. rajsehgal

rajsehgal Member

i tried that again... doing what oriphus said...

I still cant get the last vob file from the 1st set of vobs(1 disc) to be set into the program. I am able to put in the disc 2 vob files, but not the ending part of the first disc. Seems wierd... then i was thinking of just doing each seperatly, cause I was thinking of a loss of quality, but if anyone knows what the heck is going on....help a brotha out!!

thanks
    raj

16. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Whats the problem you get when doing it?

Is there an error message?

17. ericbee

ericbee Regular member

Orphius: Who the F are you calling an idiot?

Did I not thank you for your help? It's you with the attitude and i don't give a rats ass if you are a senior member or not.

I am certain you can get our 2 version disc onto one disc or I can assure you noone would even be replying to your posts. If you are here to help then help, insulting me isn't the answer my friend. In the time you took to post your crap you could have just as easily posted a step by step for those of us who need help.

I stated that since you have a different region disc that you have not done this specific disc yourself and you have not. Inever made any mention of encriptions on the VOB's, you did. I am certain this disc is no different than any other but, these discs pose a problem for many of us, me included.

So if you would like to help please do and never again come at me with an unwarranted attitude, I don't like it very much at all especially when i have done nothing but thank you for your time and attention to my initial question.

18. rajsehgal

rajsehgal Member

the error message is when i put the last vob file from the first disc. it says.. "unable to enitiate decoder". It also says it for the last vob for the 2nd disc as well. So I know its not the ripping process I used. Should i use dvd2one first to compress both of the movies? and then use the program?... I am going to try that later on...but maybe that could work.

19. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Hmmm...If you use DVD2One first to compress, you really need to calculate the rate of compression, ie: select Movie Only mode and set the output size to 2150MB. Then try combining. Read through the Squeezing Goodfellas to one disc thread, it might offer yousome additional help.

As for you ericbee:
    Seems to me like you were having a go at me. If you werent, try re-thinking what you were trying to say and then re-word it so i can follow you wihtout taking offence.

Chris

20. trunyon

trunyon Member

The problem you are encountering with joining the VOB's from the two discs is they are bot VOB id 1 and the end of Gof NY side 1 looks for VOB id 2. Rename all the movie VOB's to VTS_1_001 thru VTS_1_010. in a folder of their own. Then use VOBEdit to join clips into another new folder. You should end up with 9 VOB files. Use IFOEdit to create IFO files and then run through DVD2One. DVD2One will stop around the 50% mark but it will have done the entire movie. On my copy of the full movie on one disk, the movie hangs where the VOB files are joined together on my sony player, but it plays fine on my apex. There is a 2 second blank screen for the scene change between the merged VOB sets.