1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

gaps in between tracks?

Discussion in 'Audio' started by rgoodburn, May 6, 2004.

1. rgoodburn

rgoodburn Member

I've been trying to backup audio cd's but the ripped tracks have gaps in them. The gaps are of various lengths and number.

I've tried using Nero and Easy CD ripper but it happens with both and on various CD's.

Has anyone got any suggestions as to how I can stop this happening?

2. tigre

tigre Moderator Staff Member

Try ExactAudioCopy (EAC) in secure mode; both, the program and a guide are available at afterdawn.com

Are the CDs copy protected? In this case read the sticky thread about handlin "damaged" audio CDs.

Otherwise try different drives (do the gaps appear at identical positions with all drives?) and/or lower extraction speed (use e.g. Nero drivespeed to reduce max. speed).

3. rgoodburn

rgoodburn Member

Dowloaded EAC (couldn't find the guide?). Made a .cue image of the CD. Went to write the image and got an error message "Write error! Write blocks: logical unit not ready, long write in progress"? The CD drive also remains busy and it would not eject the CD-R disc. Managed to burn the .wav file that EAC produced by using Nero but it is just one long track!

There is no mention of protection on the CD or the booklet but Nero says the CD is copy protected. Read the sticky. Thanks

Have tried different drives and the gaps appear at different times and I've tried varying the speed.

Can you teel me what the EAC write error means?

Thanks for all your help, it's really appreciated and I will be back to help other in the future.

Last edited: May 7, 2004
  4. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member

In Nero you can 'select all' & right click on highlighted to check properties... in there you can alter time between each track (default is 2 secs).

5. tigre

tigre Moderator Staff Member

Since your problem is somewhat unusual, here's a good EAC guide with lots of background information a few clicks away. I'm *very* short of time ATM, so you will probably get help more quickly with same or better quality at at Hydrogenaudio.org or digital-in.de/EAC section forums.

About EAC: It's main advantage is error detection/correction on ripping. Don't use it for burning. If you extract to a single .wav file, you should let it create a .cue file as well that can be used with burning software like Nero or Burrrn (free).

I don't see any advantage in using EAC for *burning*. It has compatibility problems with some drives. Once you have managed to extract the files error-free to .wav onto your HDD, your problem is solved. Creating mp3s or burning to audio CD-R(W) without errors/gaps etc. is easy.

@ herbsman's reply: OOoops... I mised the thread title "gaps in between tracks"... So I'm confused now. What's the question exactly about again?
    ("The gaps are of various lengths and number.")

Gaps between tracks only or gaps occuring somewhere in a song?
    _
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]AFTERDAWN FORUM RULES: http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/2487[/small]

Last edited: May 7, 2004