1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gateway Trash !!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by zenarrrow, Apr 27, 2005.

1. zenarrrow

zenarrrow Regular member

OK now that I have ur attention :) I am a garbage man and I found a gateway PC pentium three performance in the trash I had plans of ripping the memory out of it and putting it in my dell but it won't work. Now I just want to keep it as a backup. I hooked it up it starts up windows opens and everything. I can get it to open up like my comp. etc. It is making a noise out of the back where the power hooks up, maybe the power box. I think it is the fan back there would the harddrive make noise too if it were messed up? After a while it would freeze up any help would be appreciated thanks.

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

sounds like the psu fan needs lubrication if noise goes away after a few minutes. do a thorough scandisk in safemode if win9x for 2 reasons. 1 to see if it freezes in safe mode or not & 2 to check for bad spots on hd. what size & make is the hd??

3. zenarrrow

zenarrrow Regular member

ddp the noise seems to go on through out the process, it never stops making noise. I am sorry how do I do a scandisk? It has windows xp running. I tried to go to msconfig to stop all the progs but it says I need administrators privledges, how can I get around this? Same with trying to see what is on the harddrive. One of my problems is I only have one monitor, keyboard etc. On the out side of the harddrive it says Quantum fireball plus I don't know if that helps any. When I looked it say's it had 12.5 free space and 27.9 total. I would love to keep this as a pc to do my backup movies on. It has a dvd rom and a cd-rw I have an extra burner I could install. Any way the most important part is finding out why it is freezing and what the noise is coming from.

4. haimback

haimback Regular member

Try putting your Power supply from your existing computer in the one you found and boot it then listen if the noise is still there post result - if its not you'v got a faulty PSU and can get a new one for buttons.

5. ddp

goto my computer, open, cdrive, right click than properties, tools, scandisk, click the box to fix errors than ok. it will come up & say needs windows to be restarted for scandisk to run so either restart now or later

6. baabaa

baabaa Active member

They maybe bits of carrots and dried peas catching on the fan inside the PSU......................Just a suggestions...........

7. colw

colw Active member

Seems to me that if someone threw it out, its probably stuffed.

You can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear.

Save yourself time, effort and frustration - put in back in the trash where some previous owner had obviously decided that it is the place its belongs.

8. ddp

i think it might be worthwhile to keep once find source of noise & Freezing problem

9. zenarrrow

zenarrrow Regular member

Ok if Iwere to throw it away, beside any mixed vegetables I might save anything else worth keeping? Maybe the cables 80 pin memory cards for a gateway for a friend? Video cards etc? Thanks guy's ---zen-->

10. ddp

try the hd & psu in another computer 1 at a time to see what is making the noise

11. zenarrrow

zenarrrow Regular member

Ok if i put in the hard drive in my pc could it have a virus or something that could infect my pc?

12. ddp

offline your hd if other hd is bootable & try it in safemode so won't find & load new devices from your motherboard

13. baabaa

baabaa Active member

Lovely ddp, you have just answered a question I was going to PM you with, cheers for that..................

I was going to ask you if you could place a bootable HD in another PC and run it in safe mode on another mobo would it interfere with any drivers/setup stuff etc................

Anyway sorry for off topic......

Yeah, see what is making the noise, can only be the PSU/HD/Fans etc as ddp suggested...................

14. zenarrrow

zenarrrow Regular member

OK I will try it. can I ask you a question off the subject? Right now my PC is running good I have a Dell 4550, 3 yrs old. Everything is fine speed radio is on etc but my moniter is real screwy the picture is kinda like pink lines also other windows from the past are showing through. They the words from the old windows are smearing and stuff. It started when my daughter was playing sims game I 've since uninstalled it and deleted it from the comp. If I mininmize aol for instance their still are remnents of the windows still here. I have restarted the comp, defraged just yesterday???

15. ddp

sounds like you have burn in on the phosphorous on the screen. if possible try another monitor to see if problem follows or not.

16. zenarrrow

zenarrrow Regular member

Yeah, I guess that should be the first step, I shut the pc down for a while this morning. It started up fine then it starts to do this what does burn in on the phosphorus mean? Sorry, I just spent alot of money on this flat screen monitor, three yrs ago though.

17. ddp

it leaves a ghost image on the back of the screen & presuming you are talking about a crt monitor & not a lcd/plasma monitor

18. zenarrrow

zenarrrow Regular member

It is just a flat screen monitor from dell it says ultra sharp. I don't believe it is a plasma or lcd. And yes for instance I was on amazons website and now it is what is the "Ghost image" I have since logged off amazon as well as got off olin and back on and I can still see where it says custumer reviews from their web page. Think My monitor is kaput?

19. ddp

it is possible to have fixed but might cost more than a new momitor. 1 of the guys i worked with told me of his father re-energizing the phosphorous on picture tubes for tvs which a computer monitor is basically is. so up to you what to do as can use sick monitor on the gateway if get it to work properly & get a new monitor

20. zenarrrow

zenarrrow Regular member

Dang I think Dell had this planned out. Just as soon as the warrintee expired. Any flat screen will do, any preferances you have?