1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Generic Cables vs. Monster, etc.

Discussion in 'Receivers and amplifiers' started by tbeeghly, Apr 25, 2007.

1. tbeeghly

tbeeghly Member

I have a Monster Toslink cable for my XBox 360 and my DVD's and games sound great. I bought a generic Toslink off Ebay for my PS2 for around 5 dollars. I haven't received it yet but I was just wondering, does the brand really make a difference? I heard that as long as light gets to the receiver it comes through clear. I also bought generic PS2 component cables and male to male component cables. Thanks for any insight.

2. MichaelP1

MichaelP1 Guest

i highly doubt you will be able to tell a difference between the two

but with an Highend AV system you can

3. JVC

JVC Active member

I agree, except the part about a high end A/V system. Even then, I doubt you'd hear a difference.
    Stay as far away as possible from Monster cables! They work ok, but are ridiculously over-priced.

4. Halen5150

Halen5150 Regular member

According to the AVS Forum; many members will say that it doesn't really matter too much; but that doesn't mean you should go out and buy the cheapest cables you can find, either.

I've heard many times over that a REALLY GOOD place to get cables from is monoprice.com; their prices aren't too bad either, also;)

Have Fun;

--Halen5150

5. tbeeghly

tbeeghly Member

For anyone else's interest, I received the cables and guess what, I can't tell a difference. I don't have a highend setup either, a Yamaha HTR-5740 and 5 Kenwood speakers. Could not tell a difference between my 40 dollar Monster cable and this generic. Still haven't received the components to test those though.

6. genus67

genus67 Member

Monser cables are good as long as you can afford them.

7. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

buying the better cables like Monster or Silver Serpent will help you're bottom end (Bass) somewhat