1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gentoo_64 vs. Mandriva2006_64 on zv6000

Discussion in 'Linux - General discussion' started by lien419, Mar 9, 2006.

1. lien419

lien419 Guest

I found this thread
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/3/262857#1822136
    to be interesting. I have a zv6000 and want to go Linux. I have a bit of experience(installs) with mandrake9.1 on my desktop at work, and SGIs. I do a lot of scientific stuff and have my eyes on Gentoo or Mandriva 06.

However, I would like to hear any info or based opinions on Gentoo64, especially vs. Mandriva06. Mainly on ease of install and use on zv6000 and abundance of scientific packages.

Of course mandrake9.1 was a breeze after a few installs to get all right, but I went to the other extreme with what I call those dreaded UNIX installs. Anyway I have no experience between and especially on a laptop, but I sure could get a lot more done at 64 and not have to worry about all the security crap that has to come with windows (uggh).

Ya I'm new here.

2. lien419

lien419 Guest

Been lookin around, and am wondering if I could install Solaris or other unix on this zv6000?

3. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

you can use Solaris for Intel, works nice, and various flavours of Linux/BSD etc