1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Getting A 3DSXL want to hack old DSIXL got a few questions

Discussion in 'Nintendo DS' started by treatyoself, Dec 7, 2012.

1. treatyoself

treatyoself Member

My son currently has a DsiXL but he wants the 3DSXL now. I have modded his wii and other systems but I have a few questions. Normally I would spend a lot of time finding these answers but I am in a time crunch so thank you for your help.

As I have read currently you can hack the 3dsxl but can only play ds games and not 3ds, so all 3ds games must be purchased right?

If that is correct from what I have read then I have no intention of hacking the 3ds at this time but want to do his DSIXL. What cards are currently the best for that?

Is there any reason/advantages to flash 3ds? Any reason I should flash them both? Is there any serious risk like bricking it as you can the wii when doing this?

When it is flashed are there things i should avoid doing?

I know if they push a firmware update it can block the card. My son rarely connects his to his to wifi so if he doesn't connect it then that would it still be a concern? If he did go online is there anything I should do and if it does update itself what steps do I take to getting it back to flashed?

If there is anything else you think I should know please feel free to add it. I really appreciate this, i was wanting to buy it tomorrow so when he comes home from spending time with my grandparents sunday morning he will see a gift Santa left him for doing so well in school since having to miss for a month due to a severe illness. THANK YOU!

Last edited: Dec 7, 2012
  2. xbox09

xbox09 Member

yes, currently no flashcart can play 3ds roms yet.

3. shalome

shalome Regular member

First: As you said, no flash cart play 3ds games, only support ds games.

Seocond: the best flash carts for a 3DS or 3ds xl are r4i gold 3ds and dstwo. check here: http://www.dsflashcart.com/r4i-gold-3ds-wood-r4i-3ds-flashcard-for-ds-dsi-3ds-p-248.html

Third: The new 3ds xl firmware always block the flash cart, such as the new 3ds xl firmware V4.5.0-10 released a few days ago, blocked flashh carts, only r4i gold 3ds and dstwo currently can work on it.

For the future firmware update, when a new firmware releases, remember not update it instantly, the console itself won't update it automatically unless you accept it. Before you do the update, you need to update your flash cart first.

At last, there is a chance that the new 3ds xl you will buy will come with the latest 3ds xl V4.5.0-10 firmware, so just buy a pre flashed flashcart working for it will be better. so when you get the card, you dont need to update it with a DS console.

4. shalome

shalome Regular member

First: As you said, no flash cart play 3ds games, only support ds games.

Seocond: the best flash carts for a 3DS or 3ds xl are r4i gold 3ds and dstwo. check here: http://www.dsflashcart.com/r4i-gold-3ds-wood-r4i-3ds-flashcard-for-ds-dsi-3ds-p-248.html

Third: The new 3ds xl firmware always block the flash cart, such as the new 3ds xl firmware V4.5.0-10 released a few days ago, blocked flashh carts, only r4i gold 3ds and dstwo currently can work on it.

For the future firmware update, when a new firmware releases, remember not update it instantly, the console itself won't update it automatically unless you accept it. Before you do the update, you need to update your flash cart first.

At last, there is a chance that the new 3ds xl you will buy will come with the latest 3ds xl V4.5.0-10 firmware, so just buy a pre flashed flashcart working for it will be better. so when you get the card, you dont need to update it with a DS console.