1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Getting a burner

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by aznbound, Sep 11, 2004.

1. aznbound

aznbound Regular member

Sorry but Im not good at all this burner things but I was thinking of getting a burner. I know external burners cost more so i was just thinking of getting an internal one. My question is, how hard is it to install an internal one if youre new to this, like me? They say u open up the pc and put it in an empty socket. I only have a cd-writer and a dvd-rom drive so where do i put in empty dvd's after installing? do i just put it in the cd-writer drive?

2. StanH1000

StanH1000 Regular member

You really don't need three optical drives and external burners cost more, anyway. If you can figure out how to remove the CD burner, putting in the DVD burner is a snap. 15 min project.
    Just make sure jumper setting on back of the DVD burner drive is set the same as the CD burner and connect the other cables that you unplug. Can even reuse the hold down screws. Would leave the present DVD reader alone, just swap out the burners and keep the same jumper setting.

3. aznbound

aznbound Regular member

So do i have to open up my pc and check what the jumper thing of my cdburner is before i get an internal dvd burner, or is it all the same? And are there any big risks when switching the 2 burners cause I dont want to accidentaly do something to mess up my pc.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]What I have shown you is reality. What you remember, that is the illusion. - Sephiroth[/small]

Last edited: Sep 11, 2004
  4. StanH1000

StanH1000 Regular member

Go ahead and buy the burner. All have same choices for jumper setting - six pins - all you hace to do is connect two of them with suppled connector. Choices are Master, Slave, or Cable Select. Just use the same setting as on the CD burner you are removing.
    Cables are an IDE cable, Power cable, and possibly an Audio connection to your sound card. All are different sizes and can't be used in the wrong place. Just unplug them from the CD burner and into the new DVD burner.
    Takes more time to open the case and unscrew the old drive than to connect and put in the new one!

5. aznbound

aznbound Regular member

Thanks a lot. So all I do is open the side panel and switch the 2 burners. Sounds easy enough.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]What I have shown you is reality. What you remember, that is the illusion. - Sephiroth[/small]

Last edited: Sep 12, 2004
  6. agent-k

agent-k Regular member

I do. I use the dvd rom and the dvd writer for copying dvd's 'on the fly', and I use a 2-sheep cd-rw for perfect copies of pc games.
    I couldn't do it any other way.

7. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Three drives makes perfest sense for many folks. Take my setup for example:

Plextor PX-708A for burning DVD's.

Plextor Premium for backing up PC games and making audio CD's.

Lite-On 166S for all my ripping chores. No sense in wearing out expensive burners doing ripping chores.

@ aznbound,

Here are a couple of cool links that may help you with installing your drive(s):

http://www.helpwithpcs.com/upgrading/installing_cd_recorder.htm

http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/article/0,aid,113461,pg,2,00.asp

Let us know how it goes :)

8. aznbound

aznbound Regular member

Thanks, I marked those pages down. It looks pretty easy. Is there a really big risk in doing it myself though? And does ripping an image really wear out a burner that much?

9. Nephilim

Drives certainly have a finite lifespan so using the drive to rip is going to wear it out faster especially at high speeds since the motor has to spin up a lot faster than it normally would.

10. Nephilim

Crap, I hit reply too soon!

If you can tie your shoes you can install a drive. Just make sure the PC is powered down and that you touch the power supply to discharge any static before messing with the insides :)

11. aznbound

aznbound Regular member

12. Molder

Molder Regular member

aznbound,
    That Samsung is a DVD reader and CD writer. You will not be able to burner DVDs with that drive.

Mark

13. Molder

Molder Regular member

14. Nephilim

15. aznbound

aznbound Regular member

Thanks for the sites and no, i already have a dvd rom. i just need a burner.

16. Nephilim

Ooops! I get threads mixed up :)