1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Getting a DVD copy program which one?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Xenokai, Dec 2, 2004.

1. Xenokai

Xenokai Regular member

2. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

try the free stuff first. DVD Shrink and DVD Decrypter.

3. Xenokai

Xenokai Regular member

do i need both of them or just dvd shrink btw i live in the usa is it legal and if not will i be caught for dling it?

4. flip218

DVD Shrink doesn't allow you to burn. You can use DVD Decrypter, Nero or CopyToDVD to burn.

I believe Roxio will also work.

5. Xenokai

Xenokai Regular member

can i just use Sonic RecordNow or InterVideo WinDVD Creator to burn to dvd once ive copyed the dvd with shrink?

6. brobear

brobear Guest

I've heard of no one being busted for owning recording apps yet. It's sort of what you use them for. In the US some programs have been deemed illegal by the court, those with decryption software. You can get an app like DVD Decrypter and use it to rip and then use an encoding and recording app to copy and burn to disc.

The issue of what's fair use by the consumer is still being fought in the courts. The contention is that 1 copy of a purchased original for backup is fair use. The studios disagree and currently the copyright laws tend to agree with the studios. Now you know the situation.

Here is some beginner info you may find useful:

Info for beginners: (I'll mention a few popular programs, but there are others of these types.)
    Backing up factory DVD movies has 3 basic steps and a few things to remember. The steps are 1)Decrypt/deCSS; 2)Encode/Transcode (Fit to the target disc, shrink when necessary); and 3)Burn.

You can have one program that does it all, some programs do a couple of the steps and some only do one step or one step at a time.

Decrypting can be done with driver type decrypters like AnyDVD or with apps such as DVD Decrypter or DVD Shrink.

DVD Decrypter is used to decrypt and rip files to the (HD) hard drive. If DVD Decrypter is going to be used as a burner, 2 important things have to be remembered.
    1)Use the ISO read mode to decrypt and
    2)the file size has to be below 4.37 (GB) gigabytes.
    If the file is above 4.37GB, DVD Decrypter cannot burn the ISO file to a 4.7GB disc. [Note: 4.7 is a retail designation for a disc; the actual size of a 4.7 disc that a computer reads is 4.37GB.] File size is important to know.

DVD Shrink can be used to decrypt and rip to the HD. Normally though, Shrink is used to decrypt a disc, using a temporary file, and transcoding the file in preparation to be burned. Nero isn't part of Shrink, but is the default app that Shrink uses to burn automatically. Shrink can also use DVD Decrypter in ISO burn mode and CopytoDVD can also be used. I suggest Nero, as DVD Shrink is already set to use it. Nero can be downloaded for a 30 day full trial and there is no limit to the downloads.

There are a number of transcoding programs, browsing the forums can get a lot of info on those. It's already been mentioned what they do. Just remember, simply speaking, this step is to prep the file for burning.

There are a number of apps on the market now. Due to laws, most of the popular recording programs now are trancoding and burning programs. These recording programs have to have a decrypter. With a driver type decrypter the program runs as though it was one of the older ripper programs that did everything. With the manual type decrypters the files are ripped to the HD and the file then has to be opened by the recording program.

Burner or recording programs are either incorporated into programs or are separate in recording suites. I mentioned Nero as it is a favorite on many forums and a favorite of mine. There are others.

7. brobear

brobear Guest

Sorry to have dumped that in there all at once. I didn't realize Flip was still here. Any app that can record DVD and do a good job can burn a prepared DVD file that you have on the hard drive. The only 3 that burn automatically with DVD Shrink are Nero, the default app, DVD Decrypter in the ISO mode and CopyToDVD.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 2, 2004
  8. brobear

brobear Guest

Creator is a bit elaborate for just burning. The RecordNow will probably do the job as long as the video is already encoded and in the right format. For doing much video work I would suggest switching to Nero. You have a variety of programs included in the recording suite and many of us have found this suite more useful over all than most others.

9. brobear

brobear Guest

You mentioned an InterVideo product. Their best recording app for DVD is the DVDCopy2. You need a decrypter program with that. The background decrypter AnyDVD is an excellent choice though retail. The DVD Decrypter is the best app for decrypting and ripping to the hard drive. DVDCopy2 works either way as do most encoding and recording apps.

10. Xenokai

Xenokai Regular member

alright thxs ill prob be back in 2 weeks whn i have my pc im getting

11. brobear

brobear Guest

I noticed Flip mentioned trying the free programs first. I agree with him wholeheartedly. Use the free stuff and trials and when you get familiar with the workings of these programs, you can make a more informed decision on purchasing retail apps and deciding which will do what you want.

12. brobear

brobear Guest

On that PC you might want to shop around. Take a look at some Dells. You will want a good video graphics card and an audio card instead of integrated packs. The separate cards work better. Also, the front side bus at 400MHz is slow, 800 is more the norm now and there are higher on the market. The fsb makes a difference in speed. Another thing to think about is the RAM. 512MB is good but for DVD work 1GB is better. RAM is the cheapest of the best upgrades you can do on a PC. Another thought is to get a PC with a Good DVD ROM Drive and add your own dvd/cd burner. The new Plextor dual layer burner would be one of my major considerations. If you need just a package PC though, I'd still look at the Dells.

13. Xenokai

Xenokai Regular member

nah i already have this pc on lay away im on out dell 2400 right now but i wanted my own <this is my faimlys pc> and was just gnna try to burn dvds and such plus this pc is upgradeble in grafics and in memory <i asked HP> so im good to go if i need to upgrade HP is becoming as popular as dell and there support is better than dell <called dell for help on our pc and got some guy that couldnt even speak english enough to hear him but i like this dell but its weak and non dvd drive and 128 ram =/

14. brobear

brobear Guest

Matter of preferences as it normally goes. I'm running a higher end Dell with nice options and I've done a bunch of upgrades myself. Not everything is Dell, it was just a good starting setup.

The equipment I ordered was cheaper than separate items for a build and then I just added some items to make it more personalized for my applications. Sounds like you have similar plans for the HP. Nothing wrong with that as long as you realize you'll probably need the upgrades fairly soon if you're going to do much video work.

I have 1GB RAM and intend to get more. Started with an 800 MHz fsb. Got that as it's better than the older 400 fsb configuration and much faster. Added a 250GB HD to go with the 80GB that came with it. Added my own burner to replace a free CD burner that came stock. I'd ordered a DVD ROM for reading the discs. I added other items, but this was right off to prep for DVD Video work. I ordered it with the graphics and sound cards, cheaper as part of a package.

I mentioned this just to give you an idea of the demands video work can place on a system. You can work with the basics and lower capacity systems, but it makes it a lot easier when you have the right equipment to do the job.

15. brobear

brobear Guest

BTW, the trick to dealing with Dell service is to get a tech instead of the farmed out staffers from 3rd world countries that are working off cue cards. Like most companies, they're trying to save some bucks. At least they aren't sacrificing equipment quality yet. Dell isn't the only one going on the cheap either.

16. Xenokai

Xenokai Regular member

yeah ill prob get another ram car so ill have like 1 gb of memory and a good grafics card btw how did u make urs 800mhz fbs does it depend on the ram card you put in it?

17. brobear

brobear Guest

It depends on the chipset and board. You buy it as part of the package. I just noticed the PC you are getting will limit you due to the 400MHz fsb. Read up on front side bus and you'll see what I mean.

18. flip218

build your own ... it's worth it :)

19. Xenokai

Xenokai Regular member

nah ill just get this pc for gaming after i upgrade cause i dont wanna spend thousands just for a pc i surf the net but my frnd has a sony vaio 4 or 5 years old and it runs ffxi with the uograded grafic and im pretty sure it doesnt have more than 400 fbs long as the pc will run games like EQ2 <when upgraded grafics or ram> ill be satisfied